What's up with Utah?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ermaxfield
Lulu

What's up with Utah?

Post by ermaxfield »

I just graduated from high school, and this next fall I will be going out to Brigham Young University in Utah. I was just wondering if anyone here knew much about the quiz bowl program out there. (I noticed there was no discussion about Utah specifically--western qb seems to be centered in California.) I believe the term for BYU's qb team is "inactive." However, this is all I know concerning quiz bowl in Utah.
Is it very developed, severely lacking, non-existent, etc, etc? I would like to start something if there is no strong program there--whether it be with local high schools or simply an informal college type program. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this--such as recruiting, gathering interest, and overall tips in general for a first timer? I've already talked to David Madden about working with high schools and maybe even middle schools to get them involved with the National History Bee/Bowl, but I would like to expand it by including other qb question providers, notably NAQT and HSAPQ.
Thanks!
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
"Quiz bowlers have good ear-to-hand coordination." --PeterPanda Jiang
"I hired you to help me start a war. It's a very prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: What's up with Utah?

Post by cvdwightw »

There is a very small high school circuit that runs on NAQT questions. NAQT indicates that teams from Juan Diego Catholic, St. Joseph Catholic, and Christian Heritage attended a 2011 tournament on IS-A questions.

BYU showed up to ACF Regionals last year (2010), so I think they still have some sort of team. I can send you the contact information of a couple of students who have been in charge of the program in past years; perhaps they can point you to the remnants of the team.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Boise State seems to be closer (6 hours vs 11 hours to ASU and UC Irvine according to Google Maps) and hosted MUT this year and last year.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah, Utah is closer to Boise State than we are in Seattle. It would be awesome for the circuit if you could get a Utah team up and running. Boise hosts about two tournaments a year, but if that part of the circuit starts growing (there was a team at Idaho that came to some tournaments last year, for instance), it's possible that more tournaments could be held in the Boise area. You guys are also not incredibly far from the Bay Area (looks to be around 10-11 hours) so that's another maybe once-a-year option.

Feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]) if you have any questions about the circuit.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ermaxfield
Lulu

Post by ermaxfield »

Dwight--I would love some contacts, thanks!

So the general consensus is that quiz bowl is more established in Utah's surrounding areas? I see.
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
"Quiz bowlers have good ear-to-hand coordination." --PeterPanda Jiang
"I hired you to help me start a war. It's a very prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

For what it's worth, you could probably use :kenj: to drum up quite a bit of interest.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

It sounds like there might also be some kind of team at Southern Utah University based on this article. Might want to make some inquiries to those folks.

If you're up for an 11 hour drive, we in San Diego would certainly be glad to have y'all at any tournament. I suspect most California programs would be more than willing to work with a BYU team on any entry fees, so don't let that dissuade you from coming.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Emaline, try looking for someone named Trace Stay, and/or e-mailing [email protected]. About a month ago, the Voice of ASU Quizbowl (namely, [email protected]) received an e-mail from that address, signed by Trace. However, we wrote back and haven't heard anything since.

It does look like your shortest travel time would be to Boise State, but if you guys ever want to come to ASU we're ecstatic to have you.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

ermaxfield wrote:So the general consensus is that quiz bowl is more established in Utah's surrounding areas? I see.
Not quite. Wyoming and New Mexico, to my knowledge, are still blighted wastelands of death in collegiate quizbowl. (There are scattered reports of intramural activity, but nothing has gotten through the mountainous barriers for some time.) Colorado has high school activity and someone tried to start a college club at UColorado-Boulder a couple years ago but they haven't made it to a tournament yet, I don't know if they've folded or are still gasping for breath. Arizona has Univ. of Arizona trying to build up a new team, but remains dependent until then on a precariously established Arizona State club whose founder just stepped down. Idaho has Boise State, which sounds like a smaller but somewhat more stable club that started around the same time ASU did. I've also heard there was once a club at UNLV, but it's been a while since I last heard anything out of Nevada. And Utah, of course, is what you see from your vantage point.

So, I think all of us in quizbowl will welcome your enthusiasm and look forward to seeing a lot more quizbowl in Utah.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

There appear to be high schools in cities just south of Provo (the Nebo School District) that have giant "Knowledge Bowl Week" IM tournaments. You may be able to contact some of the people who run those tournaments and see if they're up for something interscholastic.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I contacted Provo High, which is a listed member of National History Club, to ask about the possibility of hosting. I've not received a response yet; I will follow up tomorrow.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

We've had Utah schools come up to Boise for tournaments. I have contact info for some schools. I know that Juan Diego and Saint Josephs both have somewhat-established programs. I can put you in touch with them.

Also, I can add you to my mailing list so that you're notified of tournaments up here. It's only a 5 hour trip. :)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams