Qualification changes for the 2018 SSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Qualification changes for the 2018 SSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area »

As of the 2017–2018 competition year, NAQT has changed its definition of small schools.

The division formerly known as the "Charter and Private" division will now be the "Open" division and will use this definition of small schools:
naqt.com wrote:The Open division is open to any school that meets all of these criteria:

It is not a traditional public school (as defined above), nor a homeschool or homeschool collective.
It offers at least one grade between 9 and 12, inclusive.
It has 350 or fewer students across its top three grades, up to 12. (This does not mean that only students in those grades are eligible to play, just that NAQT only counts students in those grades toward the school’s enrollment.)
In addition, we have made some minor changes to our methods for calculating enrollment values.

Full details

We expect to announce full details for the 2018 SSNCT and open registration next week.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
tksaleija
Wakka

Re: Qualification changes for the 2018 SSNCT

Post by tksaleija »

This us amazing and opens it up to more schools for sure. I'm really glad that NAQT has opened up the definition to include schools like early/middle colleges.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

I read over the criteria pretty carefully--and it looks like you guys thought about this and tried to be fair, so thank you. But I still can't tell if LVA is eligible to play in the Traditional Public division.

The only clause that would prevent us is the one about an eligible charter school having to be "the default school for a school district." However, you added a clarification that makes this less rigid: "That is, students are entitled to attend the school by virtue of living in a specific district, and they cannot be turned down."

Students from Bethlehem and Saucon Valley schools districts, the resident districts of Lehigh Valley Academy, are never turned down but if there are no openings in a given grade, they may have to enter a lottery. According to LVA's policy:

"Students are enrolled or are placed on the waiting list in the following order:
1. Siblings of students who are currently enrolled at LVA and who live at the same address as the
LVA sibling in Bethlehem Area or Saucon Valley School Districts receive first preference If there
are more siblings than openings at a grade level, a sibling lottery takes place.
2. Siblings of students currently enrolled who resided in other districts receive second preference.
3. Students from Bethlehem Area School District and Saucon Valley School District (LVA's Chartering
Districts)."

So... do we meet the 2017-18 criteria?
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Antrobus63 wrote:I read over the criteria pretty carefully--and it looks like you guys thought about this and tried to be fair, so thank you. But I still can't tell if LVA is eligible to play in the Traditional Public division.

The only clause that would prevent us is the one about an eligible charter school having to be "the default school for a school district." However, you added a clarification that makes this less rigid: "That is, students are entitled to attend the school by virtue of living in a specific district, and they cannot be turned down."

Students from Bethlehem and Saucon Valley schools districts, the resident districts of Lehigh Valley Academy, are never turned down but if there are no openings in a given grade, they may have to enter a lottery. According to LVA's policy:

"Students are enrolled or are placed on the waiting list in the following order:
1. Siblings of students who are currently enrolled at LVA and who live at the same address as the
LVA sibling in Bethlehem Area or Saucon Valley School Districts receive first preference If there
are more siblings than openings at a grade level, a sibling lottery takes place.
2. Siblings of students currently enrolled who resided in other districts receive second preference.
3. Students from Bethlehem Area School District and Saucon Valley School District (LVA's Chartering
Districts)."

So... do we meet the 2017-18 criteria?
Lehigh Valley Academy is not eligible to play in the Traditional Public division of the SSNCT. (Note the "[students] cannot be turned down" and "[the school] does not limit its enrollment, but is required to accept as many students as want to attend" sections: these mean that any school with a lottery or a waiting list is ineligible for Traditional Public.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred