2011 PACE NSC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

2011 PACE NSC

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

PACE is pleased to announce that the 2011 NSC will be held at Northwestern University on June 4 and 5. Tournament directors Andrew Hart and Gautam Kandlikar will soon post with a list of some convenient nearby hotels. Also, please note that Northwestern is accessible from O'Hare Airport by both public transportation and fixed-fare taxi. In case of contingency, the nearby Loyola Academy has also been reserved as a backup site. Teams will be notified on or before March 15 in the unlikely event that the tournament will be held at Loyola instead of Northwestern.

We look forward to welcoming teams, coaches, and parents to NSC 2011.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: 2011 PACE NSC

Post by dtaylor4 »

The fee structure can be found here.

In short: they are the same as they were last year, save some date changes.

$500 per team
-$10 per buzzer
-$50 per experienced staffer
-$25 for qualifying at an affiliated tournament
-$50 for qualifying at a gold tournament
-$75 for qualifying at a platinum tournament
-$10 for hosting a gold tournament
-$20 for hosting a platinum tournament
-$25 for early payment (the date has been moved to March 1, 2011).
+$15 per day late fee. Due to May 1 being a Sunday, it will start on May 2, 2011.

If you have any questions, email me at (firstname)(lastname).[email protected].
Last edited by dtaylor4 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

If a team has qualified at a platinum tournament, it can officially register on December 1, 2010.
If a team has qualified at a gold tournament, it can officially register on January 1, 2011.
If a team has qualified at two or more affiliated tournaments, it can officially register on January 15, 2011.
If a team has qualified at one affiliated tournament, it can officially register on February 1, 2011.
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Please remember to check pace-nsc.org periodically over the coming months until the tournament for updates about which tournaments are serving as qualifiers and which teams have qualified.

If you'd like to check to see which tournaments are qualifiers (and which have been awarded gold or platinum status), please check this page.

If you'd like to check to see which teams have qualified for PACE, please check this page.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

I've been left off the list for qualified teams
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

SoLegit12 wrote:I've been left off the list for qualified teams
PACE Website wrote:The following teams have earned 1 bid to the 2011 NSC at a certified tournament:

[Teams]
“DDII”
[Teams]
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Inkana7 wrote:
SoLegit12 wrote:I've been left off the list for qualified teams
PACE Website wrote:The following teams have earned 1 bid to the 2011 NSC at a certified tournament:

[Teams]
“DDII”
[Teams]
This is being looked into.
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hello all,

I would like to remind teams that have qualified to the 2011 NSC through the Platinum-certified tournaments that you will be able to register for the NSC beginning December 1. These teams have already been notified of the early registration window. The team coaches will be provided a link to the registration forms via email.

More information on entry fees and registration can be found at the PACE website (www.pace-nsc.org)

If you have any questions, please email myself and Donald Taylor at [email protected] and [email protected] respectively.

Thank you,
Gautam Kandlikar
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

A list of teams that have qualified for this tournament can now be found here. This list reflects all teams qualifying at tournaments that have been officially certified, the most recent of which took place on 10/23/2010. It also notes their level of certification and thus the date at which they may begin to register for the NSC. The list of affiliated tournaments and qualified teams by state available on the PACE website will also be updated throughout the week. PACE apologizes for the delay in posting this information, and I will continue to add teams to this list as soon as more tournaments are certified. Thank you for your patience, and please feel free to let me know if I have made a mistake in transcribing the name of your team or tournament. I can be reached at sangelo147 AT gmail DOT com.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

MLWGS-Gir wrote:A list of teams that have qualified for this tournament can now be found here. This list reflects all teams qualifying at tournaments that have been officially certified, the most recent of which took place on 10/23/2010. It also notes their level of certification and thus the date at which they may begin to register for the NSC. The list of affiliated tournaments and qualified teams by state available on the PACE website will also be updated throughout the week. PACE apologizes for the delay in posting this information, and I will continue to add teams to this list as soon as more tournaments are certified. Thank you for your patience, and please feel free to let me know if I have made a mistake in transcribing the name of your team or tournament. I can be reached at sangelo147 AT gmail DOT com.
The aforementioned list is now updated through 11/20/2010. There are now 41 affiliated tournaments, so I appreciate your continued patience as I attempt to balance updating the teams by state and affiliated tournaments lists with finishing my semester.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

For teams who qualified at platinum tournaments, registration is now open.

The link to the registration form can be found here.

If you have any questions about registration, feel free to email me at donaldtaylor.pace at gmail.com.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

dtaylor4 wrote:For teams who qualified at platinum tournaments, registration is now open.

The link to the registration form can be found here.

If you have any questions about registration, feel free to email me at donaldtaylor.pace at gmail.com.
A list of registered teams is currently being maintained here.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The lists of affiliated tournaments, qualified teams, qualified teams by state, and registered teams have now all been updated.

Also, as I took charge of these four pages last Sunday, it is entirely possible that I have made transcription errors in my attempt to address the backlog as quickly as possible. If you notice an error or would prefer to have your team name listed differently (as a graduate of a high school whose students argue whether our full name is 10 words or 13, I understand), please feel free to let me know at sangelo147 AT gmail DOT com. I intend to have additions to the field updated within 24 hours of registration and the other three pages caught up within 48 hours of rulings by the certification committee. Thank you once again for your patience.
Sam L,
PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Are you not affiliating with Jefferson City's tournament?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

What about BOKCHOI?
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

quantumfootball wrote:What about BOKCHOI?
Or the Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament?
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Are you not affiliating with Jefferson City's tournament?
I received an email from George Berry indicating that my tournament was an affiliated event.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

nobthehobbit wrote:
As far as I am aware, neither of the TDs asked for affiliation, which is a mighty shame, as Lisgar is actually considering going to PACE NSC this year.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

All of the tournaments posted about in this recent discussion are being considered for the next round of certification voting.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:All of the tournaments posted about in this recent discussion are being considered for the next round of certification voting.
Is there a way the PACE certification committee could post minutes/tournaments for consideration for upcoming meetings? That would make things easier to see and add additions
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
As far as I am aware, neither of the TDs asked for affiliation, which is a mighty shame, as Lisgar is actually considering going to PACE NSC this year.
PACE changed their policy last year so that hosts have to opt-out of consideration. There is no need to ask now, so the OQT will get listed in due time (it did last year with no action on Ottawa's part).
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

bsmith wrote:
Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
PACE changed their policy last year so that hosts have to opt-out of consideration. There is no need to ask now, so the OQT will get listed in due time (it did last year with no action on Ottawa's part).
I guess I was under the mistaken impression that it still had to be requested by the TD. My bad. Anyways, a cursory glance at the "How to qualify for the 2011 PACE NSC" page on the PACE website: http://www.pace-nsc.org/?p=1005 was somewhat ambiguous on whether TDs had to request certification.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:PACE is pleased to announce that the 2011 NSC will be held at Northwestern University on June 4 and 5. Tournament directors Andrew Hart and Gautam Kandlikar will soon post with a list of some convenient nearby hotels.
I'm attempting to figure out how much this trip would cost our school/students, and such a list as was promised in August would be appreciated.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Is there any chance that PACE could organize a block of rooms at some nearby hotel and get some sort of group discount for them?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Speaking unofficially: we've found in the past that this has rendered less of a discount than teams would get from, say, Priceline, when considered from an "amount of effort put in" view. Also, there's issues in the past with attempts like that, such as Harvard's budget pretty much being murdered when hs teams didn't opt into the rooms at the hotel for HFT.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Also, there's issues in the past with attempts like that, such as Harvard's budget pretty much being murdered when hs teams didn't opt into the rooms at the hotel for HFT.
My recollection is that the Harvard near-disaster resulted from a "if they're not booked, booker pays" model of room-block reserving (whereas usually people go with the less punishing "if they're not booked by a certain date, often 3-4 weeks before the event, they're released and no discount for you" model). That said, I totally agree with Fred, for the other reasons he's mentioned, about the low utility of reserving blocks of rooms.

For teams that want to start looking into PACE accommodations, Northwestern's website has a list of walking-distance and other nearby hotels. Teams who will have a car may also want to consider staying out by O'Hare, where there are possibly better deals to be had.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

myamphigory wrote:
Also, there's issues in the past with attempts like that, such as Harvard's budget pretty much being murdered when hs teams didn't opt into the rooms at the hotel for HFT.
My recollection is that the Harvard near-disaster resulted from a "if they're not booked, booker pays" model of room-block reserving (whereas usually people go with the less punishing "if they're not booked by a certain date, often 3-4 weeks before the event, they're released and no discount for you" model). That said, I totally agree with Fred, for the other reasons he's mentioned, about the low utility of reserving blocks of rooms.
Yeah; for some reason one of the hotels involved in that group rate wasn't interested in the nice model. Conveniently, Craigslist saved us.
Andrew Watkins
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

It is true that motels in Evanston and the surrounding area are not cheap. There is a Motel 6 in Glenview, about a 30-40 min. drive to Northwestern, which may be your best bet.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

I fully endorse this hotel: http://www.hiskokie.com/

Why? They have a bollywood TV package. We spent 4 hours watching B4U and other channels watching hindi music videos. It's a 15 minute drive from NU.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

To the PACE Certification Committee:

I noticed that you do not have Cheshire listed as a PACE qualifier from Connecticut, but Cheshire finished 4th at Yale's FAcT on October 23rd, earning the 4th and final qualifying spot for FAcT. I am sure the TD from Yale---I think it is John Lawrence---can confirm this, and I am certain you would want to correct this oversight.

And a question if I might: Some of the best teams in the U.S. qualified at Harvard's Fall Tournament, surely a Platinum calibre tournament allowing its qualifiers immediate registration for the NSC, but since this version of the the HFT has not yet been officially certified, at least one, and perhaps more of those teams, including your defending Champion, are not yet eligible to register. Any idea when this will be rectified?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Edward Powers wrote:To the PACE Certification Committee:

I noticed that you do not have Cheshire listed as a PACE qualifier from Connecticut, but Cheshire finished 4th at Yale's FAcT on October 23rd, earning the 4th and final qualifying spot for FAcT. I am sure the TD from Yale---I think it is John Lawrence---can confirm this, and I am certain you would want to correct this oversight.

And a question if I might: Some of the best teams in the U.S. qualified at Harvard's Fall Tournament, surely a Platinum calibre tournament allowing its qualifiers immediate registration for the NSC, but since this version of the the HFT has not yet been officially certified, at least one, and perhaps more of those teams, including your defending Champion, are not yet eligible to register. Any idea when this will be rectified?
George was talking to me about a week ago about who the top eight were (which I figured out for him) so I imagine that if HFT hasn't been officially certified yet, it will be quite soon.
Andrew Watkins
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:To the PACE Certification Committee:

George was talking to me about a week ago about who the top eight were (which I figured out for him) so I imagine that if HFT hasn't been officially certified yet, it will be quite soon.
Isn't "prompt statistics" a requirement for certification? I remember some problems with stats at HFT
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Andy,

And who did you identify as the Top 8? I ask for reasons of which you should be aware. The Top 8 that you previously posted are not truly the Top 8. But I will leave this to you, since I told you I would not bother you anymore about this. Assuming that your HFT will receive Platinum status, what really matters now is that any team from the HFT which would normally already be eligible to register for NSC be allowed to do so ASAP if it wishes.

In a separate matter, I hope the certification committee will look into the Cheshire situation I mentioned in my earlier post.

Happy Holidays to all.

EDITED: For concision.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ

I have to ask, what's the point of having gold and platinum qualified teams get the chance to register early if PACE won't tell gold and platinum qualified teams who they are in time for those deadlines?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

PACE did a very good job of telling my team, GDS, when we could register after we qualified at a platinum tournament.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12

You know teams can't be told they've gotten platinum bids if PACE takes forever to award them platinum status, right?

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Teams that qualified at gold tournaments can now register for the 2011 PACE NSC.

If you have qualified, and I have not sent your team the link to the registration form, or if you have trouble registering, email me at donaldtaylor.pace at gmail.com.

Shortly after registering, I will follow up with an official invoice.
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

David Riley wrote:It is true that motels in Evanston and the surrounding area are not cheap. There is a Motel 6 in Glenview, about a 30-40 min. drive to Northwestern, which may be your best bet.
There are many hotels in the Gurnee area and other northern suburbs (~30-40 min. drive to Northwestern). Most of these hotels are right off I-94.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Those of you suggesting hotels a half-hour drive away, what are you suggesting for the dozens of teams that are flying in? Renting a car or taking a cab back and forth are going to add a lot of money to an already not-low cost.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

jonpin wrote:Those of you suggesting hotels a half-hour drive away, what are you suggesting for the dozens of teams that are flying in? Renting a car or taking a cab back and forth are going to add a lot of money to an already not-low cost.
Above, I posted a list of hotels within walking distance, so that's already out there. Since that's covered, it hardly seems weird that people are offering additional options for the (surely reasonably sized) contingent of people who will be driving.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

With the registration of Torrey Pines A and B, we're up to 31 teams!
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

PACE is very excited to announce that for this year's NSC, we will expand the field to 72 teams. This represents the all-time largest field size for the NSC. Thank you in advance to the teams for their interest and staffers for their commitment to helping the tournament grow.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:PACE is very excited to announce that for this year's NSC, we will expand the field to 72 teams. This represents the all-time largest field size for the NSC. Thank you in advance to the teams for their interest and staffers for their commitment to helping the tournament grow.
How will the playoff format change in light of this expansion?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:PACE is very excited to announce that for this year's NSC, we will expand the field to 72 teams. This represents the all-time largest field size for the NSC. Thank you in advance to the teams for their interest and staffers for their commitment to helping the tournament grow.
How will the playoff format change in light of this expansion?
If I were PACE people, I wouldn't waste any time thinking about format specifics yet. They may find themselves bumping to 80 before long.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

I just happened to notice the ASU mirror of Fall Novice from 11/20 isn't listed? I thought we had affiliation for that tournament.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Representatives from teams who have qualified at an affiliated tournament should have an email in their inbox from me.

If this is not the case, let me know.
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

So I've been told that HFT is an affiliated tournament, and teams have not yet been qualified simply because all the stats outside the winners bracket still aren't clear. Is it possible that State College could register anyway, since we are definitely one of the teams that qualified at HFT?
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

TheKingInYellow wrote:So I've been told that HFT is an affiliated tournament, and teams have not yet been qualified simply because all the stats outside the winners bracket still aren't clear. Is it possible that State College could register anyway, since we are definitely one of the teams that qualified at HFT?
HFT is platinum; the top eight (which I listed in the thread) should certainly be able to register.
Andrew Watkins
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

TheKingInYellow wrote:So I've been told that HFT is an affiliated tournament, and teams have not yet been qualified simply because all the stats outside the winners bracket still aren't clear. Is it possible that State College could register anyway, since we are definitely one of the teams that qualified at HFT?
I'm curious as to your source.
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Well we at State College would very much like to register, but upon our last check were not on the list of qualified teams, so we talked to George and Sarah about it at TIT
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015