Kenneth's Charity AP Quizbowl Tournament - May 19, 2012, ASU

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Kenneth's Charity AP Quizbowl Tournament - May 19, 2012, ASU

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Update: This tournament has been moved to May 19 due to teams dropping from 5/5 while not ruling out 5/19

I am pleased to bring you Arizona's first-ever Unofficial NAQT Tournament and first-ever "HSNCT prep" high school tournament using a D2-SCT set, to be held on May 19 at ASU. I am personally directing this final event of the year, a charity tournament (no fundraising purpose) to help my home state's HSNCT representatives prepare for their big stage and to celebrate the end of my playing career at Arizona State University. Although my successors at ASU Quizbowl have not routinely posted high school tournament announcements due to the infrequent use of hsquizbowl.org among Arizona high schools, so far NAQT still technically requires forum announcements (and I'm sure one day Arizona will have more use for the forums than currently). So following my standard practice as tournament director, I am cross-posting this announcement to the hsquizbowl.org forums just in case. Many thanks to my teammates at ASU Quizbowl for lending me their room reservation ability (well, as soon as they re-register their club, anyways) and helping to run this non-club-sponsored, non-fundraising event on a low-budget, just-for-fun basis.

Our tournament has been named in recognition of the unfortunate timing of this event just before the AP testing period (no better time could be found) and the fantasies of more than one quizbowler over the years. Each team's AP Quizbowl exam score will be their bonus conversion divided by 5, with a score of 3 being passing just like for real AP tests. :)

----Full announcement below----

Date: May 5, 2012

Location: Arizona State University, Tempe campus, Physical Sciences, A-wing
Maps of the ASU campus can be found here: http://www.asu.edu/map/interactive/ (click on "Tempe" to access the correct campus map)

Schedule (tentative): The tournament will have a maximum of 10 rounds in order to hopefully finish by 5pm. Ties will be broken by PPTH or PPB unless there is time to play.
8:00am - Registration (in PSA 103)
8:30am - Morning rounds (1-5) (estimated 48 min/round)
12:30pm - Lunch will be after Round 5; pizza will be provided - included in the registration fee
1:00pm - Afternoon rounds (6-10)
5:00pm - Awards (individual only; no team trophies, to save money)
5:30pm - Optional finals if teams want to continue playing

Tournament format: Simple round robin followed by rebracketing into "crossover" playoff matches against simulated HSNCT opponents role-played by ASU quizbowlers. Rounds will be timed to 18 minutes per half in an attempt to use all 24 tossups in the packet. Standard NAQT HSNCT rules (3 seconds to buzz after a tossup, 2 seconds to answer after buzzing, 5 seconds to answer after bonus parts, no computational math). Questions used will be the NAQT Division 2 Sectionals packet set from 2010 (assuming no teams have heard it) or 2012 if needed, which are a little bit easier than HSNCT and noticeably harder than NAQT State Championships (IS-level).

Parking: Our expected field consists of teams who already know the drill, having been to ASU for past tournaments. If you have not played in tournaments at ASU before and want to attend this one, e-mail me for information.

Lunch options: "Free" pizza (paid for with registration fee) will be provided. Teams with dietary needs unable to be accommodated by the Domino's Pizza menu may make their own arrangements and/or contact me.

Eligibility: In general, anyone can play, though players of too high a skill level to serve the tournament's purpose of preparing Arizona teams for HSNCT may be required to moderate instead at the tournament director's discretion. (If coaches want to play, I will try to work them into the schedule.) However, this tournament does technically qualify the winner to HSNCT, and only standard high school teams meeting NAQT eligibility rules are eligible for that. I reserve the right to split/re-balance any teams with coaches or college students playing on them in order to more realistically simulate a HSNCT-quality opposition for the high school teams, since that is the tournament's primary purpose.

Registration fee: The registration fee will be $10 per player ($40 for a full team of 4). Slightly more than half of this fee ($35 flat fee + $20/team)is paid to NAQT for the questions. The remainder pays for the pizza for lunch. Trophies will not be provided to save money, though individual book prizes will be. Any remaining money will subsidize students paying out of pocket, and leftovers (if any) will be donated to the ASU Quizbowl Team. Please make checks payable to me, Kenneth Lan.

To register: E-mail [email protected] with the following information:
1) Number of students and staffers coming from your school
2) Coach name, contact information, and whether you are coming with them.
3) Number of teams your students are entering as, and contact information for someone on each team if you the coach are not coming
4) Number of buzzer systems you can bring
5) Any special dietary needs of anyone on your team (who needs what?)

If your team has any working buzzer systems, please bring them. Otherwise, we will be playing "slap bowl".

Feel free to e-mail me (Kenneth) with any questions.
Last edited by Sun Devil Student on Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Re: Kenneth's Charity AP Quizbowl Tournament - May 5, 2012 @ ASU

Field Update: The following teams verbally indicated their availability to me on 4/14/12 at the recent Arizona NAQT State Championship, and/or expressed interest by e-mail. We're waiting for confirmation.

Scottsdale Prep Academy - [dropped]
Tri-City Prep Academy - [dropped 5/5, may be available 5/19 but never did sign up]
BASIS Scottsdale - [couldn't attend 5/5, unsure about 5/19, didn't sign up]
Verrado - [couldn't attend 5/5, unsure about 5/19, didn't sign up]
Desert Vista - not officially attending, but has let us know that their students might number up to 11 free agents at our event
Brophy is supposedly not attending, though we've been told to expect a free-agent team of high school kids who, by pure coincidence, all happen to attend Brophy. :wink:
Total: 3-4 teams
Last edited by Sun Devil Student on Fri May 18, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

So... are you saying that no team will get >25 ppb? :smile:
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Christ, I Know wrote:So... are you saying that no team will get >25 ppb? :smile:
Well, just like most AP tests, you don't have to get a 100% raw score to get a 5 on the test. And truth be told, Arizona does not have any >25ppb teams at this level just yet... hopefully we will in another few years. :party:
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

So... are you saying that no team will get >25 ppb?
i think that only a handful of teams across the country can over 25 ppb on a d2 sct set. my team cant even get it on an a set (like 1.5 ppb away)
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The actual maximum bonus conversion for DII SCT teams was 24.38. (stats)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Re: Kenneth's Charity AP Quizbowl Tournament - May 19, 2012, ASU

Update: My officers at ASU Quizbowl seem to have misplaced the club's copy of the 2012 D2 SCT... so unless someone from NAQT sees this post in time to send me another copy of the 2012 set, we're going to have to run this on either unused packets from 2011 or 2010 SCTs or Yale's BHSAT set.

EDIT: Bullet dodged, we got what we needed. Thanks R.!
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Re: Kenneth's Charity AP Quizbowl Tournament - May 19, 2012, ASU

Tournament results:

1. PB&J (6-1)
2. Best Known Method (5-2)
3. The Underdogs (4-3)
4. Black Dynamite (1-6)

Full stats will be posted to NAQT's website.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)