Half Hollow Hills West Invitational (Dix Hills, NY 1/7/2012)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Half Hollow Hills West Invitational (Dix Hills, NY 1/7/2012)

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Edward Powers wrote:If my bracket is correct, and I think it is, the final 16 were as follows:

1. Saint Joe's A; 2. GDS B; tie for 3rd & 4th were Great Neck South A & White Plains A; tied for 5th & 6th were Bergen Academies A & Ardsley A; tied for 7th & 8th were GDS A and State College A; then the following 8 were tied for 9th: Tribeca A (aka Stuyvesant A); Seton Hall Prep A; Irvington A; Horace Greeley A; Scarsdale; Mountain Lakes; Ranney; Kellenberg A.

EDIT: It seems that Ryan has Livingston A defeating Seton Hall Prep A to make into the final 16 and thus qualifying; my bracket has Seton Hall A defeating Livingston A...so this one is currently uncertain.
I wasn't sure about Livingston--I just seem to remember them being in the top 16 seeds. Your version is most likely right.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

-snip- Whoops, misread.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

Dripping Springs State Park wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:If my bracket is correct, and I think it is, the final 16 were as follows:

1. Saint Joe's A; 2. GDS B; tie for 3rd & 4th were Great Neck South A & White Plains A; tied for 5th & 6th were Bergen Academies A & Ardsley A; tied for 7th & 8th were GDS A and State College A; then the following 8 were tied for 9th: Tribeca A (aka Stuyvesant A); Seton Hall Prep A; Irvington A; Horace Greeley A; Scarsdale; Mountain Lakes; Ranney; Kellenberg A.

EDIT: It seems that Ryan has Livingston A defeating Seton Hall Prep A to make into the final 16 and thus qualifying; my bracket has Seton Hall A defeating Livingston A...so this one is currently uncertain.
I wasn't sure about Livingston--I just seem to remember them being in the top 16 seeds. Your version is most likely right.
Seton Hall A defeated Livingston. I played for Georgetown Day School A and we played Seton Hall A in the round of 16.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I saw Seton Hall walking into a second round playoff game, so I can attest that they defeated Livingston in their first-round playoff game.
Edit to add: Oh I see this was already resolved on the following page.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Any news on when stats will be posted? It has been more than a week now.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

Edward Powers wrote:Any news on when stats will be posted? It has been more than a week now.
If it at all like last year, or if what I heard from a student whom I spoke to at the tournament, it may take up to 5 weeks.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

I would like to apologize for the fact that the statistics have not yet been released. Unfortunately, I am the last tie to the Blayne era on the Hills West quiz bowl team, and therefore the only person on the team who knows the importance of posting stats on a timely basis. As you may be aware, this aspect of the tournament was delegated to other, more computer-savvy members of my team, and to date, they have not provided me with what I requested. Once again, please forgive me. As soon as I get any statistics I will post them immediately.
George Margulies
Half Hollow Hills High School West 2012
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Well I guess if it's gonna be a while, I might as well post the top-level data that I wrote down at the tournament. There were 17 groups of six teams that played a round-robin, and all but one of them went 5-4-3-2-1-0 (the other went IIRC 5-4-2-2-2-0). Advancement to and seeding in the 32 team playoff was based on wins, then total points.

These teams were all 5-0 (total points shown):
1-5: Ardsley 2955, St. Joseph-A 2730, White Plains 2670, Georgetown-B 2630, State College 2585
6-10: Bergen-A 2575, Georgetown-A 2510, Ranney 2470, Great Neck South 2355, Livingston-A 2330
11-17: Irvington 2285, Mountain Lakes 2160, Scarsdale 2105, Horace Greeley 2040, Valley Stream South 2040, Kellenberg 2010, Ridgewood 1270

These teams were all 4-1:
18-22: Tribeca-A 2135, Tribeca-B 1850, St. Joseph-B 1810, Plainview? 1790, N Babylon 1785
23-27: Seton Hall 1735, Roslyn 1630, Hills East 1575, Bergen-B 1515, Livingston-B 1500
28-32: Hunter-"C" 1495, Kings Park-"B" 1420, North Shore 1400, Phillipsburg 1400, Tribeca-C 1400
33-34 (missed playoffs): Ward Melville 1265, Farmingdale 1225

Some observations:
No, that's not a typo, Ridgewood won their group at 1270 total points. That group was fairly weak, but I don't have the full schedule, so I don't know who the runner-up from that group was.
From the schedule, I could tell who the apparent "1" seeds in each group were. All won except for Seton Hall (beaten by Georgetown-B because they split strength) and Tribeca-A. Tribeca-A, the leading 2nd place team, lost to Mountain Lakes in a group that also contained Great Neck North, the leading 3rd place team.
Ward Melville was in the group headed by Ranney; I'm not sure whose group had Farmingdale.
18-Tribeca over 15-Valley Stream and 23-Seton Hall over 10-Livingston were the only upsets by seed in the first playoff round.
9-Great Neck South over 8-Ranney was the only "upset" in the second playoff round.
I'm not certain that I have the name of Plainview correct. I jotted down P/OB and think it's Plainview/Old Bridge, but might be wrong.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

POB is Plainview Old Bethpage
George Margulies
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

To fill in the couple of holes where Jon was uncertain:

Ridgewood A's division was Ridgwood A, Kings Park C, Wheatley B, GNS D, North Shore A, Hunter D

Farmingdale was in the division with Scarsdale

I found my copy of the prelim schedule, so if anyone has any more questions, I can answer them.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Kings Park A was (IIRC) the second-highest scoring 3-2 team, losing to North Babylon A and Valley Stream South A. Kings Park C was also 3-2.
Ranney's bracket had Valley Stream South E, Irvington C, Ridgewood C, White Plains C and Ward Melville A.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Building on Jon's "Sweet 16" above, the rest of the playoffs went as follows:

#1 Ardsley A defeated # 16 Kellenberg A #2 Saint Joe's A defeated # 18 Tribeca A ( aka Stuyvesant A)
#9 Great Neck South A defeated # 8 Ranney #7 GDS A defeated # 23 Seton Hall Prep A
#5 State College A defeated #12 Mountain Lakes #6 Bergen Academies A defeated # 11Irvington A
#4 GDS B defeated # 13 Scarsdale #3 White Plains A defeated # 13 Horace Greeley A

These results led to the final 8 teams breaking into two brackets of 4 teams, as follows, who then played a 3 match round robin against each other:

The first bracket had #1 Ardsley, #4 GDS B, # 5 State College, and # 9 Great Neck South. In Round One, Great Neck South upset Ardsley, while GDS B defeated State College. In Round Two, GDS B defeated Great Neck South, while Ardsley defeated State College, and in Round Three, GDS B defeated Ardsley, while Great Neck South defeated State College. So, GDS B went 3-0, GNS, 2-1, Ardsley 1-2, and State College 0-3.

In the 2nd Round Robin Bracket, in Round One St. Joe's A defeated GDS A, while White Plains nipped Bergen Academies; in Round Two, St. Joe's defeated Bergen, while White Plains defeated GDS A; in the Third Round, Bergen defeated GDS A, and St. Joe's defeated White Plains. So, SJA went 3-0; WP A went 2-1; BCA 1-2 and GDS A 0-3.

This left SJA and GDS B to play a winner take all cross bracket match for the Championship, which SJ A won. So, final records of the Top 8 overall were: SJA 11-0; GDS B 10-1; White Plains & Great Neck South 9-1; Bergen and Ardsley, 8-2, and GDS A and State College A, 7-3.

And I guess the 8 teams that tied for 9th place after being eliminated in the Octofinals all went either 6-1 or 5-2 for the day.

And that 's all I know about the final 16.

EDIT: I inadvertantly stated that #3 White Plains A defeated #13 Horace Greeley A in the Octofinals, when in fact Greeley was #14, not # 13. Sorry.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Edward Powers wrote: # 13 Horace Greeley A
It is not a terribly important correction, but, judging from the data provided above, Horace Greeley was the #14 seed (Scarsdale was #13
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

Hi:

We had a meeting today and I was promised that I could get the standings today. Unfortunately, I was misinformed, and the standings are only for the first five rounds. Anyway, here are the first five rounds:

http://mmaroney.net/hsw/brainstormers/Q ... esults.htm
George Margulies
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

thebigbossandy wrote:Hi:

We had a meeting today and I was promised that I could get the standings today. Unfortunately, I was misinformed, and the standings are only for the first five rounds. Anyway, here are the first five rounds:

http://mmaroney.net/hsw/brainstormers/Q ... esults.htm
Though it is good to have something, is there any sort of a timeline now as to when full stats will be made available?
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

Rumors are saying that our "stats guy" can get it done by Monday afternoon, but I wouldn't count on it.
George Margulies
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Where, when they are completed, will the stats be shown?
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Francis the Talking France
Wakka

Post by Francis the Talking France »

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:Where, when they are completed, will the stats be shown?
On the NAQT website, and they may also link it on here.
Matt Duchan
Chapel Hill High School '12
University of Denver '16
Director of the 2013 Colorado State History Bowl
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

On the NAQT website, and they may also link it on here.
Yes, I am aware that it will be on the NAQT website but i was hoping for an alternate page that may have all the stats up earlier. For example, LIFT XI stats this year were up on the database within a couple of days but not on the NAQT website for about a week. Unfortunately HHH is not on the database.
Alec Vulfson
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

George has been pretty good with keeping us up to date with the unfortunately slow progress of his teammates, I am sure as soon as something is posted somewhere, he will tell us.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

There is a board rule limiting stats requests to once per week per thread. It is intended to prevent the sort of unhelpful back-and-forth this thread has become. Please start following this rule.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

There is a board rule limiting stats requests to once per week per thread
I apologize. I was not aware of this rule. It will not happen again.
Alec Vulfson
thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

I want to apologize on behalf of my teammates. As I had mentioned earlier, I was not involved in the compiling of stats. Unfortunately, they did not get done by Monday as I had been promised, and this week is midterms, so there isn't much hope of them being done this week. Once the stats are completed, our AP Comp Sci teacher will upload them to his personal website and I will post the link on the blogs as well as send them to NAQT. However, I wouldn't get my hopes up that they'll be done until next week. Once again, I want to apologize on behalf of my teammates.
George Margulies
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Well, its been another week, so....any news on the stats?
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Sam, I would like the stats posted as much as you or the vast majority of attendees at this tournament would like them posted. Now, it's useful to ask "Is it right that a tournament that charges more than any other in the region is so much worse at such a vital part of game-day and post-game organization?" but it's not useful to say "WHERE STATS WHERE?" every eight days. For one, you're more likely to get a response if you directly email someone at HHH. For another, when you bump a thread for this reason, it gives me a ten-second period of "Cool, the stats were posted." before I get to "Oh wait, no, it's just someone asking for the stats AGAIN." I'm fairly confident when I say I doubt that George or the rest of that team has plum forgot that they ran a tournament last month which has not yet posted any useful display of its results. They don't need to be reminded of it in public, frequently. Even if you're one for "shame the bums into doing their job", it isn't George who has shirked his responsibility to enter data.

The rule Matt posted about previously, Section II, Paragraph 8, says in its entirety:
No thread may contain more than one request for the posting of tournament statistics within the same week or from the same person. Similar restraint is expected in requesting that packets be posted or making demands of people who are providing free services to the quizbowl community.
Please don't make us start dealing out punitive consequences for violations of the above.
Jon Pinyan

thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

Hi:

I was FINALLY given a raw SQBS file for our stats. As in prior years, our "stats guy" was going to have our school's AP Comp Sci teacher upload the stats to his personal website so everyone can see. Since I have not received this, I attempted to upload it to the hsquizbowl.org database myself. I am not 100% sure that it uploaded properly, as I am not the most computer-savvy person, so if it did not, please let me know. In the meantime, I will still attempt to get the link from the AP Comp Sci teacher to make available to everyone as we have done in prior years.

Here is the link to the database page: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/85 ... all_games/

Once again, I would like to apologize for the delay.
George Margulies
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Looks good to me. Thank you for all the work you put into this tournament.

edit: The GNS A-State College A playoff game does not appear to be entered into the stats.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Jake
Lulu

Post by Jake »

Thank you for putting up those stats, but could you please upload them to the naqt site. My friend Roey set both individual and tourtament PPG records, and it would be great if NAQT got those stats so these records could be uploaded on the NAQT records page. (Records include 185 points in a single game and 140 PPG in the preliminaries.)

User was again reminded to add a signature.
Jake
Haverford College '17
thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

Hi:

I gave the file to my coach, Mr. Diver, and he said that he sent it to NAQT.
George Margulies
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Jake wrote:could you please upload them to the naqt site.
Expect this to happen early next week.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Just as a quick note, it might be a good idea for people to look over the names of the players before they are uploaded to naqt.com, seeing as I have noticed quite a few mistakes out of just the people whom I know. If it helps, these are the mistakes I know of:
(in the form {listed name} => {real name})
Adam Jeffe => Adam Jaffe, Alec Volfson => Alec Vulfson, Jens Sannerd => Jens Sannerud, Nillon Yeh => Dillon Yeh

EDIT: Also, in one match our B team was given none of their bonus points. Irvington B is listed as losing to Bloomfield A 100-105, and they have 0 PPB. I do not know what their PPB was, but I know they won that game and it was > 0
Last edited by Scaled Flowerpiercer on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

If it helps, these are the mistakes I know of:
(in the form {listed name} => {real name})
Adam Jeffe => Adam Jaffe, Alec Volfson => Alec Vulfson, Jens Sannerd => Jens Sannerud, Nillon Yeh => Dillon Yeh
In addition, Mertin Gross-Lecyzycki=>Martin Gross-Lecyzycki (I'm not sure about the last name, but ryan implied it was correct) Aneesh Bhahacharya=> Aneesh Bhattacharya (again not 100% sure on the last name). The entire horace Greeley team is missing the last names, they only have the first initial. Max S.=> Max Smiley, Kamil S.=> Kamil Sadik, Kate R.=> Kate Rosenberg, Jon R.=> Jon Richman. The Kellenberg team is also missing last names but I dont know all of them
Alec Vulfson
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

Post by huatzer shiangtsay »

SrgtDonow wrote:Just as a quick note, it might be a good idea for people to look over the names of the players before they are uploaded to naqt.com, seeing as I have noticed quite a few mistakes out of just the people whom I know.
Izzy Heeebkoff ==> Izzy Hechkoff
Richard Tip ==> Richard Yip
Eric Yinu ==> Eric Xiao

Thanks.
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

“O不OK?” (Is it alright?) is one of the most awesome sentences ever. It takes the Chinese word OK and puts it in the A-not-A question format, unabashedly treating the letter O as a verb, and the letter K as a resultative complement.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

These changes are most easily made by emailing (a) George, (b) someone at NAQT, or (c) both. The former will perhaps correct the data posted on HSQB/db, the latter will merge the files in NAQT's database.
Jon Pinyan

thebigbossandy
Lulu

Post by thebigbossandy »

I have updated the name corrections. I have spoken to Arthur who was the moderator and scorekeeper for the missing GNS A - State College A game and he is looking into it. As for the other missing games I have spoken to our "stats guy" who is looking into them.

Here is the link to the semi-corrected stats:

http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/85 ... _2_8_2012/
George Margulies
Brainstormers '08-'12
Captain '10-'12