POSTPONED: The Garden State Mirror of GSAC XIX, 1/21/12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Re: POSTPONED: The Garden State Mirror of GSAC XIX, 1/21/12

Post by SHP Pirate »

Sundays would definitely be an issue for SHP.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Sundays would be preferred to Saturdays, but the approval process for any trip takes a few weeks, so a new date before February break probably wouldn't work.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Of the Sunday dates listed, is there any specific one or two that most would prefer? Perhaps if we can build a consensus for a particular date by responding here, maybe we can reschedule in a way that makes most potential attendees happy. To aid everyone reading this for the first time, here were the Sunday dates I thought SJHS might be able to host: February 5th; February 12th; February 26th; March 4th; March 18th; March 25th; April 1st; April 15th.

No doubt some of these will be better than others, and possibly, some schools like SHP might have a problem with all. Perhaps not. I simply do not know. What I do know is that almost all Saturdays the rest of the year are already booked, so if we are to run the GSAC XIX Set in this region this academic year, it seems a Sunday is our only real choice.

Of course those reading this might prefer that I simply select one Sunday and leave it at that. If so, how about I compromise? I give everyone interested in reviving the GSAC a week to post here, hoping we can arrive at a natural consensus. In the meantime, I check with my Administration, which has already approved a Sunday tournament in principle, concerning which specific Sunday dates might be best for SJHS, and I post this as soon as I learn to aid in the consensus building. If after a week there is a consensus on a specific date, then I will select that date. If on the other hand there is not, then I will select one on my own that seems the most inclusive as far as i can discern this. More than this I cannot do.

So, if this proposal seems reasonable to those wishing a 2nd chance at the GSAC XIX Set, please post here the SPECIFIC date or dates you like best and perhaps this will generate a consensus in a reasonable time. I trust this process is agreeable.

So: Go post agreeable and specific Sunday date(s) right here for all to see to aid in a consensus!!!!!

Thanks.

EDIT: Of the 3 Open Saturday dates I see remaining on our local schedule---January 28th, March 10th and May 5th, all SAT dates I believe---I can also check with my Administration to see if we HOST SAT's on those days. If so, these dates are out and only Sundays are left. If not, I will let everyone know.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

After surveying the team, the consensus from High Tech seems to be that we would all like to see a Sunday 2/12 makeup date. All other dates either fall directly after another tournament we're attending or conflict with a major non-quizbowl event.

2/5: After NHBB and is apparently Superbowl day
2/26: One day after Science Bowl/NHBB States
3/4: Right after Prison Bowl/Bloomfield; impossible for High Tech because of a conflict with Moody's Mega Math Challenge and Chess State Championships
3/18: After an NAQT tournament at Millburn; would strongly prefer NOT this date
3/25: After Wiss-Wash; also right before TSA State Conference (a major event for High Tech); would strongly prefer NOT this date
4/1: After BOAT at Bergen
4/15: After NAQT States at Princeton

Italicized dates are the ones which would be uncomfortable for High Tech. While all dates besides 3/4 should be possible, we would definitely prefer 2/12 by a pretty wide margin. High Tech is very excited about GSAC and would like to play this set relatively soon.

Thank you very much.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

Preferred dates here would be Saturday 1/28 or Sunday 2/12.
Stephen Fineman
Academic Team Advisor, Chatham HS (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

That's 2 votes for February 12th. Any others for the 12th? Meanwhile, I will examine the possibilities for Saturday the 28th.

EDIT: I forgot---many of my kids are taking SAT test on the 28th, and I would need them to help run the tournament, so the 28th is not possible.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

Irvington would (most likely, I haven't discussed it with coaches, but I feel it is best to wait to do that until there is an actual date) be interested for the 12th - but as the field was closed, would I be correct in assuming we would go on a waiting list in case any of the original teams that signed up could not come?
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

No, you would not go on a waiting list. This would involve a new set of registrations, since it cannot be assumed that teams can re-register on the new date.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
theplankt
Kimahri

Post by theplankt »

If 2/12 is indeed chosen as the final date, High Tech may have to register fewer teams since Dr. Eng will be out of the country. Our vote is probably fairly tentative for now.

EDIT: This should no longer be an issue (pending administrative approval), disregard this post, please.
Last edited by theplankt on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angela Zhou
High Tech, '12
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

2/12 will likely work for Ardsley, although we may not be able to come "officially".
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

4/1 would be best for Hunter, though 2/12 and 2/5 are also pretty good.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

In general, Sundays would work better, but anything before February break (weekend of Feb 25-26) might not be possible for us because of the trip-approval process.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Ridgewood is fine for any date except for 2/5
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

It is not definite yet, but I thought everyone interested in a 2nd chance at playing the GSAC XIX Set here at St. Joe's should know that right now February 12th currently seems like the best date for SJHS as well.

I will know for certain one way or another by Friday evening at the latest, at which point I will post a more definitive message here. But I thought everyone interested in attending a rescheduled GSAC should know this now and find it helpful in crystallizing their own plans.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Beth.Shobe
Kimahri

Post by Beth.Shobe »

Hello,
So far I know that the Feb 5th and 12th EBHS would not be able to attend. I am waiting on responses about the later dates (our team only meets once a week and not during exams so I have less access to them than normal).

Thank you
Beth Shobe
anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

Wissahickon should be fine with almost every date. The one exception would probably be March 25, since it's right after our own tournament (well, assuming that we get enough registrations to run a tournament :wink: )

February 12 is one day after the Harvard-MIT Math Tournament, so I (and possibly others) might be pretty tired, but that won't stop us from coming if it is rescheduled for that date.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

It is official: Saint Joe's is RESCHEDULING its Garden State Academic Competition for Sunday, February 12th.

This date was selected for TWO fundamental reasons. FIRST, it is the only date around which most teams preferences coalesced---I believe 6 out of 7 or 7 out of 8 schools posting on this thread either thought it was a good date, or actually the best date---or at least thought that it was not a bad date---while no other specific date received more than 1 such voting preference.

SECOND, it was a date for which our building was available, unencumbered by any major basketball or theatre concerns, whereas most other Sundays were so compromised, and it was also a date our Fathers' Club could provide food for the day, and finally, it was picked because most of my staffing people can be here at SJHS. So, it was a not a hard date to select given all of these factors.

I hope of course that some schools who said they might have trouble with the 12th---for example, BCA or EBHS---or have trouble with any Sunday---like SHP---are somehow able to overcome these potential obstacles and come anyway. If not, I understand and I apologize in turn for not being able to find a more accomodating date for them.

For everyone else who can make it and still wants to come, I will create a new FORUM site before this evening is done, copying all the particualrs from the original site, except, of course, the new date. So you can begin to sign up on that new FORUM, and, if it turns out you will also need an invoice, please indicate that when you register and I will try to email you one ASAP.

Thanks, and I hope to see as many of you as possible. I am still targeting a field of 24, so, please, register at your earliest convenience. And please, if you can bring buzzers, bring as many as you can. Thanks!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ