JAMES is looking for mirrors!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

JAMES is looking for mirrors!

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Thomas Jefferson HS for Science and Technology (TJHSST) of Alexandria, VA and the Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA) of Austin, TX are now seeking mirrors nationwide for JAMES (Just Another Magnificent Extravaganza for Students), a housewrite to be produced as a collaboration between both schools. The mirror fee will be $10 per team attending the mirror site. JAMES will be available for mirroring from March 9, which is the date of the TJ host tournament, until late in fall 2013 (to be conceivably extended if further interest arises).

Schools interested in mirroring this excellent set should contact: tjhsstquizbowl[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Set Details:

JAMES will be written by the members of the TJ and LASA teams and head edited by myself (Raynor Kuang) of TJ, James Bradbury of Stanford, and Daniel Hothem of UVA. It will consist of 14 packets, one of which is intended as an emergency/tiebreaker packet of comparable difficulty to the 13 normal rounds. Each packet will consist of 22 pyramidal tossups, with power marks, and 22 three-part bonuses. This set has been certified "exemplary" by the PACE Question Set Certification Program.

Difficulty:

Tossups will be five and a half to six and a half lines long in 10 point Times New Roman font. We are aiming at a difficulty on par with slightly harder than HSAPQ Regular and slightly easier than TJ's previous housewrite OLEFIN. The set will be playtested to ensure that it is accessible to all high school teams.

Distribution:

The twenty regulation questions in each set will follow this approximate distribution of subjects. Tiebreakers will be clumped around Literature, History, and Science, but will otherwise be distributed throughout subjects. This set will not contain computational math (regular math is lumped in under science).

-3/3 Fine Arts
-1/1 Geography
-4/4 History
-4/4 Literature
-1/1 Mythology
-0.5/0.5 Philosophy
-0.5/0.5 Religion
-4/4 Science
-1/1 Social Science
-0.5/0.5 Current Events
-0.5/0.5 Trash (Popular Culture and Sports)

Speaking of trash...

In addition to JAMES, TJ and LASA will be offering a complimentary 38 tossup (don't ask how we got to that number, it just happened) trash packet written by TJ and LASA members, to be played however the host site wishes. The distribution of this trash set is tentative, as is the number of questions included (it's looking pretty set at it's current number right now, but I may not be able to resist writing that inane tossup on Pokemon Pinball), but it will be completely free to any school that mirrors JAMES. All we ask is that if hosts do host a side tournament using this set, they either offer it for free, or donate the proceedings to charity (as TJ plans to do at its host tournament).

Current mirrors:

Loyola (IL) on 4/13/13 (done!)
Stanford (CA) on 5/11/13 (done!)
MIT (MA) on 9/21/13 (done!)
Madison (San Diego; CA) on 9/28/13 (done!)
Auburn University (AL) on 10/19/13 (done!)
Arizona Quizbowl Association (AZ) on 10/26/13 (done!)
Woodson HS (host site, in collab with TJ; VA) on 11/16/13 (done!)
Lisgar Collegiate Institute (Ottawa, ON) on 11/16/13 (done!)
Fort Osage High School (MO) on 11/16/13 (done!)
Centralia HS (MO) on 11/16/13 (done!)
Western Kentucky University (KY) on 11/23/13 (done!)
Chattahoochee HS, John's Creek (GA) on 12/14/13 (done!)
Kickapoo HS, Springfield (MO) on 2/1/14
Kaneland HS (Maple Park, IL) on 2/1/14
Germantown HS (TN) on 2/1/14
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: JAMES is looking for mirrors!

I'm going to start playtesting this set on IRC soon, and all people ineligible to play the actual set are free to drop by and give some feedback.

The first bout should took place tomorrow (Friday, 2/7) at 8:00 PM EST in SlashNET at #tjqb. I plan to just do literature, but if time permits I might do myth as well.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Unfortunately, a conflict came up on my end and I won't be able to do playtesting tonight. Playtesting should take place tomorrow night, same time, same channel, same subject.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Can someone from TJ or LASA get in contact with me ASAP? I emailed yesterday and haven't heard back. The passwords for rounds 3 and 10 don't work, so we are short two rounds.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Hey Mr. Laird:

I just sent you the packets. Sorry about that--I have no idea what was wrong with the passwords. Best of luck with the rest of tournament, and I'm incredibly sorry if this caused major problems with the tournament--it was completely my fault for not responding earlier.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

As the school year nears, I'd like to note that this set is still available for mirrors in the coming fall, and possibly into the winter if interest merits it. We are currently looking for mirrors in the South and Midwest; check the original post to see an updated list of host sites.

In addition, since I last posted the mirror request, this set has received "exemplary" certification from the PACE Set Certification Program, in the company of such other esteemed sets as GSAC XX and LIST III.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Raynor,

Is JAMES still available for mirrors this winter? Chattahoochee might be interested if it is. We host the second Saturday in December and typically have about 60 teams in attendance. You can email me or PM me with details. Thanks.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

As a consolidated update post, mirrors have been announced for MIT, Auburn University, Lisgar Collegiate Institue, Western Kentucky University, and Chattahoochee HS. See the original post for the dates.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

It looks like all mirrors have concluded, but I just wanted to triple-check that this set is clear for discussion before approving it to be posted on quizbowlpackets. (Sorry for the delay on this...)
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!