Interest in Actual Online Scrimmages

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Cheynem
Sin

Interest in Actual Online Scrimmages

Post by Cheynem »

This is probably the wrong place for this, but I have no idea where to put it.

Okay, here's the thing. I think the IRC can be a neat place to learn about quizbowl and play packets, but it comes off as aesthetically frustrating sometimes, especially when there's a lot of people and you just get so many vulch buzzes and people potentially cheating, etcetera.

I have an idea for running like an online version of a quizbowl tennis court--this would be like a "better" version of Scobowl, which isn't at the mercy of a bot and doesn't feature ridiculous mem-bowl cheating. My comparison to a tennis court would be that people would make reservations as teams and then get a moderator to read a blind to all packet to them. The moderator would rule with an iron fist and stamp out all signs of cheating, mem bowl, stupidity, etcetera. The packet would be played with normal quizbowl rules (one buzz per team, score kept, bonuses for the team that gets it, etc.) as much as possible in an online setting. In this way, I think some satisfying online practices could be had for people who do not get a chance to practice in person very much or who want to play with/play against others.

I'd be willing to take the initiative for this project because I don't have a lot going on this summer. Until mid-July (July 15), I would be willing to moderate a number of matches if there are any interested parties, and from that point on, I could also do a few matches in the evening. Maybe this is a good idea, maybe it isn't. But if you would like to give it a try, e-mail me or post in this thread and maybe we can try to set up some times.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Re: Interest in Actual Online Scrimmages

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I thought of doing something similar to this for a while. One possibility is also that moderators could potentially write their own questions, although I admit that's ridiculously time-consuming.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Isaacbh wrote:I thought of doing something similar to this for a while. One possibility is also that moderators could potentially write their own questions, although I admit that's ridiculously time-consuming.
There's always the possibility of "freestyling" tossups...

In all seriousness, though, this sounds like a good idea that would work best in a separate channel dedicated to it.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

I would be interested in this.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There's probably plenty of material out there that we don't need to write our own stuff.

Let's start getting some open times down that work for people.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

All I'm doing today is a bit of grad school work, so if any groups wish to try it today, hit me up in this thread or in the IRC.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Cheynem wrote:All I'm doing today is a bit of grad school work, so if any groups wish to try it today, hit me up in this thread or in the IRC.
Hit.
Kay, Chicago.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If you can get a group together, I'll stake out #scrimmage in the IRC.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I'll join, and help in some capacity.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

It's now about 7 PM Central time and having returned home from grocery shopping/dinner, I can similarly host a few more scrimmage matches tonight in #scrimmage.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I doubt that quizbowlers are organized enough to sign up and show up on time in an orderly fashion, but if you set it up I'm sure you will find that every once in a while, two bands of 3-4 people will challenge each other. Perhaps to settle some bar-room style #quizbowl brawl over LaTeX or Chris Ray or some other recurrent topic of discussion.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Morraine Man wrote:I doubt that quizbowlers are organized enough to sign up and show up on time in an orderly fashion, but if you set it up I'm sure you will find that every once in a while, two bands of 3-4 people will challenge each other. Perhaps to settle some bar-room style #quizbowl brawl over LaTeX or Chris Ray or some other recurrent topic of discussion.
This idea worked pretty well today. There were at least six to eight people there for the games I was there for, and there weren't any obvious problems.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Is there any way people could use ventrilo for this instead of the IRC?
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

May I suggest Skype instead of IRC? It's about as close to real quizbowl as an online game can get, as it relies on auditory, not reading, skills.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Skype might be worth experimenting with sometime--my initial guess would be that it would be really difficult to tell who buzzed first if EVERYONE was skyping from a different place. But Team 1 skyping against Team 2 (i.e., all members of each team are in the same room) should be okay. I'll leave it to someone else to orchestrate that.

EDIT: Let's celebrate America's birthday with some matches later.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Cheynem wrote:Skype might be worth experimenting with sometime--my initial guess would be that it would be really difficult to tell who buzzed first if EVERYONE was skyping from a different place. But Team 1 skyping against Team 2 (i.e., all members of each team are in the same room) should be okay. I'll leave it to someone else to orchestrate that.
I've done plenty of Skype practices before (Ohio's All-Star team used it). When this happens, we usually refer to whoever is reading to see who buzzes in first. It might slightly disadvantage those with slower internet and all that, but that's not much different from an IRC.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

I think it's easiest for skype practices if you just have the reader use skype and have everyone else buzz and give their answers in a messenging client of your choice. That way people don't even need microphones to do it.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Yeah, I would be interested in doing this.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There were some suspicions of cheating in last night's scrimmage, which is regretful. While I do not want to jump to conclusions, I will again warn all players that it is stupid, dishonest, and pathetic to cheat anywhere, especially an online game. In future games I moderate, I will not hesitate in handing out temp-bans (banned from a game or for the evening) if there is reasonable suspicion.

Also, we played online quizbowl baseball yesterday and I found it fun, so we should do that again.

EDIT: Online quizbowl baseball proved to be awesome. It should be done as much as possible.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Cheynem wrote:Also, we played online quizbowl baseball yesterday and I found it fun, so we should do that again.

EDIT: Online quizbowl baseball proved to be awesome. It should be done as much as possible.
More people should join in on the format-oddity fun. I have been keeping baseball-like stats for games, too, although no defensive stats for the closers like Trygve.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As the self-declared generalissimo of quizbowl baseball, I'm strongly pushing for some game (s) to be played tonight as well.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If I'm home, I'd be more than happy to be some team's "oh man we had to call someone up from AAA but that team was ravaged with food poisoning welp here you go" #9 hitter.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

The Granny wrote:If I'm home, I'd be more than happy to be some team's "oh man we had to call someone up from AAA but that team was ravaged with food poisoning welp here you go" #9 hitter.

this has given me the idea to see like a summer rec league type deal with like a 4-6 team league playing in #scrimmage or if really necessary (hint it probably isnt) #qbbaseball.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hey, we'd like to get a quizbowl baseball game going in the next few hours or so--please drop by #scrimmage if you're interested. It's pretty fun, everyone gets a chance to do something, and you don't have to be active at all times.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm moving back home for a month this week so my appearances in #scrimmage will be far more limited for a while. I'm sure other people can pick up the ball. Let me just stress yet again that it is really, really stupid to cheat in an online setting. You may think you're impressing players with your knowledge, but here's the deal: people don't drastically change their knowledge base and overall talent from what they do at real tournaments to what happens online. I don't want to accuse some people, but if some people put up as good numbers in #scrimmage as they did in real life, they'd be winning ACF Nats solo. Consider it a fair warning.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota