Delaware Spring Tournament @ Wilmington Charter (2/11/2012)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Re: Delaware Spring Tournament @ Wilmington Charter (2/11/2012)

Post by jonathanmarx »

Since the forecast shows a bit of snow for tonight and tomorrow morning, our coach was wondering how you'd be notifying teams if the school is declared closed for activities in the morning.

We have to leave awfully early, and it'd be a shame if we weren't aware of the tournament's cancellation.

Thanks so much.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Forcasts are for only about an inch of snow and the majority of that should be in the evening. As of this afternoon, our school has assured us that barring some sort of freak snowstorm the building will be open for us. If something like this happens we will post on this forum and send out emails to all coaches but if there is no post by about 6 in the morning, please assume that the tournament is running.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Ravi wrote:Forcasts are for only about an inch of snow and the majority of that should be in the evening. As of this afternoon, our school has assured us that barring some sort of freak snowstorm the building will be open for us. If something like this happens we will post on this forum and send out emails to all coaches but if there is no post by about 6 in the morning, please assume that the tournament is running.
Note that I would highly recommend having someone make the cancellation announcement who has enough posts under their belt that they are not subject to mod-approval. I say that having directed a tournament which had a major fiasco in the morning because a student new to the boards posted "We're cancelling!" at 11pm Friday night, and it didn't show up until noon the next day.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Really, just as was NOT done by TJ earlier this year, tournament directors need to obtain phone numbers from every coach and call them if a tournament is cancelled. Note that i think this is really not going to happen tomorrow as the chance of any snow is miniscule, and the snow we may get will turn into rain. Still, it is the courteous and altogether much more reasonable thing to do in case of such events.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Ah yes. We forgot to tell you that it always precipitates on Saturday around here.

Ravi can call me as necessary, and I'll post.

The best information we have at the moment is that less than an inch is predicted, probably similar to what we had earlier this week. Thankfully the reports seem to be similar for points north of here, unlike a few past tournaments where everyone north of us couldn't make it and all we were having was rain.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

According to their homepage, Charter has already cancelled their dance for tomorrow.

"The February 11 dance has been postponed due to the forecast of ice and snow on Saturday."

I will be checking this board tonight and watching the weather/forecast. I am hoping that all will be well, but I will need to see how thing look up in our area (west of NYC) tomorrow morning.

Goodluck, all!
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Ah yes. We forgot to tell you that it always precipitates on Saturday around here.

Ravi can call me as necessary, and I'll post.

The best information we have at the moment is that less than an inch is predicted, probably similar to what we had earlier this week. Thankfully the reports seem to be similar for points north of here, unlike a few past tournaments where everyone north of us couldn't make it and all we were having was rain.
Yes, I will do this if the tournament is in fact cancelled.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Auron

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:Are the fields above final? I count 21 and 17... how are we going to bracket those?
Has this been resolved? Or updated?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:Has this been resolved? Or updated?
C'mon now. If there's anything I've learned over the years, it's to make a draft of the schedule and then set it aside until the morning of the event because someone will have less or more teams than is expected. This is doubly true when light snow is falling.

Speaking of which, I just had a look -- the grass has a light cover of snow, but it is not currently laying on the roads. I imagine most teams will be able to make it. The report is still for less than an inch to accumulate -- causing "slushy" conditions.
Bill Tressler,
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Remember...
Ed Powers from Princeton three years ago wrote:Coach Tressler is wise
Tressler's got this.
Joe
Delaware
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Varsity (20 teams)
1. Saint Joseph A
2. Richard Montgomery A
3. State College A
4. Robinson
5. Manheim Township or GDS
7. Richard Montgomery B
8. Caesar Rodney A

JV (16 teams)
1. State College B
2. Richard Montgomery C
3. Longfellow A
4. Georgetown Day B
5. Saint Joseph C
6. Henderson
7. Richard Montgomery D
8. Phoenixville

I am missing a result for the 5th place varsity game -- can anyone fill in the blank?

The stats files seem in reasonably good order. I will go over them tomorrow and get them posted.
Bill Tressler,
Auron

This tournament was fun. The ending was a little haphazard as teams were in random rooms for the final placement games, that many teams didn't know was happening at all. A little miscommunication there, or lack of communication i guess. Otherwise the day went fine, other than the long lunch/pizza delay, which ended up not being a big deal.

I still wish this tournament offered more games. NAQT sets go faster than anything else we hear all year long but we never play more than 8 or 9 games here. Hopefully at UD next month we can try to fit in two full round-robins in the day for 10 games or so.

Oh, also, this set was pretty decent, for NAQT i guess. I have all the packets so i'm going to read through them again then perhaps e-mail a few comments to Jeff. I didn't see any glaring issues, but we'll see if i run into something. NAQT has, generally, been increasing the quality of their sets in the last couple years. So, it was decent. I hope the other IS sets we hear in March will be too.

See most of you all then. Remember, also, CR is having our tournament on April 21st. Expect e-mails and physical letters in the near future.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
gizmo
Kimahri

Post by gizmo »

I know that GDS A came in 5th place, if that helps.

Otherwise, good tournament!
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

With apologies, I have discovered that I was not given a copy of the JV stats before the laptop keeping them went home. Hopefully that can be corrected sometime this week.

In the meantime, here's some varsity standings.
Bill Tressler,
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Coach Tressler,

Thanks for posting the Varsity stats so quickly. However, in case you wish to correct it, I think there is an error in our match against Richard Montgomery A-----you have us with 8 powers and 6 tens and only 160 Bonus points. Our stat sheet has us with 6 powers, 5 tens and 200 Bonus points on 11 bonus opportunities.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Auron

I'm thinking Mannheim didn't really have 13 negs against RM A.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

The final placement game for GDS and Mannheim Township doesn't seem to have been included in the stats. Is that just an oversight (the stats just didn't make it into the computer) or was the stat sheet misplaced?
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Georgetown Day School 2012
Brown University 2016
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

SunWukong wrote:The final placement game for GDS and Mannheim Township doesn't seem to have been included in the stats. Is that just an oversight (the stats just didn't make it into the computer) or was the stat sheet misplaced?
Bad Boy Bill wrote: I am missing a result for the 5th place varsity game -- can anyone fill in the blank?

The stats files seem in reasonably good order. I will go over them tomorrow and get them posted.
Possibly from this
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:I'm thinking Mannheim didn't really have 13 negs against RM A.
You are correct that the stats must have been entered incorrectly. Manheim Township had 3 minus 5's, not 13. This might have been our first attempt at NAQT in many years, we aren't that bad!
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

dollmi wrote:
List of villages in West Virginia wrote:I'm thinking Mannheim didn't really have 13 negs against RM A.
You are correct that the stats must have been entered incorrectly. Manheim Township had 3 minus 5's, not 13. This might have been our first attempt at NAQT in many years, we aren't that bad!
Yeah, I must have enterred an extra 1 by by accident. The stat line for Dan Butler on that match should be 2/2/1 instead of 2/2/11. That should fix up that problem, if whomever is in charge of stats for naqt corrects that.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

SunWukong wrote:The final placement game for GDS and Mannheim Township doesn't seem to have been included in the stats. Is that just an oversight (the stats just didn't make it into the computer) or was the stat sheet misplaced?
I never recieved any stat sheet for this match, meaning it probably never made it to the stat room. Do you recall who moderated this match, perhaps I could ask them?
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

I never recieved any stat sheet for this match, meaning it probably never made it to the stat room. Do you recall who moderated this match, perhaps I could ask them?
I don't remember who it was, but I have my own stats sheet from the match. I don't record who answered for the other team, but that's easy for this match. GDS only had one person.

The final score was GDS 270, MT 185.

As for individual stats in order of 15/10/-5:
GDS: 1/9/0

Dan Butler: 3/2/2
Matthew Allan: 0/1/0
Neil May: 2/0/2
Campbell Fitzhugh: 0/0/0
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I have entered the above corrections into the stats file.

Are there are comments on the JV stats? In particular, any information on the missing Longfellow/Seton Hall match would be appreciated.
Bill Tressler,
Auron

Just a little: both of Dhruv's negs were really from Akil, in the Longfellow and Concord B games.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01