Illinois '12-'13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Illinois '12-'13

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

So, discuss Illinois things about next season here. I'll throw in something eventually once discussion kicks up a bit.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Re: Illinois '12-'13

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Carbondale's continuing success as program right now seems to be contingent on whether certain players' parents allow them to play the relatively intense schedule of Chicago-area tournaments that has made us nationally competitive. Assuming that all goes well, we have a solid four player squad of two juniors and two sophomores who should improve throughout the year. I'm confident that they'll be back in the top tier of teams by the end of the season, and barring that, next year.

As for the rest of the state, Loyola, Macomb, BN, and Auburn were all left with strong A-team players, and both Auburn and IMSA have contingents of skilled B-team players ready to make the jump up. I'm probably forgetting about or unaware of talent elsewhere in the state, but it seems right now we'll be hearing a lot about Dylan, Tristan, Morgan and Ian, the Pandyas and Anton next year.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

What is the status of BN's team? Will Mr. Basque be able to coach? Will BN have a team?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Harpie's Feather Duster

Mr. Basque's ability to coach us is still kind of in limbo at this point, but we have plans if we need them and will still be going to tournaments this year.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Auburn's situation is pretty up in the air, I think. Evan Pandya ('15) and Alex Pandya ('13) are both getting pretty solid in their areas, and should be among the strongest in their categories as far as Illinois is concerned (those categories being literature and science, respectively). I think for Auburn it really just comes down to how much history+other stuff can be covered by Mike Kikta ('13) and Kevin Staller ('13), who will probably round out the A Team. It will be the most balanced team scoring-wise that Auburn has had in a while, with Evan probably being the leading scorer.

As of now, I can't really say which team is going to be Illinois's #1. I'd guess that IMSA, Belvidere North, Loyola, Carbondale (they have several good players who didn't play a ton last year), Macomb, and Auburn will be the front-runners. I think you'd be hard-pressed to correctly pick the order in which those teams would finish in a tournament featuring all of them.

I feel like Stevenson's JV team was quite good at Auburn's JV tournament last year. I wonder if they've improved.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Harpie's Feather Duster

On Stevenson matters, I believe they return all of their B team that made the HSNCT playoffs plus Naranjan. They should be pretty solid.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

What I will be interested to see is how the game format changes in IHSA and Masonic 1) are received at the tournaments themselves, and 2) how they impact the secluded conferences/leagues in areas entrenched in the bad ancient ways.
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

I guess I'll go ahead and analyze teams.

Last year, Illinois was probably the deepest any single state has ever been in quizbowl: I feel that any of our top fifteen teams could have placed in the top five of any other state (except possibly Texas). However, with dozens of skilled players graduating, the field as a whole will be significantly weaker. As such, it will be much easier for teams to end up in the top 10-15 than it was last year. As such, we run the risk of declining in relevancy on the national stage, so the top teams need to be wary of resting on the laurels of local victories and keeping their eyes on overcoming national powerhouses.

1. IMSA

I'm not sure about IMSA being far and away the best team next year, but they certainly have the potential to. Although they graduate their entire A team, they retain a B team that consistently beat Belvidere North and Macomb both statwise and head-to-head last year (especially RAVE, NAQT State, and HSNCT). Anton is absolutely fantastic, especially considering he's only had one year of high school quizbowl, and both Saieesh and Sabrina are strong players that can provide a more solid foundation for Anton's streaks. In addition, considering IMSA went from a solid but not fantastic team in '10-'11 to rivaling Auburn as the best team in the state in '11-'12, I can definitely see this year's IMSA team pulling off a similar study binge this summer to emerge as the dominant team in the state come Earlybird.

A few caveats, though: Anton is extremely inconsistent. At RAVE, for instance, the first game he played vs New Trier he went 4-2-0 for a pretty conclusive win. The second game, he went 0-2-1, despite Andrew Wang actually having fewer powers than the first game. Consistency is going to be a major issue for IMSA this year, and is one they'll need to address if they expect a high nats finish. Another minor issue is the fact that Saieesh did not attend many tournaments until the end of the year; if this happens again, they may drop more games and not place as highly at weekly tournaments than they should. However, this will probably not impact them in the tournaments that really matter.

Final verdict: They will probably threepeat IHSA State because lol comp math. In addition, they are the clear favorites at any NAQT tournaments, considering their deep geo knowledge and general NAQT boost. Although they have the potential to, I feel that on paper they will not be dominant on mACF, and will be pretty even with the next few teams.

2. Macomb

Macomb will be able to capitalize on the fact that they return their entire team from next year. In other words, they return Tristan Willey. I've been consistently confused as to whether or not he is better than Dylan Minarik. The oddest thing about Tristan to me is that he seems pretty consistent from game to game at a single tournament, but is wildly inconsistent when you compare his performances at multiple tournaments. From his wild breakout at ACF Fall where he grailed a college team and upset Loyola, to his crazy high ppg at IMSANITY where he had 30 more ppg than Ben Chametzky and beat Carbondale, to his decent but not spectacular performance at RAVE where he lost to New Trier and IMSA B and didn't make the top bracket, to his somewhat disappointing HSNCT finish; I have been unable to really determine where I'd put him.

However, following ACE camp, I definitely felt he was much more impressive than Dylan was: Winning the Wildman tournament, holding me much closer in the Thursday night finals than Dylan would on Saturday night and subsequently beating Dylan's team on Friday night despite many negs, and outscoring Dylan in all but one practice (Also not being sent down to Room 2 for negging lol). He also struck me as being just naturally very studious, and I'd be willing to bet that he will pick up a lot more knowledge this summer than Dylan or I.

Final Verdict: Although Tristan is kinda hilariously bad at NAQT, Macomb will definitely be the team to beat on mACF tournaments. Their only real weakness is the fact that Tristan has even less of a supporting cast than Belvidere North's, a fact which is nigh-on startling in itself. Other than that, the only thing that will prevent Macomb from doing great at many tournaments next year will be not going to many tournaments next year.

3. Belvidere North

I've mostly already justified why I'm placing them below Macomb. Dylan, however, is pretty good at quizbowl too, and is definitely not far behind. Unlike Tristan, he also actually sort of has a supporting cast that could help him with some clutch buzzes, even if they do have a propensity for negging at inopportune times.

Final Verdict: They will not place at IHSA because IHSA's skilled seeding abilities will undoubtedly place them in the same pool as Loyola and IMSA, two games Dylan will drop because of his lack of comp math skill, specifically his belief that interest is not compounded on a leap year.

More seriously, the field this year is going to be very close, and Belvidere will probably split pretty even vs IMSA and Macomb.

4. Loyola

Oh god this is me

I'm going to avoid controversy and conservatively place my own team at #4, just because unlike the previous three teams, our current lineup has never played together and without Nolan, meaning there's no real way to judge how well we'll do against the other three teams. I personally expected we'd be pretty far behind the others, but we saw at ACE that I was able to at least hold my own against Dylan and Tristan, and, if I catch a packet, beat Dylan by over 200 points. Forming a full team will be difficult, however, since we lost our entire B team and Marcel as well as our SECOND highest scorer from HSNCT, the semi-decent quizbowl player Nolan Winkler.

Our definite top two for the A team:

Morgan Venkus: Yeah this is me. I'm very strong at RMP/SS and pretty good at lit and music. History, I have deep knowledge about certain things (mostly british history and things we talked about in APUSH or AP Euro), but I'm a terrible history generalist and have many subject areas that I'll only be able to convert at the end (notably did not know the Mughal empire existed until this year) Science I'm very good at frauding but will probably not get very much that I cannot fraud in the first couple lines, since I never bothered learning science clues after realizing Nolan was pretty much set on that. Meanwhile I will also convert zero things about geography, current events, visart, and other fine arts. I'm also kinda generally terrible at quizbowl because my stutter makes it hard to pull an answer even when I know it.

Ian Torres: Better known as FIFTEEN Torres, Ian has some great literature and music knowledge that will combine with mine to make us hopefully pretty good at both subjects. Although he isn't very good at science either, his fantastic real math knowledge and his decent knowledge of phys and bio will hopefully help us not completely suck at science next year. He also has good opera knowledge, which is good because I never picked that up, and as of ACE camp has decided that he will learn visarts, too, and has made some decent progress so far, which will be a fantastic boon to our team. He will also help us make it to IHSA state for the first time in years by being actually good at comp math, unlike every single other Loyola player ever.

Other players that may or may not fill out our roster:

Zach Hayes: In an ideal world, Zach Hayes would be the glue that holds our team together. He has some phenomenal real history knowledge that would be a much needed supplement to my own admittedly spotty history knowledge, and can actually get powers on Geo/Current Events/Other dumb NAQT things I don't want to learn. However that would involve him actually caring enough to A. Study at all, ever and B. Show up for any tournaments, ever. Since neither of the two aforementioned things seem likely to change, we will probably be second-tier next year. Should we somehow find a way to motivate him, I feel like that would be key to us being a serious threat.

Rosie Frehe: Very good at visarts, also has some great Greco-Roman history/mythology knowledge that is sadly pretty much overlapped by mine. Due to my weakness at visart, she will definitely be starting on the A team next year, but she might be swapped out later in the year if Ian keeps getting better at art and someone else gets actually good enough to warrant a spot on the A team. ...But that second thing is something that will never happen.

Joe Burke: Is ok at things but doesn't really have a category. Might be on the A team maybe?

Alex Smith: Definitely has potential to be good at science and/or history. Definitely won't actually bother to capitalize on that potential. If I can convince him to actually learn things he could be on the A team next year.

Final Verdict: Advantages: Unlike Belvidere and Macomb, having more than one player able to score more than 10 ppg; the fact that we go to more tournaments than any other team in the country
Disadvantages: Teammates that don't care; a distinct lack of Cahlfs; the fact that I'm not actually good at quizbowl

5. Auburn

The best thing about these guys is that they will actually be a well-rounded, consistent team! Alex Pandya will be able to get SCIENCE! fairly consistently: He notably got three questions against us at ATROPHY, which seems to imply that he beat Nolan to things. Evan Pandya is a great lit player and is the kind of kid who loves the game and is actually willing to put in the effort necessary to get good. He will definitely grow into a fantastic player and, since he is only a rising sophomore, will make Auburn a powerhouse in coming years, something that the previous three teams on this list cannot say. Mike Kikta and Kevin Staller will round out the team with art and history knowledge, respectively.
Final Verdict: They will certainly notch upsets over the above teams, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they win a tournament at some point. Since they are actually a well rounded, four man team, they probably have the biggest capacity for growth of anyone on the list.

Other than this top five, I don't feel comfortable ranking any other teams, just because no one returns a full A team and I don't have enough knowledge about other teams. Possible teams to watch out for:

Stevenson: Everyone assumed the post-Malis Stevenson would drop off the map, but they were actually pretty good, notably beating Loyola at Kickoffs. Similarly, even though they once again graduate their entire A team, they will again be solid, as their underclassmen managed to qualify for HSNCT playoffs and do decently at NSC.

Wheaton-Warrenville South: They return Anand from last year's A Team, who managed to outscore Ned at at least one tournament last year.

Wheaton North: They return top scorer Thomas Birt and possibly other people?

St. Viator: They had at least one person at ACE.

Fenton: Mr. Laudermith is a fantastic coach, and they return Greg, who was quite capable of winning games by himself when Blake Tutt had to be taken out for negging too much. He did pretty well at ACE, too., so I'd watch out for him.

Carbondale: Although they lose their entire A team to graduation and Argentine exchange programs, Mrs. Lorinskas is a great coach and they return several B-Teamers including James Zetterman, who was dedicated enough to come up to ACE by himself, certainly enjoys the game, and has sick knowledge of trash and Auguste Comte.

Metea Valley: They did not go to much last year, but they had multiple people at ACE, and Shreyas placed second in science behind Brandon Roach, so actually knowing science could easily lead to an upset over someone like Dylan Minarik or myself.

Latin: They had people who did well at ACE too, IIRC. I couldn't tell you more than that, but they could definitely be strong again.

Peoria Christian: Returns everyone (?) and will probably win Class A.

New Trier: Hey, when Ben Cohen graduated, everyone thought they would be done for until Steve Server came out of nowhere. And when Steve Server graduated, everyone thought they would be done for until Andrew Wang came out of nowhere. Clearly there is a hidden superstar waiting in the wings!
Morgan Venkus
Harpie's Feather Duster

MorganV wrote: Final Verdict: They will not place at IHSA because IHSA's skilled seeding abilities will undoubtedly place them in the same pool as Loyola and IMSA, two games Dylan will drop because of his lack of comp math skill, specifically his belief that interest is not compounded on a leap year.
i hate you so much right now

My ranking looks a lot like Morgan's except for I would switch us and Macomb: our games are traditionally close, but I feel like we can win most of them if I don't negstorm. Also, if my teammates are really studying as much as they claim to be, I might have more help than I have in the past.
If I were to rank out of the top five, I would probably go:

6. Stevenson- returns a pretty strong B team, I think they have the possibility of winning an upset or two again
7. WWS- Losing Ned hurts, but Anand is a good player and might get more points without as much other scoring.
8. Fenton- Greg is pretty underrated
9. Carbondale- They're young and have some good potential
10. Metea Valley - Shreyas knows science pretty well, but I'm not sure how good he/his team are at picking up other categories.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Morgan, I feel that I need to refute your comment that we have never had any good comp math people. Quite the contrary.

Most recently, Catherine Groden '09, who trumped our ace with a math bonus at Sectionals that allowed us to go to IHSA State that year.

Matt McKenna, '03? Math was his major subject, he was also the team captain that year.

Mark Haase '04, who had the uncanny ability to solve complex calculus problems but would have issues with simple operations.

Then, c. 1998, we had Adam Winchester, who unfortunately moved to California before he was able to graduate. The moderator would read a long and involved calculus question, whereupon he would get this glazed look on his face and solve the problem w/o pencil and paper.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

Haha excellent! I'm sorry, I should not have tried to overgeneralize given only the past couple years of us being bad at comp.
Morgan Venkus
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

My thoughts on Illinois this year are that there will be a drop off from last year but I still see it being a good year for Illinois teams. Ranking wise:

1) IMSA: Having read for them on multiple occasions and seeing what Noah can do with relatively newer students with a year or two, I am confident putting them at number one for now. Anton, Sabrina, Saieesh and Jacob (probably) will be very good next year as long as they don't do terribly in the afternoon rounds (which happened on a few occasions last year, though they were earlier in the year and they got better overtime.)

2) BN: Dylan is one of the better players in the country so I expect him to get even better and to have his teammates chip in (hopefully combining for more than 10 ppg).

3) Macomb: Tristan is also one of the better players in the country but I think Dylan benefits slightly more with his teammates than Tristan. Either way I expect some good matches if Macomb can come up to tournaments up north or BN go to tournaments down south or in Missouri.

4) Loyola: Morgan, you don't suck. On the contrary, I placed you guys at four right now but Loyola always finds a way to exceed expectations (which are already that you will do well), so I would be hardly surprised to see you being competitive for the best team in the state.

5) Auburn: They are good and I expect them to rebound. They were always a really friendly and competitive team and I expect them to stay that way this year with Evan, Alex, Mike, Kevin and which other players will come out of the blue to be very good.

6) Wheaton North: Oh hai i'm ranking my former school probably too high but Thomas Birt is a very very good history player and a couple of guys from JV will be moved up (Jack I think was one of the kids names) that were good last year. I think with studying they can stay competitive and as long as people aren't too involved with other activities which has plagued the Wheaton's for both years.

7) Wheaton South: Anand is very good and I expect them to stay competitive with WN and to evenly match up. Anand just needs some support which hopefully they can dig up.

8) Stevenson: Niranjan is really good and I expect a couple of the other guys (Chandru, etc.) to get better. Expect this team to get better overtime.

9) Carbondale: This is basically the B team from last year which was competitive (winning the Loyola Ultima Standard Division) and doing pretty well in other tournaments. James and co. are harder to peg right now but I expect we'll know after a couple of tournaments in which direction to move them.

10) Fenton: Greg and Rohan are a good combo and I expect them to do well. Getting more support will be difficult but Laudermith hasn't had that stop him yet.

Others:

Peoria Christian: Still haven't seen them play yet so I guarantee I am underranking them. They won Class A Lol-HSA and Masonic last year so they should be good.

Metea Valley: Shreyas is good but I feel they have a lot of non-science gaps that need filling. That being said, they can definitely surprise some teams.

Prepare to see these ranking completely fall apart one month into the season.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

MorganV wrote: the fact that we go to more tournaments than any other team in the country
More than Northmont? I heard their coach took Sam to upwards of 30 tournaments last year.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

merv1618 wrote:
MorganV wrote: the fact that we go to more tournaments than any other team in the country
More than Northmont? I heard their coach took Sam to upwards of 30 tournaments last year.
That would be pretty impressive. My claim is based off of Fred's rankings, where we're ahead of Northmont by around ~7 statlines (not including several tournaments that we went to unofficially), but if Northmont went to a lot of tournaments that are not on Fred's list it's possible that they indeed went to more than us.
Morgan Venkus
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

MorganV wrote:
merv1618 wrote:
That would be pretty impressive. My claim is based off of Fred's rankings, where we're ahead of Northmont by around ~7 statlines (not including several tournaments that we went to unofficially), but if Northmont went to a lot of tournaments that are not on Fred's list it's possible that they indeed went to more than us.
It was the word around the water cooler at the STL Open yesterday, so it could be just an estimate.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Northmont did multiple OAC tourneys, which don't have formats that return standard ppbs.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
blizzard
Lulu

Post by blizzard »

I am pretty sure that we went to 32 tournaments this past year, though I may be off by a couple.

EDIT: I think we were doing something 32 weekends, but not all were academic tournaments that everyone went to. Some were JV tournaments, a trash tournament, a couple TV takings, those kinds of things.
Sam
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

I'm afraid I must concede with a mere 27 =P
Morgan Venkus
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

blizzard wrote:I am pretty sure that we went to 32 tournaments this past year, though I may be off by a couple.

EDIT: I think we were doing something 32 weekends, but not all were academic tournaments that everyone went to. Some were JV tournaments, a trash tournament, a couple TV takings, those kinds of things.
:shock:
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

So I don't think I know all of the Illinois teams well enough to have the authority to rank them, but I can offer some insight on my own team.
Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote: 10. Metea Valley - Shreyas knows science pretty well, but I'm not sure how good he/his team are at picking up other categories.
Yeah, so our entire team is pretty good at science and comp math. We're also decent at fine arts and RMP.

We graduated our history/literature powerhouse, so that leaves a HUGE hole, but a couple of our kids are actually taking initiative and studying over the summer (myself included), so hopefully we can cover all the bases before the start of the season.

Also, a big problem our team has (and the reason why we don't go to more things) is people never have enough interest in tournaments for us to go...we never really have a full A-Team anywhere because of conflicts with speech, music stuff, etc. Hopefully that doesn't become a huge problem.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Metea Valley High School '13
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

I am superbly under-qualified to talk about anyone else in Illinois, so I guess I'll go ahead and talk about this:
MorganV wrote:Peoria Christian: Returns everyone (?) and will probably win Class A.
Our returning A-team members include myself and Jade, who picks up all the geography questions, some history, and random IHSA stuff. Our IHSA and Masonic success will hinge on whether someone will decide to put effort into doing comp math (since I am rubbish at math) and whether I can pull some science knowledge together since the people who did our comp math and the majority of our science decided to graduate. We have a guy (Nate) who's pretty good at earth sci and history if he doesn't neg himself out of the question, and a guy (Micah) who's decent at myth. I cover lit, FA including music, as well as chemistry and hopefully the rest of science. That's the end of our subject specialties, pretty much. (All of the aforementioned people [as well as my brother Ben who's playing on our JV team] have attended ACE Camp at some point, but we'll see how much that helps.)

I think we will be generally successful this year, seeing as we play bad quizbowl leagues and the teams around our area are generally weak, what with Peoria Heights graduating off two pretty decent players, Duncan and Jasmine. If anyone knows anything about the state of Class A this year, I'd appreciate your thoughts since the only thing I know is that David York is returning for Litchfield.

I am hoping to get us to more good tournaments (repeat appearance at Springfield Invite, maybe--that was definitely a step up!) and hopefully will make more headway with that due to our coaching change this year. I am going to try to talk my parents/coaches/teammates into going to tournaments independently-ish from the school if I can't get tournaments on our main schedule, but we'll see what happens.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

tintinnabulation wrote:I am hoping to get us to more good tournaments (repeat appearance at Springfield Invite, maybe--that was definitely a step up!) and hopefully will make more headway with that due to our coaching change this year. I am going to try to talk my parents/coaches/teammates into going to tournaments independently-ish from the school if I can't get tournaments on our main schedule, but we'll see what happens.
Given that you're in Peoria, there are ample opportunities to go to good tournaments in Springfield (60-90 minutes, depending on how bad construction is on 155), Bloomington (30-40, depending on how close you are to 74/474), and Champaign (another 40-50 past Bloomington). Rockford and Dekalb (~2.5 hours each way) are long drives, but good sites if you can swing them.

Point being, if you can swing the transportation, the opportunities will certainly be there.
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

dtaylor4 wrote:
tintinnabulation wrote:I am hoping to get us to more good tournaments (repeat appearance at Springfield Invite, maybe--that was definitely a step up!) and hopefully will make more headway with that due to our coaching change this year. I am going to try to talk my parents/coaches/teammates into going to tournaments independently-ish from the school if I can't get tournaments on our main schedule, but we'll see what happens.
Given that you're in Peoria, there are ample opportunities to go to good tournaments in Springfield (60-90 minutes, depending on how bad construction is on 155), Bloomington (30-40, depending on how close you are to 74/474), and Champaign (another 40-50 past Bloomington). Rockford and Dekalb (~2.5 hours each way) are long drives, but good sites if you can swing them.

Point being, if you can swing the transportation, the opportunities will certainly be there.
The transportation is certainly the problem, along with convincing people to come with me.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

tintinnabulation wrote:Given that you're in Peoria, there are ample opportunities to go to good tournaments in Springfield (60-90 minutes, depending on how bad construction is on 155), Bloomington (30-40, depending on how close you are to 74/474), and Champaign (another 40-50 past Bloomington). Rockford and Dekalb (~2.5 hours each way) are long drives, but good sites if you can swing them.

The transportation is certainly the problem, along with convincing people to come with me.[/quote]

If you travel short-handed, most TDs are willing to work with you regarding fees. Depending on the tournament, maybe see if you can catch a ride with another team?
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

MorganV wrote:
Wheaton-Warrenville South: They return Anand from last year's A Team, who managed to outscore Ned at at least one tournament last year.
I'm not especially able to judge/rank other teams, but WWS next year should be pretty good. Anand and I split the leading scorer title 3-3 for the real tournaments that we both went to, and my graduation means Tyler, last year's #3, will still cover a big current events gap. (He already dominates geo, and focuses more on international news, while I was better at domestic happenings.) Two other rising juniors, Kasey and Dan, went to ACE camp, which should be a help. If Anand/Tyler can rise to my generalism and aggressiveness, and Tyler suddenly starts to suck at speech and doesn't have to miss a bunch of tournaments, we should be able to upset more teams who are missing one of their top 2 players or start their B-teams.
Additionally, having attended a tournament incognito last year (and mostly had fun), Anand and co. may be more motivated to attend more tournaments regardless of Stankevitz's ability to go.
Hopefully they'll actually go to a national tournament.
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
Ukuleleism
Kimahri

Post by Ukuleleism »

Not to brag or anything, but Barrington should be pretty good, as 3 guys come in as Freshman, who were all on the Barrington Prairie team, that were the State Champions last year and 7th in the nation.

We three guys, me (Jacob West), Bryce Cai and Sawyer Smith, all bring different things to the table; Lit and Music, Math and Science, and History and Sports, respectively.
User was reminded to add a signature.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Ukuleleism wrote:Not to brag or anything, but Barrington should be pretty good, as 3 guys come in as Freshman, who were all on the Barrington Prairie team, that were the State Champions last year and 7th in the nation.

We three guys, me (Jacob West), Bryce Cai and Sawyer Smith, all bring different things to the table; Lit and Music, Math and Science, and History and Sports, respectively.
Not to say that this can't or won't happen, but saying you're going to be good because you were in middle school isn't necessarily true. The Barrington team last year featured the top scorer on the number 2 team in the middle school nation (here) and number 8 individual (here) in the nation, as per your metric. Yet, they finished last at this tournament and he was not the top scorer on that team. Much more importantly, my team went to more than 15 'good quizbowl' tournaments in Illinois the past year, and that was the only one we saw Barrington at! If you want to be taken seriously as a good team, you have to either get your team to go to more of these 'good quizbowl' tournaments or go by yoursel(f/ves). That is infinitely more important than your middle school prowess.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Ukuleleism wrote:Not to brag or anything, but Barrington should be pretty good, as 3 guys come in as Freshman, who were all on the Barrington Prairie team, that were the State Champions last year and 7th in the nation.

It's great that you guys have good talent coming in, I hope you capitalize on it. But you're going to be in a circuit with a lot of really experienced players, so don't expect to be doing as well as you did in Middle School right off the bat. Stick with it, go to tournaments, learn about quiz bowl, and keep studying, and I'm sure you guys will be great. But like Nolan said, if you don't come to many good tournaments, what's it worth?
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

From the perspective of a non-illinois person, I agree with what most people are saying here, except for Loyola. Granted, I haven't seen him play in a non-ace camp/ skypebowl setting without Nolan, but I think people (including himself) are underestimating Morgan. Morgan is a fantastic generalist, is able to lock down a subject (RMP) and is able to hold his own against (and often beat) Dylan and Tristen, and he gets support from solid players like Ian Torres, something that Dylan and Tristen don't. With that, I personally put Loyola at #2, and could potentially pull the #1 spot on mACF, as Morgan is terrible at Geography and other NAQT hilarity.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Back to Barrington. From a (former) coach's perspective, I second Nolan's and Ben's comments. Middle school to high school is not always an easy transition and you will be in a very competitive circuit re Saturday tournaments (I don't know about MSL this year). Obviously I don't know Coach Baker's schedule (e.g. does he have family responsibilities? How many MSL dates are there?) but encourage him to take you to as many good tournaments as he can, or see if another adult approved by the school can accompany you if he isn't available.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

4nay
Lulu

Post by 4nay »

Newbie here. I just wanted to pop on by to say that Plainfield North will be pursuing a more serious scholastic bowl season compared to previous years. I'm not expecting achievements of biblical proportions, but chances are that you might see PNHS sooner or later in the coming season. In our paltry seven (or eight? I dunno) years as a school, our scholastic bowl team has been plagued with a lack of interest in tournaments mainly due to conflicts with orchestra, speech team and the like (echoing Shreyas's sentiments here). In the past, we've mostly stayed within the Southwest Prairie Conference matches (~6 matches in the season, max, including conference), but we currently have a group of enthusiastic players with loads of potential who thankfully want to change that. I think our surprising performance at the SPC conference tourney last year gave some kids at PNHS an epiphany of sorts, explaining the newfound enthusiasm.

Hopefully we'll see some of you guys around!
Last edited by 4nay on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anay Katyal
Plainfield North High School '14
Michigan '18
Scholastic Bowl Coach & Teacher, Morgan Park Academy
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

This is great news, and welcome to the boards! Hopefully your coach is on board (no pun intended) as well, and if you go to www.ihssbca.org you will find a schedule of tournaments and other useful information. Check the boards frequently as well!
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

4nay
Lulu

Post by 4nay »

Will do! Thanks for the welcome.

Also - our coach is enthusiastic about the idea, so needless to say she's onboard.
Anay Katyal
Plainfield North High School '14
Michigan '18
Scholastic Bowl Coach & Teacher, Morgan Park Academy
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

I go away from the boards from the summer and look what happens....
The newest class of Barrington players have every reason, in their own minds, to feel great about their prospects as high school players. Indeed, many IESA State Champs have gone on to greatness as high school players (Tristan Willey; two-time champ with Macomb MS... Kevin Malis; part of a championship team with Daniel Wright JHS...). OTOH, how high has, say, Morton HS placed in IHSA in the past ten years with multiple pieces of hardware in their junior high case? What about UHigh in Normal, where nearly all Metcalf kids go? No, no, the Barrington frosh have a leg up over other freshmen, but that will rapidly evaporate if they're not constantly trying to improve their game by studying and attending tournaments. Moreover, Barrington quizbowl is cursed with a population that is involved with a number of other things that draw them away from being dedicated to quizbowl (AFAIK, one of the three names dropped is an expert golfer who won't be around much in the fall), to say nothing of the opportunities that having money brings. What would've arguably been Barrington's best returning player has left BHS to attend an exclusive boarding school on the east coast. And I haven't even begun to broach the topic of the golden calf among parents of Barrington's brightest; acceptance to IMSA. In the short time I helped BHS with quizbowl, that peeled off at least 4 players from our pool, and will do so again very soon, IMO.
But if there's one guy who has a chance to change things, it's Jacob. He alone approached me about taking the Prairie team to an NAQT tourney over spring break last year, when his own coach was unavailable. I was impressed with his initiative and had room on the bus with my Station kids. If he shows the same drive to be the best, he has the skill set to help make Barrington a force.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

NHBB tournaments in Illinois this year are as follows...

Central Illinois will again be at Centennial (Champaign), but the date has changed to February 9.
Illinois State is March 23 at Fenton.
Both of these have been added to the calendar that David Riley is keeping, as far as I'm aware.

Northern Illinois is still in the process of being finalized. I've been in communication with Elgin, although I do owe the contact person there a follow-up email/call.

The Wisconsin tournament will be at Beloit Memorial again, although the date has not yet been set; that's close enough for some Illinois teams to attend.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

NIU will be hosting a high schools-only mirror of ACF Fall on November 3rd. ACF is being very generous with this offer because they understand the predicament that last year's IHSA restriction against playing with college teams; I strongly encourage all varsity teams to take advantage of ACF's generosity.

After all, let's face it - if last year's trend continues and most housewrites end up being "accidentally" written at roughly novice-college level, we might as well start the year with a well written roughly novice-college level tournament! :grin:
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I'm not sure IMSA can make said tournament because Sabrina said something about how her family was planning a weekend trip, along with several of her friends, to Wisconsin. If her plans change, we may be in DeKalb. I'm curious as to which other schools will be unable to compete due to similar factors.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

in on these shenanigans wrote:NIU will be hosting a high schools-only mirror of ACF Fall on November 3rd.
Brad or anyone else: Will the fee structure of the high schools-only ACF Fall mirror be the same as all regular ACF events? Also, if I wouldn't be able to make that date, are there any other mirrors of ACF Fall relatively close-by? And finally, if I played solo at a mirror of ACF Fall with college teams, would that bypass the IHSA restriction on college events?
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

shrey96 wrote:Brad or anyone else: Will the fee structure of the high schools-only ACF Fall mirror be the same as all regular ACF events?
The tournament announcement makes it sound like the answer is yes.
shrey96 wrote:Also, if I wouldn't be able to make that date, are there any other mirrors of ACF Fall relatively close-by?
There's a Wisconsin site, but it's the same date.
shrey96 wrote:And finally, if I played solo at a mirror of ACF Fall with college teams, would that bypass the IHSA restriction on college events?
Yes, as long neither your school nor your coach has any involvement.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

jonah wrote:
shrey96 wrote:Brad or anyone else: Will the fee structure of the high schools-only ACF Fall mirror be the same as all regular ACF events?
The tournament announcement makes it sound like the answer is yes.
Confirm; same price schedule.
jonah wrote:
shrey96 wrote:And finally, if I played solo at a mirror of ACF Fall with college teams, would that bypass the IHSA restriction on college events?
Yes, as long neither your school nor your coach has any involvement.
I'm not so sure about this, though; that said, it doesn't matter because all other mirrors of ACF Fall are the same date.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

so, I'm late to the party, but who cares . . .

here is a list of groups of people in illinois i respect for quizbowl ability

1. Macomb. Tristan, you scare me a little bit.

2. Loyola. Morgan and Torres are pretty cool, and they're by far the best team that won't rely on one person for almost everything.

3. Belvidere North. Sorry, Dylan, but you neg like a troll . . . and I think Tristan is more consistent than you, and of course due to not being one guy, Loyola probably won't worry about that

4. IMSA. Anton is a really confusing guy, but I think he's pretty legit. Sorry Sabrina and co, but I haven't paid much attention to you other guys, which is probably a big mistake, but whatever. IMSA has crazy depth; that will always be a fact.

5. Auburn. You guys lost a lot, but I think that our teams are more or less in the same boat. I got to know Evan and Will pretty well, and they'll keep getting better.

6. Carbondale.
a joke about the use/mention distinction wrote:Carbondale's continuing success as program right now seems to be contingent on whether certain players' parents allow them to play the relatively intense schedule of Chicago-area tournaments that has made us nationally competitive. Assuming that all goes well, we have a solid four player squad of two juniors and two sophomores who should improve throughout the year. I'm confident that they'll be back in the top tier of teams by the end of the season, and barring that, next year.
To be honest, I think we can be as good at the end of this year as we were at the beginning of last year, if people actually try. We're having good practices, and we have more depth than ever before. This will be a building year, but we knew that a long time ago. We're not losing anyone next year, and that's when all of you should pay attention to us. This is probably biased as heck, but this year I think we definitely have the best frosh/soph squad in the state, especially seeing as last year the only thing stopping us from winning knight's challenge last year was Jeeho Lee having an absolutely monster day and us having a bad round.
While I'm showering us with praise, I'll point out a couple of misconceptions:
Edward Elric wrote: 9) Carbondale: This is basically the B team from last year which was competitive (winning the Loyola Ultima Standard Division) and doing pretty well in other tournaments. James and co. are harder to peg right now but I expect we'll know after a couple of tournaments in which direction to move them.
we lost to wauconda.
MorganV wrote:has sick knowledge of trash and Auguste Comte
haha no
I'm not sure what prompted this claim, but ask me about Comte and I'll mutter something like "altruism, positivism, and french . . . I think" and then I will excuse myself as soon as possible.

This is where I stop because realistically, I have no business ranking anyone . . .
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

thyringe_supine wrote:
Edward Elric wrote: 9) Carbondale: This is basically the B team from last year which was competitive (winning the Loyola Ultima Standard Division) and doing pretty well in other tournaments. James and co. are harder to peg right now but I expect we'll know after a couple of tournaments in which direction to move them.
we lost to wauconda.
No shame in that last year, IMO. Wauconda was laden with very good senior players and kind of a tough out.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

So I would not be surprised if Carbondale has the best frosh-soph in the state, seeing as Jame sis their highest scorer (I think) andd they almost beat our full varsity. (Typing on a Nook right now, sorry for the typos. Loyola... Oh god Venkus. I had to be in the same RMP prelim room with him at ACE... scary stuff. Fenton's two players came dangerously close to beating our squad of four. Dylan Minarik is going to be a monster as always. Tristan frightens me.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Welcome to the boards, Alston! Hang in there and don't let those guys scare you. IIRC, this is the first time Bloomington is making any noise since the Kristina Warren / Hunter Fast days. Keep it up! Hope to see you guys up here at some point this year.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Actually Prerak beat me by ~5 ppg at Earlybird. Granted, he had three times as many negs, but he can actually power things. However, some of his negs are of the stupid variety. He really does have more legit knowledge, he just doesn't use it aggressively enough.

Our current team beat Fenton at ultima last year, and Blake was present, so I think we can beat them. Who are these two guys?
James Zetterman

shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

According to the stats, the "two guys" are Greg and Rohan. Also, I echo the sentiment that Greg is an underrated player - he pulled 105 ppg at Earlybird. I look forward to playing those guys in the future.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

OH duh. I remember now. However, I think this might be a little more hype than is necessary. Sure, he had ten tossups a game, but he was playing teams that were usually . . . not competitive. He had 115 against Homewood B. I had 20 less than that versus them, and we've got a solid foundation. I mean really, 81 post-power toss-ups, with only 15 powers? I'm not saying he isn't good, but what I am saying is that he was winning a lot of buzzer races, waiting until later to buzz because he could. I wish there was a metric for tossups your teammates beat you to that you would've gotten without them, because for him it would be very low, and for some of the deeper teams, like Dunbar and us, it would be probably at least 20 points. Their ppb was at 17. That's a little underwhelming.
James Zetterman

Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

thyringe_supine wrote:OH duh. I remember now. However, I think this might be a little more hype than is necessary. Sure, he had ten tossups a game, but he was playing teams that were usually . . . not competitive. He had 115 against Homewood B. I had 20 less than that versus them, and we've got a solid foundation. I mean really, 81 post-power toss-ups, with only 15 powers? I'm not saying he isn't good, but what I am saying is that he was winning a lot of buzzer races, waiting until later to buzz because he could. I wish there was a metric for tossups your teammates beat you to that you would've gotten without them, because for him it would be very low, and for some of the deeper teams, like Dunbar and us, it would be probably at least 20 points. Their ppb was at 17. That's a little underwhelming.
What was the whole point of posting this? No one was arguing they were the best team in the state. We were saying a team of 2 players is probably near the top ten. Stop insinuating they aren't good because you got more tossups against so and so 's B team or that a team ranked in the top 20 of the nation is better than them.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Don't tell people what to post.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I realize this is early on, but if your team doesn't move on to Masonic States, the University of Kentucky is hosting a high school tournament with HSAPQ Tournament 32 on that date (March 2nd). You can find more info here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator