PHSAT XVIII (10/2/10) Results Thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

PHSAT XVIII (10/2/10) Results Thread

Post by Youse Da Force »

Congratulations to Hunter A, the champions of this year's PHSAT! Hunter A defeated Bergen A 765 to 0 in the final round of play today. Hunter B took third amongst our 42 teams, followed by Charter A, and St. Joseph A, MAST A, Charter B, and Ranney A tied for 5th place.

Our highest individual scorer of the evening was Bobby of MAST at 85.8 ppg, followed by Grace of High Tech and Ben of West Chester at 75.8 ppg and 72.5 ppg respectively.

Our thanks to Dave Madden of the National History Bowl and National History Bee for his donations of prizes to the 1st place team and cookies every round to all players with powers. Dave runs a new buzzer-based nation-wide history competition and he brought his staff and resources to help at the tournament today. More information about his competition can be found at http://www.historybowl.com/.

I would also like to thank Dunbar High School and Sandy Huang for writing our question set.

And a reminder, the set is being mirrored at other sites for the next few months, so you MAY NOT DISCUSS CONTENT here. Form, writing style, dificulty, and only (I imagine) simple, completely uninformative comments about distribution or content (i.e. just good or bad) can be made. If you have specific complaints about questions, email me. We're working on an edited copy for Dunbar.

Basically, if in doubt, don't say it here

Obviously, any comments about the tournament itself will be greatly appreciated. I'll start: despite having them the past two years, this year I forgot to print copies of the playoff schedule for teams, causing some headaches. Obviously I need to make sure I have them next year.

And thank you all teams, for coming!

Here are stats links:
Prelims: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Playoffs: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Unfortunately, the scoresheets for Seton Hall v Charter A (Winner Charter) and Charter A v Charter B (Winner: Charter A) are mixed into the detritus of the tournament at the moment. The rounds have been entered as forfeits for now. We WILL notify NAQT of this and the results will be updated once we find the sheets when we sort through everything at practice on Monday. In the meantime, if any coaches happen to have the results, even partial, I would appreciate getting a copy.

Playoffs took the top two teams from each bracket + 4 wild cards selected by PPB. Seeding was Record-> H2H -> PPB.
Last edited by Youse Da Force on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Humphrey
Princeton University (2008- ) Tournament Director, President Emeritus
Garfield Heights High School (2004-2008)
jonpin
Auron

Re: PHSAT XVIII (10/2/10) Results Thread

Post by jonpin »

Final box score wrote: Hunter A 765, Bergen A 0
Hunter A: Lily Chen 3 0 0 45, Zihan Zhang 5 3 0 105, York Chen 4 3 0 90, Paul Moschetti 1 1 0 25
Bergen A: Joseph 0 0 0 0, Stephany 0 0 0 0, Josh 0 0 0 0, Michael 0 0 0 0
Bonuses: Hunter A 20 500 25.00, Bergen A 0 0 0.00
:shock: :monocle: :w-hat: Wow. Well done.
Youse Da Force wrote: Our highest individual scorer of the evening was Bobby of MAST A at 87.50 ppg, followed by Alex Frey of St Joseph A and Cassidy of Conestoga at 75 ppg and 65 ppg respectively.
Looks like these were accidentally taken from the playoff individual standings. Top 3 scorers for the prelims were Bobby (MAST) 85.8; Grace (High Tech) 75.8; Ben (West Chester) 72.5
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

jonpin wrote:
Youse Da Force wrote: Our highest individual scorer of the evening was Bobby of MAST A at 87.50 ppg, followed by Alex Frey of St Joseph A and Cassidy of Conestoga at 75 ppg and 65 ppg respectively.
Looks like these were accidentally taken from the playoff individual standings. Top 3 scorers for the prelims were Bobby (MAST) 85.8; Grace (High Tech) 75.8; Ben (West Chester) 72.5
Yep, good call. I just noticed it, but you beat me to it. Thanks.
Dan Humphrey
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Youse Da Force wrote: We WILL notify NAQT of this
Why?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Charbroil wrote:
Why?
If this was run on DAFT, not an NAQT set, and was, therefore, not a HSNCT qualifier, why would NAQT care? Wouldn't you just modify the stats you put up yourself?
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

[comments of questionable relevance to question content were here]

Don't risk it! - the mgmt
Joe
Delaware
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Joe N wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
Why?
If this was run on DAFT, not an NAQT set, and was, therefore, not a HSNCT qualifier, why would NAQT care? Wouldn't you just modify the stats you put up yourself?
In case it's taken into account in a wild card bid, for one.

We are modifying the stats ourselves.
Dan Humphrey
anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

Thanks to everyone who helped organize/volunteered/baked cookies/etc. for the tournament! Our team wasn't really sure what to expect, and in the end, the way the tournament was run (pretty much every part of it) really left a good impression on all of us and made for an extremely fun day. It also might have helped that we did quite a bit better than we thought we would, heh. We did leave early, though, so we missed what was apparently a pretty exciting final match.
The readers and scorers, especially ours in the first round, were very friendly and definitely seemed dedicated to what they were doing, and they played a big part in helping make our team feel comfortable during the rounds.
Overall, we had a blast, and we would definitely come to more tournaments that were run as smoothly as this one! :smile:
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:[comments of questionable relevance to question content were here]

Am I missing something or is this perhaps slightly informative of the question content...?

Not anymore! - the mgmt
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

wexs883198215 wrote:
Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:[comments of questionable relevance to question content were here]

Am I missing something or is this perhaps slightly informative of the question content...?

Not anymore! - the mgmt
It may well be general enough, Sandy, but I ain't taking risks! - the mgmt
Sandy
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

wexs883198215 wrote:

Not anymore! - the mgmt
It may well be general enough, Sandy, but I ain't taking risks! - the mgmt
Hey, so now when I play the set at OSU I know that there is at least one question dealing with yeah that's a problem - the mgmt. Maybe I'm thick, but that doesn't really give me any ideas that I could potentially use to answer a question.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11