Loyola Ultima (Wilmette, IL) - 1/21/12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Loyola Ultima (Wilmette, IL) - 1/21/12

Post by the return of AHAN »

Well, I didn't mean to upset the apple cart or make things a hassle for you. But I also don't want people to think we're just out for more trophies after winning the New Trier standard and Turnabout over a 3 week stretch... I mean, our A team could very well be dead last in this "Uber" field, but they need to step up and take their shot.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colby Burnett
Lulu

Post by Colby Burnett »

Okay. I'd like to bring my C team to this. Thanks for being understanding to everyone, Matt.
It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man. ~Jack Handey

Fenwick High School (player) 1997-2001
Northwestern 2001-2005
Fenwick High School (Coach) 2011 - 2017
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

As of this moment, Loyola will not be cancelling any activities on Saturday. I am told that nothing will be cancelled unless a water main breaks or the power goes out. The weather reports show that snow should be stopping around midnight tonight. Things will be cleaned up around here well before our tournament starts, but teams should still make every effort to leave early. The building will be open as early as 7am, so do not worry about not having anywhere to go if you do end up having no traffic. Please let me know ASAP via email or cell phone if your school/team decides to drop out or will be late due to weather concerns.

Brackets as they stand now:

Uber-Competitive (12):
Barrington A, Belvidere North A, Carbondale A, Culver A, DCC A, IMSA A, IMSA B, Loyola A, New Trier, Latin, Wheaton Warrenville South A, Zerg Rush

Standard (24):
Barrington B, Belvidere North B, Brother Rice A, Brother Rice B, Carbondale B, Chicago Christian, Culver B, Culver C, Fenton, Fenwick A, Fenwick B, Fenwick C, IMSA C, Loyola Diamond, Loyola Pearl, Loyola Platinum, Maine South A, Maine South B, St. Viator A, St. Viator B, Wauconda A, Wauconda B, Wheaton Warrenville South B, Whitney Young
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

Cahlfs Diamond, Cahlfs Pearl, Cahlfs Platinum
Fix'd
Morgan Venkus
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Brother Rice A and B just dropped from the field due to snow concerns. 22 in Standard right now. We will form 2 scab teams. If anyone else drops, we will adjust the entirety of the schedule. If anyone from Uber drops, we will move Loyola B up, and have 1 or two Loyola teams in Standard, depending on what is needed.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

In Uber, after the round robin, IMSA A emerged 1 win ahead of both DCC and Carbondale. DCC and Carbondale played a game which was won by DCC to play IMSA in a disadvantaged final. The first game of that is going on right now.

In Standard, Wauconda cleared the field while Carbondale B defeated Fenton in a final to get 2nd place.

Stats for both will be up soon, but might be delayed due to the trash tournament.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

IMSA won the first game of the advantaged final 450-345 to claim 1st place over DCC. Congratulations to both teams.

EDIT: Stats: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/152
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Were copies of the set given to teams in attendance at this tournament?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Where do I direct concerns about a question issue? I don't mean the occasional typo, I'm talk about a clue being used in a bonus lead-in, and then as an answer line on part 2 of the same bonus...

@Ben, as far as I know, no teams were handed packets, but I was just a staffer and not the TD.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Please email me at [email protected] with feedback of any kind on the set!
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

on the stats Carbondale is listed as having 12.5 PPB against culver. their tossup count + culver's is too high. Upon further inspection, michael steele apparently has identical tossup stats to ben chametzky that round.

also Rob McClellan (NT) only played for 5 rounds and did not play against imsa A, carbondale A or DCC A.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Wow, every team in the upper division except one broke 20 PPB. And Barrington came very close.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

The stats contain 14 instances of a team having a number of bonus points that is not a multiple of ten.

EDIT: Typo
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

That's a really minor statistical thing, which is barely worth the time to fix it. Example: the Zerg Rush team is listed as having scored 2250 bonus points on 91 bonuses. Two of their rounds have a number of bonus points ending in 5. Assuming those are the only possible sources of error, the likely reality is that their real number of bonus points is in the range of 2240 to 2260. This, in turn, translates to a possible ppb range of 24.615 to 24.835. Those differences hardly seem pursuing after the tournament's completed unless there was a tiebreaker depending on ppb*. If you're worried about my rankings, rest assured that the real impact of any such issues resulting from this are minimal at best.

*nodont
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

The only notable ones to fix that I see are:
1. Dylan states that Carbondale failed to get an Andrew Hart grail against him. Don't know what's the problem.
2. I doubt Barrington had a 7.14 PPB against New Trier. Their only match with lower than 18 PPB was 13.33 on 3 tossups, a low sample size. No idea what's up here.
3. I doubt Carbondale had 12.50 PPB against Culver. (Michael Steele 4/1/1 is probably what caused the problem)
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Yeah it looks like the stats stay there were only 19 tossups answered in our game with Carbondale but I'm almost sure nothing went dead, meaning one of their tossups was counted as a bonus part.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

I want to thank Loyola and Matt Laird for running a great tournament. It was a lot of fun to read for.

In regards to the set I would like to say that besides one or two typographical errors and some repeats and randomization issues, this set was very well written. I would say that this set is close to the difficulty level of GSAC this year and easier than "Normal Difficulty." Looking at the stats for U.C. I believe this set may not have been challenging enough for an extremely stacked field (where if the Barrington stat error is really an error every team broke 20 PPB). In regards to the standard division, I thought the set was perfect for the field as 22 of 24 teams broke 10 PPB (with 1 of the 2 being a scab team formed after a late cancellation).

Overall, I want to congratulate Max Schindler and Ladue for a well-written set. Congrats to IMSA and Wauconda for winning the U.C. and Standard Divisions, respectively.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

We had a great time at this tournament, despite the torturous drive from Detroit through the snow. We're glad we got out to see a lot of great Illinois teams again and we're glad that we got to play so many rounds of quiz bowl. Congrats to IMSA on the win, they're the most impressive team we've played so far this year!
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Bobby, as always it was fun to read for you guys and so many other competitive teams. I'd also like to thank Matt for running a great tournament. Congrats to IMSA for their well-deserved win!
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

My notes for the match against Dylan have us 20ing bonus fifteen and 10ing bonus sixteen.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Sorry for the statistical errors. In all likelihood, they are my errors. I was the lone man in tournament central all day running two tournaments simultaneously and inputting the stats for them. Hopefully next year we will have less snow and a better staffing situation.

Speaking of which, I would like to sincerely thank all of the staff I had on Saturday, especially the coaches who graciously left their teams and read for the tournament. Thanks to: Nick Bergeon, Brad Fischer, Danielle Long, Jonah Greenthal, David Riley, Mike Perovanovic, Tom Egan, Mike Laudermith, Jim Stankevitz, John Basque, Noah Prince, Greg Peterson, Jason Jones, Ali Nagib, Phil Blessman and Lauren Coil-Sherck, Colby Burnett, Neva O'Laughlin, and Jeff Price. Special thanks to Rob Baker for assisting David Riley all day, and sorry to the Barrington team for making you stay in one room for eleven rounds. That was my fault for just throwing the Uber Division into an automated round robin generator.

All stats are now up, as wrong as they are. If you have corrections, please tell me what round number they took place in, and how exactly they should be changed.

Uber-Competitive Division
Standard Division Morning
Standard Division Afternoon
Standard Division Combined

The Sir Dupre Memorial Pop Culture Tournament afterwards raised $300 for Matt's Buzzers. Thanks to Donald Taylor for organizing this event, even if he couldn't be there to run it. Nolan Winkler and Sabrina Lato did an excellent job running things, and Brad Fischer and Greg Peterson did an excellent job setting up the round robin. Thanks also to Ryan Fedewa, who came out to read, even though his team was not at Ultima proper; thanks to the girls from Wauconda for reading; and the the remaining IMSA people for their moderating and staffing skills. Stats can be found here:

http://www.ihssbca.org/statistics/2012_ ... ndings.php
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

I have myself with nine (I'm marked as having seven) tossups over the whole afternoon. The error was that I had three tossups (these 3 were also all powers) for round 8, but was only counted for 1.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.