2011 HSNCT conversion stats discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: 2011 HSNCT conversion stats discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

The Herb wrote:Could I see that Tossup on "Relegation"--as well as the acceptable responses? I may be misremembering, but I recall it confusing me by mentioning aspects of both promotion and relegation.
HSNCT round 3 wrote:This method of entering the Football League Championship awaited two of the five teams, including Blackburn and Wolves, that were separated by just one point entering the final weekend of 2011 play. Avram Grant was fired after (*) West Ham United clinched this consequence of finishing in the Premier League's bottom three. For 10 points--the "pyramid system" of English soccer is made possible by what opposite of promotion?

answer: _relegation_ (prompt on "demotion")
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The Herb
Lulu

Post by The Herb »

bt_green_warbler wrote:This method of entering the Football League Championship awaited two of the five teams, including Blackburn and Wolves, that were separated by just one point entering the final weekend of 2011 play. Avram Grant was fired after (*) West Ham United clinched this consequence of finishing in the Premier League's bottom three. For 10 points--the "pyramid system" of English soccer is made possible by what opposite of promotion?

answer: _relegation_ (prompt on "demotion")
Thanks. I misheard the tossup. That's definitely, unambiguously "relegation." And I'm definitely, unambiguously stupid for not having buzzed in on the first line of that question.
Basil Smitham
Walt Whitman High School '12
Yale '16
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

What were the stats for the Glorious tossup in round 16? I might just have excessive knowledge of Napoleonic naval history, but I thought that "Have you ever heard of the Glorious First of June here's 15 points" was pretty easy. Similarly the bubble chamber one - "Have you ever heard of Gargamelle" as a lead-in, and then some stuff that's not much more helpful until a rather strange giveaway.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Important Bird Area

Glorious: 16/52/5 in 70 rooms

bubble chamber: 0/20/23 in 35 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Joe N wrote:What were the stats for the Glorious tossup in round 16? I might just have excessive knowledge of Napoleonic naval history, but I thought that "Have you ever heard of the Glorious First of June here's 15 points" was pretty easy. Similarly the bubble chamber one - "Have you ever heard of Gargamelle" as a lead-in, and then some stuff that's not much more helpful until a rather strange giveaway.
Edit: No, I was wrong. (thought I recognized a power) Edit 2: I guess I wasn't wrong, oops.
Last edited by Sniper, No Sniping! on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

CavsFan2k10 wrote:
Joe N wrote:What were the stats for the Glorious tossup in round 16? I might just have excessive knowledge of Napoleonic naval history, but I thought that "Have you ever heard of the Glorious First of June here's 15 points" was pretty easy. Similarly the bubble chamber one - "Have you ever heard of Gargamelle" as a lead-in, and then some stuff that's not much more helpful until a rather strange giveaway.
Solid Sacha Baron Cohen filmography knowledge also would have given you 15.
A perfect example of why trash doesn't belong at a quizbowl national championship.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 16 wrote:This adjective describes the date of June 1, 1795, that saw the first fleet action of the French Revolutionary Wars. It also describes the nation of Kazakhstan in the subtitle of ~Borat~ and the "Appearing" that ends the ~Left (*) Behind~ series. The summer that arises from "the winter of our discontent" in ~Richard III~ is also--for 10 points--described by what adjective applied to the bloodless revolution led by William and Mary?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Joe N wrote:I might just have excessive knowledge of Napoleonic naval history
You do.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

Solid Sacha Baron Cohen filmography knowledge also would have given you 15.[/quote]

Guilty as charged
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I would feel comfortable using the Glorious First of June as a lead-in to a tossup at a very hard college tournament, even at Chicago Open or ACF Nationals. I would bet a decent amount of money that it would get buzzed on in relatively few rooms at such a tournament.

I do hear that the high school players are very good these days, but I doubt they are that good.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source