On-going season rankings

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Re: On-going season rankings

Post by Whiter Hydra »

RyuAqua wrote:Also out of curiosity, does anyone know/remember what the Byko formula was, and why ti might go wrong, doing something such as putting a one-tournament winner from New Hampshire on top? I remember hearing it was weighted somehow based on the previous rankings of teams, meaning beating the number 2 team moved you much further up than beating the number 200 team.
It used a system called KRACH, which essentially recursively calculated a ranking.

Edited to fix the link --mgmt.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The real crippling flaw of the Bykowski ranking was really the fact that he included results from every bad tournament he could get his hands on. If it were brought back with only tournaments being run on A-sets or better being included, I would have really enjoy having that to rank teams too, sort of a BCS computer ranking to Fred's AP poll.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:The real crippling flaw of the Bykowski ranking was really the fact that he included results from every bad tournament he could get his hands on. If it were brought back with only tournaments being run on A-sets or better being included, I would have really enjoy having that to rank teams too, sort of a BCS computer ranking to Fred's AP poll.
There should totally be a coaches poll.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
mkanu
Lulu

Post by mkanu »

Then we should have a poll that's the average of all the other polls. That would give us the best rankings.
Meghamsh Kanuparthy
duPont Manual A Team Captain
duPont Manual High School Class of 2012
Harvard University Class of 2016
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

Well, the Dec. 4th Houston Hoedown at St. John's is now in the record books -- and Cistercian Prep had some nice results.
Our JV "A" team took the # 1 spot at the end of the day in that division. For a group of 4 freshmen who've never played together as an ensemble, I was very impressed with how they meshed, fought back, and ultimately, won the day!

Our Varsity "A" had a nice run through the entire prelim rounds going 6 - 0 along with Seven Lakes.
In single elimination they continued doing nicely. Only the finals presented
a bit of challenge. In a LASA 'A' vs. CPS 'A", LASA came up the better.
LASA played a great, great game and deserved the # 1 slot at the end of the day.

When loooking back over the entire day, the Cistercian varsity 'A' did a nice job
all the way through -- both LASA and CPS finished the day with with 9-1 records,
if memory serves me correctly.

Hopefully, the upcoming national rankings will make my heart go pitter-patter with
some improvement in our standing, but at the end of the day, the game is still Atlanta/Nationals.

PS: Our Varsity "B" team team did very commendable work, too, running the prelims with 5-1 records;
however, the seedings of the gaggle of 5-1 teams didn't give us any leeway, so they exited sooner than we
would have hoped. But, they are a fantastically gifted group of Sophomores (and 1 junior)!

Many thanks to Chris Romero, grandmaster of NAQT-TEXAS and Ted Curry, our host at St. John's School/Houston.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Post by Chandragupta Maurya »

Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad wrote:Well, the Dec. 4th Houston Hoedown at St. John's is now in the record books -- and Cistercian Prep had some nice results.
Stats for the aforementioned tournament can be found here: http://www.texasquizbowl.org/d/10hohoho ... dings.html
Vimal Konduri
Cistercian Preparatory School '13
Harvard '17
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

Chandragupta Maurya wrote:
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad wrote:Well, the Dec. 4th Houston Hoedown at St. John's is now in the record books -- and Cistercian Prep had some nice results.
Stats for the aforementioned tournament can be found here: http://www.texasquizbowl.org/d/10hohoho ... dings.html
What set was this tournament run on?
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

As stated (twice!) in the other thread, IS98.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

I know someone mentioned a tournament at St. John's earlier. Does anyone know what set it used?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

There could be a poll like the preseason one mentioned in another thread that was made up of ballots from people who submit them - that would be interesting
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Chandragupta Maurya wrote:There could be a poll like the preseason one mentioned in another thread that was made up of ballots from people who submit them - that would be interesting
As in a midseason poll?
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

SoLegit12 wrote:
Chandragupta Maurya wrote:There could be a poll like the preseason one mentioned in another thread that was made up of ballots from people who submit them - that would be interesting
As in a midseason poll?
Sort of, but in December, not May
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

Last year's midseason poll was published at the end of January.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

We should probably start the mid-season poll after this week since it seems there won't be many big tournaments on the 18th and definitely none on the 25th.
Kay, Chicago.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:It seems there won't be many big tournaments on the 18th...
Don't let Jonah hear you say this, or he'll need to remind you that ADVANTAGE is being represented by FIVE STATES!!!
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The mid-season poll will not be happening until after the tournaments of December.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

RyuAqua wrote:Dwight: with people such as Coach C and myself looking back to they days of an objective (if flawed, as Byko's was) ranking model for teams, is there any way one could engineer (and run) a new nationwide set of team rankings from the statistical stuff you've been working on? Or would that require a completely different approach, since this model only works for an individual question set?
So as I understand it, Byko's model (and the KRACH model it derives from) and NAQT's model (and the ELO model it derives from) both use only W-L record and compute rankings recursively that way. What this model does is use actual question-conversion statistics to generate a theoretically-more-real model of how teams that don't play each other might fare in a real game.

We can use a modified KRACH rating. Let's start with every team having a value of 1000, because that's a nice number. If we input the "expected long run" W-L matrix into the KRACH ratings, we should get new ratings. (If we want, we can then run the KRACH ratings for each individual tournament on that packet set, using actual W-L data.) Use these ratings as the initial conditions to the KRACH rating of the next packet set, with "expected long run" W-L matrix on a new set (let any teams with no data have a value of 1000).

We can do the exact same thing for the ELO ratings - start every team with a value of 1000 (or 1200 as in NAQT's model), input the "expected long run" W-L matrix into the ELO ratings, compute new ELO ratings (and then modify with actual tournament W-L data, if preferred), input another tournament's "expected long run" W-L matrix (and actual W-L data, if preferred) into the ELO ratings. Actually, with ELO, we can also use the "Monte Carlo simulation" win percentages as well, which is likely going to give more accurate results at the cost of much more computation. The other thing that the ELO ratings allow us to do is assign different K-values (a modifier that says how much a team's ranking increases/decreases) to different tournaments - for instance, "regular" sets could have K-values of 32, while "novice" sets could have K-values of 16.

While I'm at it, one thing I'd love to see is NAQT using the "expected long run" model (or some variant of the "Monte Carlo" model) on the HSNCT prelim statistics to seed teams for the HSNCT playoffs, rather than their current use of PP20H that does not take schedule strength into account. I don't know exactly how feasible this is, though.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

So, it's not an update to the rankings, but I just made a post about how I try to evaluate performances on other tournaments. You can find it here.
Fred Morlan

Just dropping in to let the world of quizbowl know that Ladue is the real thing and should be around the top 20, and lots of other teams from Missouri are suddenly quite strong and worth worrying about if you find your team opposing them in a game. This is quite an exciting development in our traditionally weak state.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Barring the discovery of recently-unpublished statistics, I now have all known data from IS-96 processed (with the usual caveats - powers, 10s, negs, bonus points per bonus controlled all kept, nothing wacky like worksheets). Attached find the (hopefully final) IS-96 "expected long run" stats. I also fixed the error in the Monte Carlo simulation score output, but the Excel file is too big to upload.

Discuss, debate, whatever it is you people do with these rankings. I just make 'em.
Attachments
IS96_ProcessedStatsAndGames_1204.xlsx
Expected long run stats for IS-96
(216.06 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

HSQB Rankings wrote:90. Centennial (GA)
I'm guessing this is going to change after Centennial's performance at Chattahoochee's BATE mirror today.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
HSQB Rankings wrote:90. Centennial (GA)
I'm guessing this is going to change after Centennial's performance at Chattahoochee's BATE mirror today.
Given the early stats, I certainly cannot disagree.
Fred Morlan
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Centennial actually beat Dorman 560-110 in the final round at Chattahoochee today. They have been seriously underestimated so far this year.

EDIT: added actual score of Centennial-Dorman final.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Mmmmmmmmmmmm rankings.
Fred Morlan
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Previously, you had mentioned that, starting with these rankings, you would place greater weight on head-to-head results instead of relying almost exclusively on ppb as you did previously. Did you do this? If so, would you mind explaining your methodology further? When you're feeling more motivated, at least.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Haven't had time, though I doubt anything significant would be changed.
Fred Morlan
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

If I'm reading it right, it looks like you said Northmont was only one player strong at ADVANTAGE. If so, that is not accurate. They definitely had a full squad (I don't know if they were missing anyone). It was a different Ohio team, "Hamilton", that was one guy.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Dominator wrote:If I'm reading it right, it looks like you said Northmont was only one player strong at ADVANTAGE. If so, that is not accurate. They definitely had a full squad (I don't know if they were missing anyone). It was a different Ohio team, "Hamilton", that was one guy.
Yeah, that was Joe Nutter from Walnut Hills, if I recall correctly.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Dominator wrote:If I'm reading it right, it looks like you said Northmont was only one player strong at ADVANTAGE. If so, that is not accurate. They definitely had a full squad (I don't know if they were missing anyone). It was a different Ohio team, "Hamilton", that was one guy.
It might also be a typo; I thought I overheard something or other about Northmont being short one player on Saturday. Then again, I don't really know.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Here's the flaw I see with not taking into account actual games: Dorman moved up a spot in these rankings, from 6 to 5, after losing to both TJ B and Centennial. Obviously I think Dorman's still a top 10 team, but that just seems ridiculous. Also, I would have put Centennial ahead of us, if not also ahead of Dorman, after Centennial's performance at CATT.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

State College A lost to LASA A 385-310 at Harvard Fall
LASA A lost to Hunter A 415-250 at Harvard's Delta Burke
Hunter A lost to Dorman A 350-325 at Harvard Fall
Dorman A lost to Thomas Jefferson B 375-290 at GSAC
Thomas Jefferson B lost to Detroit Catholic Central B 380-200 at Fright
Detroit Catholic Central B lost to Novi B 275-240 at the University of Michigan Autumn Classic
Novi B lost to Ann Arbor Huron 210-170 at the University of Michigan Autumn Classic
Ann Arbor Huron lost to Thurston A 190-155 at the University of Michigan Autumn Classic
Thurston A forfeited to Chelsea at the University of Michigan Autumn Classic
Chelsea forfeited to Jackson at the University of Michigan Autumn Classic

I would like to congratulate Jackson High School on being the best high school quiz bowl team in America. I anticipate that both the NSC and the HSNCT will be canceled this year, as no team stands a chance of making up the 640 point per game difference between the Jackson squad and the second best team in quiz bowl, State College.
Fred Morlan
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

styxman wrote:
It might also be a typo; I thought I overheard something or other about Northmont being short one player on Saturday. Then again, I don't really know.
From what I know of the Northmont team, they were full strength at ADVANTAGE, and were missing one player at the Louisville tournament, playing Sam Blizzard (an 8th grader, albeit an incredibly talented 8th grader) in lieu of Michael Czupryn, their 2nd best player.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Inkana7 wrote:
styxman wrote:
From what I know of the Northmont team, they were full strength at ADVANTAGE, and were missing one player at the Louisville tournament, playing Sam Blizzard (an 8th grader, albeit an incredibly talented 8th grader) in lieu of Michael Czupryn, their 2nd best player.
Jarret is correct. As is Nikhil.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Here's the flaw I see with not taking into account actual games: Dorman moved up a spot in these rankings, from 6 to 5, after losing to both TJ B and Centennial. Obviously I think Dorman's still a top 10 team, but that just seems ridiculous. Also, I would have put Centennial ahead of us, if not also ahead of Dorman, after Centennial's performance at CATT.
Dorman dropped from 4 to 5.
Nick
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

A 6 where there was supposed to be a 4? Proof that PPB can't adequately rank teams! Vindication at last!
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

A PRESENT?! FOR MEEEEEEEEE?!

Attached is my collection of stats that I've been using so far; I haven't touched them in about a month. I hope this is helpful to other people, and possibly to myself if people note mistakes.

Edit: Actually, I think that's an old file. Hold on.

Editx2: Not an old file. Reposting.
Attachments
hsqb stats - posting.xlsx
(84 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Fred Morlan
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

cvdwightw wrote:.. Gimranov-formatted stats are harder in their own way - they don't require a manual search, but rather lots of clicking back and forth between games. In short, while it probably takes me 30-60 seconds per team to mine data from NAQT's website, it will take me a lot longer to do it with other stats formats.
This is now fixed in QBSQL-- results on gimranov.com are now more detailed and better-organized. Other installations of QBSQL will change when their administrators update to the most recent version.
Avram Lyon
Kazan Federal University '11
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've got a new set of rankings up.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm playing around with some polls over on the blog. Give me feedback on if you think it's interesting/worthwhile/whatever.
Fred Morlan
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

St. Anselm's is way underrated again, Aidan in a really good player. Are you still not looking at head-to-head?
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

I'm ridiculously impressed by your efforts, Fred
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:St. Anselm's is way underrated again, Aidan in a really good player. Are you still not looking at head-to-head?
Guess I'm just underrating half of the teams in the top 50.

I've already made my statements about the importance of head-to-head; unfortunately, at this point in the season and the year, I don't have time to go back through every single tournament and track each team's face-offs with each of the 200 or so teams I have under consideration for the rankings.
TheKingInYellow wrote:I'm ridiculously impressed by your efforts, Fred
Thanks.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Somewhat noteworthy: the site for this had 660 hits yesterday, which is the most ever.
Fred Morlan

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:St. Anselm's is way underrated again, Aidan in a really good player.
As Fred alluded to, I bet you will be shocked when you realize just how much better lots of other regions of the country are this year outside of the mid-Atlantic. Maybe his ranking of St. Anselm's is a little off, but given the results that have been coming in this year it's certainly not an unreasonable ranking. I suspect a lot of people are going to succumb to the trap of assuming that a team that plays really well when you see them is automatically obviously top 15, 10, whatever, when really, there are tons of teams in other regions doing the same thing for their local observers.

Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Has State College won a high school quizbowl tournament this year?
Nick
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Nick wrote:Has State College won a high school quizbowl tournament this year?
No, the only HS tournament State College A has gone to was HFT, which they lost to LASA.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'd love to see some more responses on these polls.

I have an idea that may be explored once the PACE format is announced.
Fred Morlan
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Mr. Morlan, not that it's important, but I thought I should let you know that at our mirror of the Prison Bowl, Alpharetta was yet again without William, their best player. Just wanted to point this out in case you don't know of this when you put up a new set of rankings.
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org

commentary please

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

what
Fred Morlan