How far can a blitz/creator-creation answer go?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Golran
Auron

How far can a blitz/creator-creation answer go?

Post by Golran »

I'm curious as to how far a person can go when answering a question with a blitz. For example if a person isn't paying attention to the pronoun or part of the question but then hears a clue that they recognize, like the snippet "tortured using rats in Room 101", could the person answer "Winston Smith being tortured by O'Brien in the Ministry of Love in George Orwell's 1984" since that clue corresponds to that action, and no part of the answer is incorrect (like if the player said "Julia being tortured ..."). Would this answer given be counted as correct for any of the answer lines Winston, O'Brien, Ministry of Love, Orwell, or 1984? I haven't seen this extreme example, but how far would be too far with a creator/creation blitz under the variety of formats?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Sir Thopas
Auron

Re: How far can a blitz/creator-creation answer go?

Post by Sir Thopas »

As long as all that information's correct, I see no problem with that.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
jkulesza
Lulu

Post by jkulesza »

Not that you're ever likely to coach a team in Illinois and under the Illinois High School Association scholastic bowl rules, but, as a point of comparison, the rule has been that up to 2 pieces of relevant and correct information could be shared. So, in your example, answers such as "O'Brien in 1984" or "George Orwell's character O'Brien" would both have been appropriate for an O'Brien answer line, but the following answer would have to be ruled incorrect: "George Orwell's character O'Brien in the Ministry of Love." Having said that, I did check to see if the rule has since changed, but the link to the rulebook on the website is not currently active (http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/ScholasticBowl.aspx).
Joe Kulesza
Glenbard North Quiz Bowl Coach
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Usually, it should only matter if the question itself is bad, and does not immediately point to a specific answer.

The rule I've seen used is that if any extraneous relevant information is incorrect, it's a neg, even if the correct answer is included. I see no problem with this.
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

What I've always wondered is if it's a character tossup and the blitz includes two characters (or anything similar). Were the 1984 example to happen with a blitz referencing a scene that wasn't specifically referenced in the question, how would that work?
Edit: I mean using the two characters as something like a net of guesses: all the information is correct but you list an extraneous piece of information as sort of an unfair insurance policy. (Obviously this wouldn't be at an IHSA tourney.)
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

What is supposed to happen if a middle sentence (so after uniquely identifying clues no one buzzed on) reads like, "Adam's Bridge connects this country to its northwestern neighbor", and you buzz at Adam's Bridge with "Adam's Bridge 'connects' India and Sri Lanka?" Should you get prompted, negged, or get it? Does the situation change if you say "Adam's Bridge 'connects' India to Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka is the one in the southeast?"
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Mewto55555 wrote:What is supposed to happen if a middle sentence (so after uniquely identifying clues no one buzzed on) reads like, "Adam's Bridge connects this country to its northwestern neighbor", and you buzz at Adam's Bridge with "Adam's Bridge 'connects' India and Sri Lanka?" Should you get prompted, negged, or get it? Does the situation change if you say "Adam's Bridge 'connects' India to Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka is the one in the southeast?"
Were I your moderator, I would ask you "what's your answer?"
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source