SSNCT 2017 Qualifying

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

SSNCT 2017 Qualifying

Post by LaurenJernstadt »

I have a question as to qualifying for the Small School National Championship Tournament 2017 sponsored by NAQT. My team competes in many quiz bowl matches and tournaments throughout the year and were able to qualify for the SSNCT 2016 on a wildcard bid for our impressive performance throughout the season. However, we only competed in one tournament which used NAQT questions and lost our first match resulting in our elimination. We have not been invited back to that tournament this year due to not being drawn for one of fourty-eight spots out of a pool of eighty. Our regular season matches are straight tossup with correct answers being worth one point, and we compete in toss-up bonus style tournaments of varying formats, but none of the questions for those tournaments, to my knowledge at least, are not provided by the NAQT.

I guess my main question is whether or not you have to compete in at least one NAQT sponsored tournament during the season if we are to qualify for a wildcard bid to SSNCT? The tournament was a lot of fun for me and my teammates, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to compete at the national level because we did not compete at the tournaments we needed to compete at.

Thank you!
Lauren Jernstadt
Fulton High School Varsity Captain
2016-2017 Quiz Bowl Season
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: SSNCT 2017 Qualifying

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the forums!

There is no minimum-gameplay requirement for NAQT wildcard applications. You are welcome and encouraged to send us a wildcard bid, even if your team's entire regular-season schedule consists of non-NAQT tournaments.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Lauren, I'm curious about where you are located. A tournament format where losing one match results in immediate elimination is pretty uncommon. I'd be very interested to help you identify some possible alternative events to enter, or ways to help advocate for a format that allows you more games.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

This event is Quiz Central, the Michigan TV show.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:This event is Quiz Central, the Michigan TV show.
Ah, got it.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Post by LaurenJernstadt »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:Welcome to the forums!

There is no minimum-gameplay requirement for NAQT wildcard applications. You are welcome and encouraged to send us a wildcard bid, even if your team's entire regular-season schedule consists of non-NAQT tournaments.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure if there were any requirements dealing with NAQT sponsored tournaments. Our team loved competing at the National level, and I wanted to make sure that we hit all the right marks again so that we can make the trip down to Chicago next April!
Lauren Jernstadt
Fulton High School Varsity Captain
2016-2017 Quiz Bowl Season