Feb.1 Culver Academies (IN) V and FS Tourneys (IS132/IS133A)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pblessman
Rikku

Feb.1 Culver Academies (IN) V and FS Tourneys (IS132/IS133A)

Post by pblessman »

Culver Academies are proud to announce our 2014 High School Quizbowl Tournaments! The Tenth Annual Culver Academies Varsity Invitational and Ninth Annual Frosh/Soph Tournament will be held on February 1, 2014. Culver is located 1 hour South of South Bend, 2 hours North of indianapolis, 2 hours Southeast of Chicago. We will be using NAQT IS-132 for Varsity and IS-133A for Frosh-Soph. We will play NAQT rules with the following modifications:

1. TIME: Rounds are un-timed and will have up to 20 TU/Bonus cycles with "mercy rule" checks setting in after 16 TU/Bonus cycles (explained in 2.).
2. MERCY RULE: If either team leads after 16 questions by 200 points or more, the game is over. After 17 questions, 150 points or more ends the game, 100+ after 18, 50+ after 19. This rule is intended to speed up the tournament yet maintain game integrity by not cutting matches short where a team can still legitimately catch up. It worked great last year, and we are looking forward to using this rule again this year.
3. COMP MATH: No comp math TUs or Bonuses will be read.
4. TRASH: I cut out most of the TRASH. I don't like TRASH. I defined TRASH here. No protests of "THAT'S TRASH!" allowed.

Each team will be guaranteed a minimum of eight games, with round robins being held in the morning and playoff round robins being held in the afternoon. The Registration Fee is $70 per team, with a discount of $10 available if you bring a working buzzer system, a $10 discount/team if your school is more than 150 mi from Culver, and a $20 discount per team if your school is more than 300 miles from Culver. Good moderators are sought for this tournament- we will pay each moderator $50 for the day (cash or registration credit for a team).

To guarantee your spots, please post here or e-mail Phil Blessman at blessmp [at] culver [dot] org by January 15, 2014, indicating the number of varsity and/or Frosh/Soph teams you would like to bring. We look forward to welcoming you to Culver Academies for our Quizbowl tournaments! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time!

P.S.: We have substantial housing available at the campus motel at a cost of $20 per two-person room. Lunch in our dining hall is pretty good, AYCE, and only $7 per person. Breakfast and dinner are also available to teams staying overnight at a cost of $6 and $8 per person respectively.

Current Field: (as of 1/29/14)

Frosh Soph: 16 Teams
Culver (IN) A
Culver (IN) B
Culver (IN) Scab (It's complicated)
DCC (MI) A
DCC (MI) B
DCC (MI) C
Delphi (IN)
Harrison (IN) A
Harrison (IN) B
Kalamazoo Christian (MI)
North Miami (IN)
North White (IN)
Pioneer (IN) A
Pioneer (IN) B
Sidney (OH)
St. Joseph (IN)

Varsity: 12 Teams+ 1 Wait List
Culver (IN) A
Culver (IN) B
Delphi (IN) A
Delphi (IN) B
Kalamazoo Christian (MI)
North Miami (IN)
North White (IN)
Northmont (OH) A
Northmont (OH) B
Northmont (OH) C
St. Joseph (IN) A
St. Joseph (IN) B
Tippecanoe (OH)

WAITLIST: Harrison (IN) Varsity
Last edited by pblessman on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach
pblessman
Rikku

Re: Feb.1 Culver Academies (IN) V and FS Tourneys (IS132/IS1

Post by pblessman »

Field update posted above. Starting to like a good quality field with four states represented in both divisions.
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Phil, our C team is good to go, so we will be at 3 teams.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Thanks, David. We are now at 14 Varsity plus a couple tentative, and FS is at 13. I have at least one school thinking about entering some teams, so it looks like we'll be around 30 teams total. If there are any more schools out there thinking about attending, please let me know by Monday night (1/20). I'd like to close the field, set brackets, etc.