10-team league schedule

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dtaylor4
Auron

10-team league schedule

Post by dtaylor4 »

A local conference I work with is growing to 10 teams, and as of yet I am unable to come up with a reasonable schedule. If someone has a schedule template they are willing to share, I will be very grateful.

Right now, the 9-team league takes place over 4 Tuesday nights (they also do a Saturday RR tournament), and I am looking for something similar, if possible.
iLoveAnime

Re: 10-team league schedule

Post by iLoveAnime »

I actually am interested to hear some ideas, too. Our conference has 12 teams, and we just play 6 meets over the year, and we play the same team for our first and last games, so that each team plays 12 games.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I think we need a list of things you can / can not do. For example, would your league allow four teams to come together and play 3 matches in one night? Do you want every team playing every other team exactly once, or would a "playoff phase" be OK?
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Every team plays each other once. 3 rounds in one night is OK.
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

If I remember correctly, my local high school league separates the 10 teams into 2 sites for one night. One site has 4 teams and one has 6 teams. The 4 teams play a round robin; the 6 teams divide into 2 groups and play each team from the other group, so everybody plays 3 rounds for the night regardless of which site/group they're in. I believe this setup allows for everyone to play each other once within 3 nights.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
QuizLegacy
Lulu

Post by QuizLegacy »

I'm not quite sure if this is still helpful, but the following format would work:

Day 1: ABCJ, DEF, GHI
Day 2: ADGJ, BEH, CFI
Day 3: AEIJ, BFG, CDH
Day 4: AFHJ, BDI, CEG

*Note that while all teams will have one day with three matches, A and J play every day. A way to avoid this is to simply schedule the A vs. J matches for the first round, and on days 2-4, they could either agree to skip the match and show up for the second round, or play a practice match.
David Noble
Park High School, Livingston, MT
Class of '16