2017 HSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: 2017 HSNCT discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

Bride by Mistake wrote:
NAQT Correctness Guidelines wrote:D.5: In the case of questions that specifically ask for a shared first or last name by giving clues about different people who have borne it, the full name of any referenced person will be acceptable (even if the people are relatives). Note that this does not apply to questions asking for a specific person, even if the last name is the only part of the answer that is required.
Is this still the case? A teammate was given a neg for "Ichabod Crane" for the Ichabod tossup in round 19.
This question reads as follows:
2017 HSNCT round 19 wrote:This is the title of a poem by John Greenleaf Whittier that states "when faith is lost, when honor dies, / the man is dead," and which attacks Daniel Webster for supporting the Fugitive Slave Law. This is also the first name of a character who courts the daughter of Baltus (*) Van Tassel, to the dismay of Brom Bones. For 10 points—give this first name of the schoolmaster in Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"?

answer: Ichabod (do not accept or prompt on "Ichabod Crane")
so correctness guideline C.4 is the controlling one:
Titles of works must be exact, except that leading articles may be omitted...
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
swimmerstar
Lulu

Post by swimmerstar »

Can I see the tossups on Death of a Salesman and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?
Fred Zhang
Longfellow Middle School 2015
TJHSST 2019
Yale 2023
The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island
Rikku

Post by The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island »

Important Bird Area wrote:
2017 HSNCT round 15 wrote:Using this theorem speeds up the RSA encryption algorithm by about a factor of 4. All the moduli must be pairwise relatively prime to use this theorem, which is often combined with Euclid's algorithm. This theorem is often explained in terms of soldiers (*) left over when splitting a regiment into different-sized groups. For 10 points—identify this theorem for solving systems of modular congruences, named after a country.

answer: Chinese remainder theorem (prompt on "CRT")
Ah, I definitely misremembered it then. Thank you!
Important Bird Area

2017 HSNCT round 12 wrote:A boy in this play remarks on his own weight loss as he lies on his back, pedaling his feet in the air. This play's protagonist responds to his nephew's warning about the teacher Mr. Birnbaum by saying "don't be a pest, Bernard." After (*) flunking math, the son of this play's protagonist travels to Boston. Biff discovers his father's infidelity in—for 10 points—what Arthur Miller play about the last days of Willy Loman?

answer: Death of a Salesman [The first sentence refers to Happy Loman.]
2017 HSNCT round 24 wrote:A character in this play says that the scheming Reverend Tooker is "all hawk and no spit." This play climaxes as a former football player, who drinks until he hears a "click," says that his father's (*) cancer is not in remission. The 65th birthday of a dying cotton planter is the setting of—for 10 points—what play by Tennessee Williams that compares Brick Pollitt's wife, Maggie, to the title feline?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
raginbulls
Kimahri

Post by raginbulls »

Can I take a look at the Third of May, 1808 and the Thomas Cole tossups?
Frank Cai
Andover High School, "Kentucky Freud Chicken" '18
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

2017 HSNCT round 9 wrote:This artist painted a headless statue holding a chipped shield and overlooking the harbor of a burning city in Destruction, the fourth work in a five-painting series that begins with The Savage State. A dark thunderstorm is shown approaching the title (*) bend in the Connecticut River in this artist's painting The Oxbow. For 10 points—name this painter of The Course of Empire, a leader of the Hudson River School.

answer: Thomas Cole
2017 HSNCT round 17 wrote:Robert Hughes wrote that this painting has the character of an altarpiece dedicated "to the religion of patriotism." This painting inspired five Édouard Manet works showing Emperor Maximilian in a haze of smoke. A box-shaped (*) lantern illuminates its central scene, in which a man wearing a white shirt raises his arms. For 10 points—name this Francisco Goya painting of men being executed on the title date.

answer: The Third of May 1808 (or The Shootings of May 3, 1808 or El tres de mayo de 1808 en Madrid or Los fusilamientos de la montaña del Príncipe Pío or Los fusilamientos del tres de mayo; prompt on "(The) Third of May")
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
RicardoDA
Lulu

Post by RicardoDA »

Can I have a look at the gypsies tossup?
David Arena
Lexington '19
Harvard '24
rhegde
Kimahri

Post by rhegde »

Could I see the Minnesota question from the third round of the playoffs?
Rohan Hegde
Thomas Jefferson '18
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Can I see the tossup on HMS Pinafore? I'm curious to see if I missed a clue in there about "For He Is an Englishman", which, as we all know, is from HMS Pinafore, and not from The Pirates of Penzance, Lionel.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Your Feline Genome wrote:Can I see the tossup on HMS Pinafore? I'm curious to see if I missed a clue in there about "For He Is an Englishman", which, as we all know, is from HMS Pinafore, and not from The Pirates of Penzance, Lionel.
2017 HSNCT round 9 wrote:One character in this work declares that "love levels all ranks" while trying to persuade a woman to marry him. At the end of this work, the revelation that two children were accidentally "mixed up" allows Captain Corcoran to marry Little (*) Buttercup. Sir Joseph Porter describes how he became "the Ruler of the Queen's Navy" in—for 10 points—what Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera that takes place aboard the title ship?

answer: H.M.S. Pinafore(; or, The Lass that Loved a Sailor) (prompt on "Pinafore")
Jonah Greenthal
akpa
Kimahri

Post by akpa »

Could I see the conversion on the "Fyre Festival" tossup?
Akaash Para

Northview '19
iambadatnames
Kimahri

Post by iambadatnames »

Regardless of having seen both shows (and The West Wing) I managed to neg Pinafore with Penzance.
Charlie Cutting
UHigh '17
Brown '21 (probably)

"So like, he set the precedent of lameducktitude?"
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Can I see the tossup on Mimir?
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

akpa wrote:Could I see the conversion on the "Fyre Festival" tossup?
Conversion data probably won't be available for a couple of months.
Your Feline Genome wrote:Can I see the tossup on Mimir?
2017 HSNCT round 9 wrote:This Norse god's fate is reminiscent of the seven-year stay in Harlech of the Welsh hero Bran the Blessed. This god tries to help a stupid companion, but is nearly destroyed after he goes to Vanaheim with Hoenir as a hostage. One of (*) Yggdrasil's three roots covers this god's dwelling-place by a well of knowledge. For 10 points—name this Norse god whose severed head continues to offer wise counsel to Odin.
answer: Mímir (or Mim; accept Mímir's Well or Mímisbrunnr)
Jonah Greenthal
Important Bird Area

2017 HSNCT round 5 wrote:The Boyash, a subgroup of these people, are historically known for spoon-making. A blue-and-green flag designed in 1933 to represent these people displays a red spoked wheel. In Nazi concentration camps, these people at first wore black triangle badges to signify they were "work-shy," but later wore the (*) brown triangle. For 10 points—name this oft-persecuted ethnic group with a traditionally nomadic culture.

answer: Roma or Romani (or Romany; accept gypsy or gypsies)
2017 HSNCT round 19 wrote:A rabbi who lives in this state tells a story about Hebrew letters inscribed on a "goy's" teeth in the film A Serious Man. The screenwriter Diablo Cody used this state as the setting for her films Young Adult and (*) Juno. This state is the primary but not the title setting of a 1996 Coen Brothers film in which a corpse is placed in a wood chipper. For 10 points—North Dakota and what other state are the settings of Fargo?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I might suggest that fourth place deserves a larger trophy than the rest of the top 8. I understand that under this year's format, if the 1-card loses in the first post-lunch round, there is a 6-7-8 and then 4th and 5th get knocked out together, but I could say that 4th place would be played off in that case (since the current format already has on many occasions a 3rd place playoff between two teams already eliminated).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

For those that care, the HSNCT aPPB adjustment is +4.67. The two closest sets are BHSAT (+3.47) and EMT (+6.08).
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

AKKOLADE wrote:For those that care, the HSNCT aPPB adjustment is +4.67. The two closest sets are BHSAT (+3.47) and EMT (+6.08).
Is there a list of all of the adjustments available?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
johnc
Lulu

Post by johnc »

Can I see the tossups on Penny Lane and Ghana? And, if they're available, the conversion stats? Thanks.
Edit: just read above that conversion stats won't be available for a bit. Disregard that.
John Crawford
St. Mark's School of Texas
Georgetown University
Important Bird Area

2017 HSNCT round 9 wrote:This song's video shows red-coated band members riding horses in an alley. This song mentions a "clean machine" before David Mason's piccolo trumpet solo, and describes a "pretty nurse selling poppies from a tray" and a "fireman with an hourglass" in the title place, which the singer imagines (*) "beneath the blue suburban skies" and "in my ears and in my eyes." For 10 points—name this Beatles song about a street in Liverpool.
2017 HSNCT round 4 wrote:This country's city of Sunyani is a hub for its cocoa industry, which has long been controlled by a state-run cocoa marketing board. Before declaring independence from Britain in 1957, this African country was named after a (*) precious metal mined there. Its Akosombo Dam formed the world's largest artificial lake, Lake Volta. Gold Coast was the former name of—for 10 points—what West African country governed from Accra?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

DeepakM
Lulu

Post by DeepakM »

Can I see the tossup on prions?
Deepak Moparthi
Stevenson High School '18
Important Bird Area

2017 HSNCT round 25 wrote:A mutation affecting one of these compounds damages the thalamus to cause insomnia and dementia. These compounds produce daisy-shaped "florid" plaques in the brain in the "variant" form of one disease. Another disease caused by these compounds is spread by cannibalism. Transmissible (*) spongiform encephalopathies such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and kuru are caused by—for 10 points—what infectious, misfolded proteins?

answer: prions (prompt on "(misfolded) protein(s)" or "(misfolded) (poly)peptide(s)")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

The_Impaler_
Lulu

Post by The_Impaler_ »

Can I please see the toss-up about pineapple on pizza?

Thanks.
Blake Andert
Burnsville High School '17
University of Minnesota '21

#2 Poster
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

akpa wrote:Could I see the conversion on the "Fyre Festival" tossup?
11-11-2 in 25 rooms, so 88% conversion, 44% power, 10.6 points/room
johnc wrote:Can I see the tossups on Penny Lane and Ghana? And, if they're available, the conversion stats? Thanks.
Penny Lane: 27-41-13 in 96 rooms (71%/28%/7.8)
Ghana: 15-76-8 in 94 rooms (97%/16%/10.1)

Any other tossups whose conversion information people want to see? Bonus conversion data isn't available yet (and might not be for a while).
Jonah Greenthal
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Any chance we could hear which questions were the least converted? I'd also like to see conversion on Chinese Remainder Theorem and Titus Andronicus.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Important Bird Area

Titus Andronicus: 3/9/4 in 12 rooms.

Chinese remainder theorem: 16/25/23 in 91 rooms.

Heard in at least 70 rooms and under 50% conversion:

Satyricon (lowest conversion rate, 26.04%)
John Paul Stevens (second-lowest, 30.21)
Eliot Ness
Niels Henrik Abel
Battle of Leipzig
Chinese remainder theorem
Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres
Pieter Brueghel the Elder
Alfred Russel Wallace
Ruth Benedict

(I think it's genuinely surprising that Eliot Ness had the third-worst conversion in the whole tournament; the giveaway was about what one would expect:)
HSNCT round 1 wrote:[hard clues] ... was appointed in the 1920s to (*) enforce Treasury Department regulations against bootleggers in Chicago. For 10 points--name this leader of anti-Mafia agents called "The Untouchables."
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Ness actually isn't terribly easy -- I had absolutely no idea who he was and I like to think I know history. Can I see the tossups on Brueghel and Benedict? Not surprised about the others on the list.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Important Bird Area

2017 HSNCT round 16 wrote:This artist painted a knight near a wheel of cheese, and three people sleeping under a table-tree, in The Land of Cockaigne. In another work he showed several upside-down globes and a tart-covered roof as illustrations of the title (*) sayings. In a third work by this artist, two legs poke out of the water near a ship. For 10 points—name this Flemish painter of Netherlandish Proverbs and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus.

answer: Pieter Bruegel the Elder (or Peter Brueghel the Elder; accept Peasant Bruegel)
2017 HSNCT round 7 wrote:This author collected stories of the heroes Arrow Boy and Corncob Boy in Tales of the Cochiti Indians. This thinker drew on Reo Fortune's work in describing how suspicion runs to "paranoid lengths" in the Dobu people, and similarly ascribed "megalomaniac paranoid" tendencies to the (*) Kwakiutl based on the work of her mentor Franz Boas. For 10 points—name this American anthropologist who wrote Patterns of Culture.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

Can I see the tossups on The Moonstone and Persian Letters, as well as the conversion for both?
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org
Important Bird Area

Couch's Kingbird wrote:Can I see the tossups on The Moonstone and Persian Letters, as well as the conversion for both?
2017 HSNCT round 17 wrote:In this novel, the servant Rosanna kills herself by jumping into quicksand. The doctor Ezra Jennings tests a theory by feeding Franklin opium and observing him sleepwalk in this epistolary novel. This novel reveals that three (*) Indian entertainers murdered Godfrey Ablewhite, who had stolen the title Indian diamond. For 10 points—name this pioneering detective novel by Wilkie Collins.
0/21/2 in 39 rooms.
2017 HSNCT round 21 wrote:One of this book's narrators argues against excessive self-interest by describing how a plague killed the ungenerous members of a tribe called the Troglodytes. At the start of this book, a eunuch is placed in charge of a seraglio containing the wives of the nobleman Usbek, who leaves Isfahan and travels (*) west to observe French society under Louis XIV. For 10 points—name this epistolary work by Charles de Montesquieu.
1/8/6 in 12 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

johnc
Lulu

Post by johnc »

Can I see the conversion rates on Kenneth Arrow, Acapulco, and Croatia? Thanks.
John Crawford
Georgetown University
Important Bird Area

Arrow: 3/26/12 in 32 rooms

Acapulco: 16/14/23 in 68 rooms

Croatia: 73/13/7 in 91 rooms

(that seems to have been too easy too fast:)
2017 HSNCT round 15 wrote:This country contains the fertile inland region Slavonia. This country's 500-kuna banknote bears a picture of Diocletian's Palace, which is in this country's town of Split. The maritime Republic of Ragusa was once centered at its walled port city of (*) Dubrovnik on the Adriatic. The historical coastal region of Dalmatia is now part of—for 10 points—what former Yugoslav republic whose capital is Zagreb?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

johnc
Lulu

Post by johnc »

Dang, I felt special having visited Diocletian's Palace. I feel like Dubrovnik is probably a more difficult clue than Ragusa, considering Ragusa's history with Venice and whatnot. Maybe that's just my Civ knowledge leaking.
John Crawford
Georgetown University
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

johnc wrote:Dang, I felt special having visited Diocletian's Palace. I feel like Dubrovnik is probably a more difficult clue than Ragusa, considering Ragusa's history with Venice and whatnot. Maybe that's just my Civ knowledge leaking.
U ever hear of this game of thrones show
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

What was the conversion for the Mir question?

Some math bonuses seemed like 0 or 30 bonuses. The most egregious example was the one that asked for the second derivatives of three expressions. That's an easy 30 for anyone with calculus knowledge, 0 for those without.

What is the intended difficulty of this tournament in relation to D2 ICT and SCT?
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Important Bird Area

Aaron Manby (ironmaster) wrote:What was the conversion for the Mir question?
0/10/11 in 12 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Aaron Manby (ironmaster) wrote:Some math bonuses seemed like 0 or 30 bonuses. The most egregious example was the one that asked for the second derivatives of three expressions. That's an easy 30 for anyone with calculus knowledge, 0 for those without.
Is this intended to refer to computational math (into which the second-derivatives bonus fell), non-computational math, or both?

The second-derivatives bonus was thus:
2017 HSNCT packet 17 wrote:Pencil and paper ready. For 10 points each—compute the second derivatives, with respect to x, of these expressions:

A. y equals the cosine [KOH-"sign"] of x

answer: d²y/dx² = –cos(x)(or –1 cos(x); do accept or prompt on "cos(–x)")

B. y equals x raised to the 10th power

answer: d²y/dx² = 90x^8

C. y equals e raised to the 2x power; you have 10 seconds

answer: d²y/dx² = 4e^(2x)
While we don't have full bonus conversion data yet, I was able to spot-check this one. 38 rooms; 33 30s; one 0; three rooms got B and C only; one room got A and B only. So, yeah, it was too easy and didn't have the right distribution of easy/medium/hard.
Aaron Manby (ironmaster) wrote:What is the intended difficulty of this tournament in relation to D2 ICT and SCT?
Between.
Jonah Greenthal
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I thought this set was good but I'd like to ask to see a few tossups. I negged the torque tossup at the integral clue so I'd like that one. I also want to see the "one" philosophy tossup if at all possible.

What the conversion data for "Horace Walpole", "Vargas Llosa", and "Milton"? These were all lit I got near the end and wondering what the power rates on them were.

Thanks.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Important Bird Area

Progcon wrote:I thought this set was good but I'd like to ask to see a few tossups. I negged the torque tossup at the integral clue so I'd like that one. I also want to see the "one" philosophy tossup if at all possible.
2017 HSNCT round 13 wrote:A nonzero value for this quantity acting on a suspended capacitor was searched for—but not found—in the Trouton-Noble experiment. Work can be expressed as the integral of this quantity with respect to an infinitesimal angle. This quantity is often written as (*) I times alpha and, like energy, is measured in newton-meters. The time derivative of angular momentum is—for 10 points—what rotational analogue of force?

answer: torque [tork] (or moment of force; do not accept or prompt on "moment" or "force")
2017 HSNCT round 6 wrote:This number represents the source of "emanations" in the Neoplatonist philosophy of Plotinus. Unlike Immanuel Kant, Arthur Schopenhauer believed exactly this many things-in-themselves existed in the imperceptible noumenon. According to Baruch Spinoza's Ethics, (*) infinite attributes exist, but only this many substances in the universe. For 10 points—how many separate things exist in a monist universe or in a monad?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Progcon wrote:What the conversion data for "Horace Walpole", "Vargas Llosa", and "Milton"?

Walpole: 0/7/1 in 7 rooms

Vargas Llosa: 7/47/20 in 95 rooms

Milton: 5/15/2 in 20 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rather Wild Indeed
Lulu

Post by Rather Wild Indeed »

What was the conversion on the Peron tossup in the second playoff round? I feel like every team that made it that far should have powered that one.
Rishik Hombal
Hoover HS 2014-18
Important Bird Area

Toystory (bull) wrote:What was the conversion on the Peron tossup in the second playoff round? I feel like every team that made it that far should have powered that one.
2017 HSNCT round 18 wrote:This man's supporters were killed in the Ezeiza Massacre, which occurred after he returned from a 17-year exile. Hector Campora resigned from the presidency to allow this man to return for his third term. (*) Descamisados once protested the imprisonment of this man, who was succeeded as president by his third wife, Isabel Martinez. For 10 points—name this leader of Argentina who was married to the actress Eva Duarte.
32/16/3 in 48 rooms (a high power rate, but not universal)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rather Wild Indeed
Lulu

Post by Rather Wild Indeed »

If you don't mind me asking, what was the most powered and most negged question?
Rishik Hombal
Hoover HS 2014-18
Important Bird Area

Toystory (bull) wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what was the most powered and most negged question?
(minimum 70 game rooms)

Most powered:
2017 HSNCT round 14 wrote:For any two angles x and y, the tangent of x plus y equals tan x plus tan y, all over this number minus tan x tan y. The cosine of 2x always equals this number minus 2 cosine squared x. This number is the limit, as x approaches 0, of sine x over x. Sine (*) squared x plus cosine squared x always equals this number according to a Pythagorean identity. For 10 points—what number of radians equals about 57 degrees?

answer: 1
Most negged:
2017 HSNCT round 9 wrote:During this battle, British Captain Richard Bogue was killed commanding a battery of Congreve rockets. On its final day, Jozef Poniatowski drowned after a bridge was blown up prematurely. During this battle, (*) Saxon troops left the Grande Armee, and joined a coalition that included Prussian general Gebhard von Blucher. For 10 points—the "Battle of the Nations" was what 1813 clash that led to Napoleon's exile on Elba?

answer: Battle of Leipzig (prompt on "(Battle of the) Nations" before "Nations")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

benmillerbenmiller
Lulu

Post by benmillerbenmiller »

Jeff,

Thanks for being so responsive to these inquiries. Could you post this sort of information about all questions in the set in a spreadsheet or table? I'm interested in the conversion disparities between different topics and subject areas. If you have and are willing to share that data, I would love to take a look at it!
Ben Miller
Blair '18 | UChicago '22
NAQT Editor, ACF Member
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

benmillerbenmiller wrote:Could you post this sort of information about all questions in the set in a spreadsheet or table? I'm interested in the conversion disparities between different topics and subject areas.
We won't be posting the data from each question, but at some point I may take a stab at conversion rates by category.
Jonah Greenthal
bolshevik
Lulu

Post by bolshevik »

Can I see the Pride's Purge tossup?
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023
Important Bird Area

2017 HSNCT round 23 wrote:This event targeted those who believed in further negotiation on the basis of the Treaty of Newport. Nathaniel Rich's regiment of horse occupied Palace Yard during this event, which favored supporters of the Vote of No Addresses. 45 men were arrested on (*) Parliament's steps during this sole military coup in English history. The Rump Parliament was created by—for 10 points—what 1648 "purge"?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Father Comstock
Lulu

Post by Father Comstock »

2017 HSNCT round 23 wrote:This event targeted those who believed in further negotiation on the basis of the Treaty of Newport. Nathaniel Rich's regiment of horse occupied Palace Yard during this event, which favored supporters of the Vote of No Addresses. 45 men were arrested on (*) Parliament's steps during this sole military coup in English history. The Rump Parliament was created by—for 10 points—what 1648 "purge"?
Can I see conversion data on this?
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
Important Bird Area

Father Comstock wrote:
Can I see conversion data on this?
0/3/2 in four rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF