TUPAC (Auditory Pop Music Tournament)

Old college threads.
ahuff
Lulu

TUPAC (Auditory Pop Music Tournament)

Post by ahuff »

I am excited to announced TUPAC (Tournament Uncovering Players' Auditory Cognizance). This tournament will be 6-8 packets of 20 pyramidal pop music audio questions that are about 55-90 seconds each with somewhere from 5-8 clues per question. I'm using Imaginary Landscape as a model but with adjustments for the fact that vocalists in pop music are often really easily identifiable.

DISTRIBUTION
6 Rock Music
5 Pop Music
4 Hip-Hop
2 R&B
1 Jazz
2 Mixed/Other/Place for Weird Answerlines

All genres are widely defined and the questions will cover a number of sub-genres and eras. That said, questions on mediocre music are boring, so most of the tossups will be on things that I find to be particularly good, bad, original, or otherwise noteworthy in the history of pop music.

My aim is for about 30% of questions to be on something that could be tossed up in an ACF Fall set, 50% on things that could reasonably be tossed up in a regular+ difficulty set, and 15% hard answers to test deep knowledge.

Like SOUNDTRACK or IMAGINARY LANDSCAPE, the questions will begin by telling you what I am looking for (i.e. "Name the artist" or "Name the common title"). Most of the answers will be on artists or common links, but I have more creative answers when they can be done without being confusing for the player.

At the moment, the set is about 10% written with 50% of the answers chosen.
My goal is to have it mirrored at NSC and during the summer if possible, with it being ready Fall 2019 at the latest.
Andy Huff
Chicago 2020
LSE 2025
ahuff
Lulu

Re: TUPAC (Auditory Pop Music Tournament)

Post by ahuff »

I'm going to use this post for updates to the set as I have them.

UPDATE 1: The set will be finished by July 1. If anybody wants to mirror it for a summer open, PM me here or email me at afhuff AT uchicago DOT edu.
Andy Huff
Chicago 2020
LSE 2025