LIST Mirror @ Michigan (2/16/2013)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ringil
Rikku

LIST Mirror @ Michigan (2/16/2013)

Post by Ringil »

This is the official announcement of the Michigan mirror of the third incarnation of the Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament (LIST) on Saturday February 16th, 2013 hosted by the University of MIchigan.

This tournament will almost assuredly take place on the third floor of Mason Hall, where all our previous tournaments have taken place.

More information about registration times will be available closer to the day of the tournament, but the tournament will probably begin at 10am.

The questions will come from LIST III, a tournament written by the quizbowl team of Ladue High School in Ladue, MO. More information about this set is available here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=13386

Packets consist of 20 tossups with 30-point bonuses. There are no timers involved. The questions will be distributed for free in electronic format after all sites have been completed. Sample packets from last year's incarnation can be found here: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/58/

The field will be initially capped at 24 until we are better aware of our staff situation. The tournament will likely involve brackets of some sort so all teams will play some number of afternoon rounds.

To register, send an e-mail to zengl (at) umich (dot) edu that includes your name, school, number of teams, number of buzzers you can bring, a phone number, and a confirmation e-mail address. If your registration e-mail does not include ALL of this information, you will not be officially registered and thus will not be guaranteed a spot in the field. When I receive your registration, I will send you an e-mail calculating your fee. If you note an error in my calculations, or if I fail to send you this notice promptly, please e-mail me and let me know.

Fees
First team from a school $70
Each additional team from a school $50

For US high schools, $ is USD. For Canadian high schools, $ is your choice of CAD or USD.

Discounts
Discount for a fully functional buzzer system -$10
New program discount** -$10/team
Distance discount (100-275 miles)*** -$10/team
Extreme distance discount (over 275 miles)*** -$50/team
Minimum entry fee per team $0

** If your school has not participated in a University of Michigan tournament within the past two years, then you are eligible for this discount.
*** Distances are determined as based on distance one way from your school to the tournament site according to maps.google.com.

Checks should be made out to "Michigan Academic Competitions." While we prefer that you bring them to the tournament and hand them in at registration, if this is not possible, you can mail the check to:

Michigan Academic Competitions
C/O The University Activities Center
4002 Michigan Union
530 S State St
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1349

If you have specific questions about the tournament, please do not hesitate to contact me (Libo Zeng) by e-mail at zengl (at) umich (dot) edu.
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Ringil
Rikku

Re: LIST Mirror @ Michigan (2/16/2013)

Post by Ringil »

Field (23):
Utica (1)
Summit Academy (1)
Troy (3)
Jackson (1)
Brighton (3)
DCDS (2)
DCC (3)
UoD Jesuit (1)
Truman (1)
Skyline (2)
New Boston Huron (1)
Divine Child (3)
Cabrini (1)
Last edited by Ringil on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Libo
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

So, this tournament will be this weekend. Here are some final details:

The tournament will begin at 9:30am,with check-in and other things beginning at 8:45. It will be held on the third floor of Mason Hall like our previous tournaments.

The schedule looks likely to be 4 brackets of 6 teams followed by some sort of playoffs as we currently have 24 teams signed up.
Libo
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Libo
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Results:
1st: DCD A
2nd: DCC A
3rd: Troy B

Some sort of stats are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
We are aware there are major errors in these stats and will seek to rectify them over the next week.
Libo
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the set today! -- please remember not to publicly discuss any specifics, as there are still other mirrors yet-to-happen. A private discussion forum has been set up; to join it, go to user control panel (at top left of this page) --> usergroups (one of the tabs) --> toggle "LIST III discussion" and press join selected.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago