Trash mashup packet discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
marianna
Rikku

Trash mashup packet discussion

Post by marianna »

Probably don't want this clogging up the other threads...

Post commentary on the trash mashups here. How was the difficulty/creativity/enjoyability?

*EDIT:* Trash packet that is.
Last edited by marianna on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Re: Trash discussion

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

I was preparing to leave mortified at how awful the trash was, but I enjoyed the trash esp. the pokemon biology bonus. A number of them had very good easy medium hard structures. Also can i see the trash bonus from round 1, on serial/cereal or whatever?

EDIT: Woops misinterpreted that. The R.E.M Forster started off the Forster clues with works that were already mentioned in one of the morning rounds. Also Modest Mousegorsky and Straight Out of Compton Scattering are unimaginitive IMO because those would probably be one of the first things to pop into my head. This was fun though.
Last edited by ProfessorIanDuncan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
marianna
Rikku

Re: Trash mashup packet discussion

Post by marianna »

Whoops, I meant the trash mashups, but here you go:
Prison Bowl VI, Round 01 wrote:11. Answer some questions about cereal for 10 points each.
[10] This Kellogg cereal known as Zucaritas in Latin America is a good source of Vitamin D. Its namesake flattened corn pieces are coated in sugar, and Tony the Tiger insists that they are delicious.
ANSWER: Kellogg's Frosted Flakes
[10] This fictional serial killer is depicted in The Silence of the Lambs. In the movie adaptation, he is played by Anthony Hopkins and claimed to have eaten a census taker’s liver with “some fava beans and a nice chianti”.
ANSWER: Hannibal Lecter
[10] A “serial” variety of these punctuation marks may be placed before a coordinating conjunction in a list of three or more terms. The Oxford University Press insists on the usage of these to prevent ambiguity.
ANSWER: serial commas [or Oxford commas] <WR>
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:The R.E.M Forster started off the Forster clues with works that were already mentioned in one of the morning rounds.
Whoops, we'll cut that and replace it with something else.
ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:Also Modest Mousegorsky and Straight Out of Compton Scattering are unimaginitive IMO because those would probably be one of the first things to pop into my head.
Ouch, the former was my tossup. We have some more non-overlapping mashups in the works, hopefully they're more original!
ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:This was fun though.
Glad to hear it!
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

At the Virginia Tech mirror, we gathered everyone up in an auditorium at the end of the tournament and read the packet for everyone to play on (including staff!) while we compiled final stats and finished cleaning up before awards. Everyone really enjoyed the packet and it made for a great way to entertain while we took care of administrative stuff.

Favorite answerline of the packet may be "The Little Prince of Bel-Air" or "Warren Wobuffet."
Brian Mongilio
Virginia Tech '16, Treasurer 2011-Present
Parkersburg South (WV) '11
nittles
Kimahri

Post by nittles »

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:I was preparing to leave mortified at how awful the trash was, but I enjoyed the trash esp. the pokemon biology bonus.
Pokemon biology was under the science distribution. I added Pokemon to make a boring bonus more exciting. Seems like it worked.
Huntur wrote:At the Virginia Tech mirror, we gathered everyone up in an auditorium at the end of the tournament and read the packet for everyone to play on (including staff!) while we compiled final stats and finished cleaning up before awards. Everyone really enjoyed the packet and it made for a great way to entertain while we took care of administrative stuff.

Favorite answerline of the packet may be "The Little Prince of Bel-Air" or "Warren Wobuffet."
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. We spent a couple of train rides thinking up good answer lines. It's a good deal more difficult than it seems.
Wilton Rao
Hunter '13
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Could I please see the Pokemon biology question?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Prison Bowl VI, Round 2 wrote:4. For 10 points each, name these biological terms explained using Pokémon.
[10] In Pokémon, this process occurs instantaneously, turning a Chikorita into a Bayleef after it hits level 16. In the real world, this process happens slowly as successive generations change in genetic composition.
ANSWER: evolution
[10] This term encompasses both a Caterpie’s habitat, the forest, as well as its trophic position as a Vermilion flower-eating primary consumer. This word refers to a species’s unique ecological role.
ANSWER: ecological niche
[10] In this process, a single species, like an Eevee, evolves rapidly into many different species, like a Jolteon or a Flareon, when exposed to different environments. This process also resulted in 14 species of Galapagos finches.
ANSWER: adaptive radiation <SH>
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE