2010-11 NAQT IS sports question discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: 2010-11 NAQT IS sports question discussion

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I think

1) it's hard to say what's fun for everyone, so taking "sports questions are fun for Matt Duchan" to "sports questions are fun" is a leap; for that reason, I don't think decisions about what distributions should be increased and decreased should be made on the basis of what's fun
2) quizbowl is about fun, sure, just like everything we elect to do in any way, but we do keep score; since we keep score and like to determine champions, I think it is first priority that games of quizbowl be fair; therefore, that should be the basis of the distribution

I can certainly describe many distributions including sports as "fair," particularly because "fairness" involves many premises about what types of knowledge we want to test (and thus what we find to fairly accomplish that). That should be our criterion to see whether we ought to have sports.
Andrew Watkins
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

MattNC wrote:
Presumably a lot, seeing as HSNCT sports had a significantly lower conversion rate than the all-subject average.
So because people at HSNCT can't answer sports as well as other subjects, that means that sports questions don't matter and shouldn't be there? There are some teams that just play this for fun without much studying and the smile on that kid's face when he gets a sports question after daydreaming through those science and lit questions is quite amusing and great. That's what makes quiz bowl so fun and diverse. The fact that some teams study a lot and do better than others, but then there are other teams that are just there to have fun, learn things and get some questions right.

Now I do study some, but not a ton, and I feel so positive after I power a sports question that I feel that I can do anything to change the game after that question. Quiz Bowl IS about having fun and attracting as many people as possible to it, and then once they get the gist of what is expected, they go and get better and progress.
Come on dude, now you're shamelessly conflating my arguments. I said that while I don't oppose trash in regular season sets, it should be important and accessable. The fact that, in what is by far the largest tournament with conversion data on sports this year had a low conversion rate for it shows it isn't now. I'm OK with it in regular sets because of the new teams argument, as I've said before, but that doesn't apply to nationals where every team knows and cares at least enough to qualify, shell out a lot of money, and frequently travel a good distance.

And I agree with what Andy said.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

ITT talk about all the sports questions you've got or haven't got in the past year.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

Can you post all the soccer TU's and bonuses from the past year?

I don't think there are very many, but if there are it's fine if you don't post.
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

IS #96 wrote:For 10 points each--answer the following about French soccer players related to the 2010 World Cup team:

A. France got into the World Cup when a goal scored off the hand of this player--now with the New York Red Bulls--was allowed in a 2009 qualifying match versus Ireland.

answer: Thierry (Daniel) _Henry_

B. France's poor performance at the World Cup was criticized by this player, who won the Golden Ball at the 2006 World Cup, but head-butted an Italian player in the final.

answer: Zinedine (Yazid) _Zidane_

C. This Chelsea player, a striker on the 2010 French team, was sent home early after profanely insulting coach Raymond Domenech at halftime of a loss to Mexico and was suspended for 18 games.

answer: Nicolas (Sebastien) _Anelka_
IS #97A wrote:One country's 2010 World Cup soccer team was coached by a star from its 1986 championship team. For 10 points each--

A. Name that South American country, whose main stadium is El Monumental in Buenos Aires.

answer: _Argentina_ or _Argentine Republic_

B. Argentina's 2010 coach was this legend whose controversial "Hand of God" goal helped his side beat England in the 1986 quarterfinals.

answer: Diego (Armando) _Maradona_

C. This 2009 FIFA World Player of the Year, who plays for Barcelona, was a striker on the 2010 Argentine World Cup team.

answer: Lionel (Andr\'es) _Messi_
IS #98 wrote:For 10 points each--name these nations that have won the FIFA World Cup:

A. The first World Cup was won by this South American nation, which also hosted. It won against in 1950, and had a fourth-place finish in 2010.

answer: Oriental Republic of _Uruguay_

B. The first European nation to win, it won the title in 1934 and again in 1938. More recently, it won the 2006 World Cup over France.

answer: _Italy_ or _Italian Republic_

C. This nation, which lost in the 1950 final to Uruguay, won its first title in 1958. It won again in 1962 and 1970.

answer: Federative Republic of _Brazil_
IS #99A wrote:For 10 points each--name these countries that played a prominent role at soccer's 2010 FIFA World Cup:

A. This nation hosted the 2010 World Cup, the first African country to do so.

answer: Republic of _South Africa_

B. This defending champion failed to get a win, drawing New Zealand and Paraguay and failing to get out of the group stage.

answer: _Italy_ or _Italian Republic_

C. Though this nation only finished in third place, they scored the most total goals, with 16 and had the greatest {goal differential}, with 11.

answer: Federal Republic of _Germany_
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

IS #100 wrote:For 10 points each--name these U.S. soccer team stars who played at the 2010 World Cup:

A. This 2009 MLS MVP for the Los Angeles Galaxy has scored the most goals in U.S. team history and tapped in the game winner against Algeria.

answer: Landon (Timothy) _Donovan_

B. He scored against Ghana in the 2006 World Cup and against England in 2010 thanks to Robert Green's goalkeeping blunder.

answer: Clint(on Drew) _Dempsey_

C. This midfielder scored against Slovenia, and is the son of U.S. coach Bob.

answer: Michael _Bradley_
IS #101A wrote:For 10 points each--answer these questions about FIFA's rules of soccer:

A. What object wielded by the referee is displayed to indicate that a player is disqualified from the game for serious foul play?

answer: _red card_ (prompt on partial answers)

B. What procedure is used to restart play if the ball crosses over one of the two {touch lines}?

answer: _throw-in_

C. If a game is tied at the end of regulation, what is the maximum total length of overtime that can be played?

answer: _30 minutes_ (accept _half an hour_; prompt on "30")
IS #102 wrote:In July 2009 the highest paid player in Major League Soccer was booed when he took the field against the New York Red Bulls. For 10 points each--

A. Name that former midfielder for Manchester United.

answer: David (Robert Joseph) _Beckham_

B. Beckham plays for this MLS team, alongside Landon Donovan.

answer: _Los Angeles_ _Galaxy_ (accept either)

C. The fans booed him because they were displeased with Beckham extending his loan to this European team past the start of the MLS season.

answer: AC _Milan_ (or Associazione Calcio _Milan_)
IS #103A wrote:He missed the 2010 World Cup due to a torn Achilles tendon. For 10 points each--

A. Name this English soccer player who, after playing with Manchester United and Real [REY-ahl] Madrid, joined MLS in 2007. He is married to a former member of the Spice Girls.

answer: David (Robert Joseph) _Beckham_

B. Beckham signed with this California team when he came to MLS.

answer: _Los Angeles_ _Galaxy_ (accept either; accept _L. A._)

C. One of Beckham's teammates at Real Madrid was this French star, the winner of the Golden Ball in 2006 when France finished second at the World Cup.

answer: Zinedine (Yazid) _Zidane_
IS #104 wrote:The November 2010 El Clasico resulted in a 5-0 win for the home team. For 10 points each--

A. The El Clasico rivalry features two soccer teams from this European nation that won the 2010 World Cup.

answer: Kingdom of _Spain_

B. This team won that fall 2010 match, though Real Madrid holds a three-game lead in the all-time series.

answer: FC _Barcelona_ (or _Barca_)

C. This {Barcelona} striker scored two goals in that game. He scored five goals in Spain's 2010 Cup run.

answer: David _Villa_ (Sanchez)
IS #105 wrote:For 10 points each--answer these questions about FIFA's laws of soccer:

A. A regulation match includes how many minutes of play?

answer: _90_ minutes (accept _1 hour, 30 minutes_ or _1 1/2 hours_ or _1.5 hours_ or _3/2 hours_)

B. What type of kick is used to restart play when the ball passes over the goal line without a goal being scored and was last touched by a member of the attacking team?

answer: _goal_ kick

C. What is the distance, in yards, from the goal line to the penalty mark?

answer: _12_ yards (accept _11 meters_; do not accept or prompt on "11")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Something is clearly slightly wrong with our distribution system, since this subcategory generated all bonuses and no tossups. (It's probable that there were some soccer tossups categorized as "miscellaneous sports.") I'll ask R. about fixing this for next year.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF