An observation about coaches

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tiwonge
Yuna

An observation about coaches

Post by tiwonge »

In my observation, it seems that math teachers are over-represented as quiz bowl coaches.

Does this bear out in the larger view? Is there some reason why math people seem more drawn to quiz bowl (despite it having a smaller representation in the canon), or why people who enjoy quiz bowl are drawn to teach math?
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Re: An observation about coaches

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Where are you getting this from? This isn't meant as an angry challenge to your statement, but just out of curiosity, because a lot of coaches in my area are humanities people.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

I guess my observation wasn't very universal. And my set of known quiz bowl coaches is somewhat small.

In Idaho, I suppose, a lot of the coaches are in the sciences because the longest-running thing here is a science bowl (that has some non-science questions in it). Maybe that colors my perception. The few high school coaches I know outside of the state are math teachers, too, but that might be that I tend to know math teachers.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

In Illinois, we have virtually all fields represented among our coaching staff.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I had had the same observation as Colin some time ago. Perhaps it's not true that coaches at large tend to be math teachers, but it certainly has been my experience that math teachers are overrepresented among coaches I know. But then again I interact with a very non-random sample of coaches.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

I've yet to see another coach in my area, ever.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

In my experience, math teachers are "over"-represented as coaches.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

A lot of the local teams you might play as apart of your league are probably like a football or basketball coach with likely no teaching position or has a gig like teaching gym and being the faculty advisor for such a quiz bowl team is apart of what keeps them employed by the school district. This is the case with a few of the schools in our area.

In Ohio, on the statewide level, the traditionally strong programs are coached by Social Studies teachers (like Copley, Fisher Catholic, and Tippecanoe). I know the coaches of Northmont, Olmsted Falls, Solon and company are teachers, I'm not sure what they teach though. I personally don't know any quiz bowl coaches in Ohio that are math teachers.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

For what it's worth, of the 363 active coaches in Illinois for which the IHSSBCA has info on subject(s) taught, 76 (21%) are teachers of math (and possibly of other subjects too). The next highest category is social studies of some kind (including history), then English.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Paula Pareto Optimality wrote:A lot of the local teams you might play as apart of your league are probably like a football or basketball coach with likely no teaching position or has a gig like teaching gym and being the faculty advisor for such a quiz bowl team is apart of what keeps them employed by the school district. This is the case with a few of the schools in our area.

In Ohio, on the statewide level, the traditionally strong programs are coached by Social Studies teachers (like Copley, Fisher Catholic, and Tippecanoe). I know the coaches of Northmont, Olmsted Falls, Solon and company are teachers, I'm not sure what they teach though. I personally don't know any quiz bowl coaches in Ohio that are math teachers.
IIRC, Bob Weiser of Solon is a retired Math teacher.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Inkana7 wrote:
Paula Pareto Optimality wrote:A lot of the local teams you might play as apart of your league are probably like a football or basketball coach with likely no teaching position or has a gig like teaching gym and being the faculty advisor for such a quiz bowl team is apart of what keeps them employed by the school district. This is the case with a few of the schools in our area.

IIRC, Bob Weiser of Solon is a retired Math teacher.
This is correct. It makes me wonder though; how many quizbowl coaches are retired teachers?
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10