"How to Host a Successful Tournament" Workshop @ HSNCT 2018

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cchiego
Yuna

"How to Host a Successful Tournament" Workshop @ HSNCT 2018

Post by cchiego »

I am pleased to announce a "How to Host a Successful Tournament" workshop at HSNCT.

The event is tentatively scheduled to take place in Imperial Ballroom A of the Marriott at 8:30 PM on Saturday, May 26th. The workshop is free and open to anyone interested in hosting a successful quizbowl tournament, from players to coaches to interested well-wishers who want to improve their home circuits.

The first part of the workshop will be an overview of the various stages of pre-tournament preparation from picking a date, securing a venue and question set, training readers, making schedules, and preparing for contingencies. The second part will discuss all the issues that could pop up on the date of the tournament and how you can prepare to deal with them in advance, illustrated with some of the things that I've seen in 12 years of running and reading at tournaments across 4 different circuits. We'll conclude with an open forum for people to ask questions and offer their own tips for a successful tournament. I expect the presentation part to last about 30-35 minutes and then the Q and A part another 25 minutes (we'll be done by 9:30 PM).

Some suggested reading in advance (some of my talk will be drawn from these existing documents, but I'll also expand and illustrate certain parts):
The Berkeley TD Guide
SoCalQB Tournament Hosting Guide
Common Tournament-Directing Mistakes

Please feel free to get in touch with me in advance or post in this thread if there are any specific questions or situations not mentioned in these guides that people would like to see addressed. Many thanks to NAQT for allowing the use of the space for this workshop!
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
AGoodMan
Rikku

Re: "How to Host a Successful Tournament" Workshop @ HSNCT 2

Post by AGoodMan »

Can this be recorded in some way, shape, or form?
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

AGoodMan wrote:Can this be recorded in some way, shape, or form?
I second this suggestion
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

I will bring my 1080p webcam and record it from at least one angle; if people who are more experienced with audiovisual stuff would like to bring a device to record (I have been told we will not have access to the room's AV equipment for understandable reasons), I'm happy to outsource it to them. If someone has a high-quality mic and an understanding of how to hook it up to a laptop, I'd love to use it as well.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

This happened, but had to be held outside the planned room in the lobby instead so there wasn't an opportunity for video. Some excellent discussion and detailed historical examples of what not to do when hosting ensued.

I'm attaching a copy of the handout that we went over to this thread for anyone to take a look at. Feel free to use it for your own tournament staff, but please clearly attribute it to the source.
Attachments
Quizbowl Hosting Handout (3).pdf
(66 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Chris C.