Third Annual Rube Invitational

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mishra1111
Lulu

Third Annual Rube Invitational

Post by mishra1111 »

Howdy!

The Third Annual Rube Invitational will be held at Michigan State University on January 22, 2005. Unlike in years past, we are buying questions from NAQT, and as such, the tournament is varsity only (JV teams and players, naturally, are welcome for B teams).

We will be using NAQT's IS-50 packet, and have the rights to these questions in Michigan and Ohio. Note: The invitations that have already been sent indicate the use of IS-46. NAQT changed that on us, so double-check your schedules to make sure you won't hear the questions elsewhere.

There will be 7 preliminary rounds and a playoff of either 16 or 32 teams, depending on turnout. We anticipate 50-60 teams (our goal is 64, 'cause it's such a nice number). Particularly urged to attend are Ohio teams and any other out-of-state teams that can hear these questions (So far, there are teams committed from Ohio and Indiana, and interested teams from Kentucky and Illinois).

Fees:

1st team- $65
2nd team- $50
Each additional team- $35
Late registration (after December 17)- $10
Questions (15 rounds of NAQT)- $30

Discounts:

Buzzers- $10 each (max $20)
Early registration- $10 (before October 15)
Experienced moderator- $15
Long drive (over 150 miles)- $25

Anyone who would like more information or would like to receive an invitation may email me at [email protected].

Many thanks,
Gary Sharon
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Will there be a cornucopia of free breakafast foods like last year?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
mishra1111
Lulu

Post by mishra1111 »

Of course. :)
mishra1111
Lulu

Post by mishra1111 »

This is just a reminder that registrations for the Rube need to be postmarked by January 14. We currently have 41 teams with at least 6 others verbally committed. If you want to come, email me at [email protected]. More information will be available at http://www.lizardsofthecoast.com in a few minutes.

Gary
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Just wondering if you were planning on posting the matchups for Saturday's tournament before Saturday...

Have a good week; I look forward to the tournament!

- Andy K.
Farmington High

(edit)... Thank you, Noah!
Last edited by alkrav112 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

He told me they should be up by tomorrow.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

I just checked his website and the matchups are up for anyone who wants to look at them. See you all saturday!!
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
mishra1111
Lulu

Post by mishra1111 »

I had a team drop and added a team, but things should be final now. Visit http://www.lizardsofthecoast.com for everything.

Gary
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

So I hear there's a winter storm warning from about midnight to 6 pm... will this affect the status of the tournament, and if so, how can I find out about this change?

Thanks ever so much,

Andy K.
Farmington High
mishra1111
Lulu

Post by mishra1111 »

I realize there's little point in posting this now, but snow means nothing. The tournament will go as planned.

Gary
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

My team, Farmington, has just had to cancel our plans to attend the tournament due, obviously, to horrible weather. Hope all goes well @ the tourney.

- Andy Kravis
Farmington High

(edit: to Mr. Greenstein): Yes, we did contact the tournament director - luckily, the snow did not dilute my better judgment. Thank you for your concern!
Last edited by alkrav112 on Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

alkrav112 wrote:My team, Farmington, has just had to cancel our plans to attend the tournament due, obviously, to horrible weather. Hope all goes well @ the tourney.

- Andy Kravis
Farmington High
Just saying because this situation could impact potentially any team and any tournament, but I hope you actually contacted the tournament director if possible to let them know you had to cancel.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

48 teams registered. Thanks to Old Man Winter, 14 ended up showing.

After six-round preliminaries, Kent City and Solon were undefeated.

Solon defeated Culver in the finals.

My Brickbat of the Month Award goes to the Okemos school superintendent, who forced the team (who had just arrived at the tournament) to turn around and go back home because they had cancelled all events due to weather, apparently figuring it would be safer to drive back home than to have them stay where they were.
Noah Rahman
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

solonqb wrote:My Brickbat of the Month Award goes to the Okemos school superintendent, who forced the team (who had just arrived at the tournament) to turn around and go back home because they had cancelled all events due to weather, apparently figuring it would be safer to drive back home than to have them stay where they were.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Noah, congrats on your win.
Out of curiosity, what was the score of the finals?
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Something like 385-70.
Noah Rahman