The National History Bee and Bowl is delighted to confirm that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt will be providing $10,000 worth of cash and in-kind prizes at our high school National Championships this April. We are truly indebted to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for their generosity which will help provide deserved recognition for the pinnacle of achievement at our National Championships. The prizes will likely be broken down as follows:
National History Bowl
1. Varsity Champion - $2000 per team
2. Varsity Runner Up - $1000 per team
3. Varsity Semifinalists - $500 per team
3. JV Champion - $1000 per team
4. JV Runner Up - $500 per team
5. Middle School Champion - $500 per team
6. Small School Champion - $500 per team
National History Bee
1. Varsity Champion - $2000 towards expenses to attend the European Championships in Grasse, France (this is a picturesque town in Provence surrounded by lavender fields and home to the Fragonard birthplace and museum) on June 2-3. If unable to attend, winner will forfeit prize in favor of the Runner Up prize.
2. 3 Varsity Runners Up - $250 cash
3. JV Champion - $500 cash
4. 1 JV Runner Up - $250 cash prize
In addition, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt will also generously be providing book prizes for some of the top students; we are unsure at this time though of how many recipients of book prizes there will be. Finally, there will also be prizes on hand for The National Sports History Bee and The National Entertainment History Bee on Friday evening 4/27, and also at the Hooray for History pub quiz at Dumbarton House in Washington, DC on Thursday evening 4/26. These will be specified at a later date.
We are truly honored to have such a supportive sponsor, and, not that we think you need it, but if you were considering whether to make the trip to NHBB Nationals or to study extra hard for it, we hope this may be the spark you needed.
Alia iacta est!
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad