FTP 3: The Final Sequence (Summer 2018)

Old college threads.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

FTP 3: The Final Sequence (Summer 2018)

Post by Ciorwrong »

Hello quiz bowl trash community: we are making the last edition of our yearly trash-tastic abomination Fuck This Packet (FTP). Myself, Trent Koch and Tony Incorvati will be editing the set with contributions from other people associated with the MSU Academic Competition Club. The mirror fee will be $7/person and please email or PM me if you are interested in running the set at a summer open or side event weekend. There will be 5 powermarked rounds of 20/20 to be completed by July or the first summer side event weekend. I will be allowing mirrors until December 2018.

Because of comments from previous years, we are instituting a 1/1 internet and meme quota per packet. Tossups may still have strange answerlines on goofy topics (stuff that’d make you say “fuck this packet”...) but I’d really like to cut down on the pure internet content. That doesn’t mean that a tossup on The Bee Movie (ala FTP 1) isn’t possible, but it will not reward meme knowledge if at all possible. We will work to limit the vanity answerlines and will try to have higher tossup conversion while maintaining an ability to differentiate players and teams of varying skill levels. Tossups will be capped at 8 lines of Times New Roman 10 unlike a rather long tossup from FTP1.

The distribution is similar to previous years. I am internally maintaining a list of banned and cliched topics that appear in trash too much. I may release this list at some point, but note that questions on played-out answerlines like Arcade Fire will not appear.

Distribution:
Music 4 4
Rap/Pop 1 1
Rock pre 1990 1 1
Rock post 1990 1 1
All other categories and previous (probably more pop) 1 1
Sports 3 3
NFL 0.75 0.75
NBA 0.75 0.75
MLB 0.75 0.75
NHL 0.5 0.5
Other Sports (Golf, tennis, college sports, racing, etc.) 0.25 0.25
Television 4 4
Drama 0.75 0.75
Comedy 1 1
Cartoons including Anime 1 1
Reality TV and previous categories 1.25 1.25
Movies 4 4
Drama 1 1
Comedy 1 1
Pre 1980s Movies 1 1
Previous Categories and Other 1 1
Video Games 2 2
Pre 2005 Video Games 1 1
Other Video games 1 1
Culture and Other 3 3
Internet Culture 0.5 0.5
Pop and Celebrity Culture 0.5 0.5
Meta .5 .5
Grab Bag 1.5 1.5
Tiebreaker 1 0
TOTAL 21 20

I hope people have fun playing this set again this year. People should not take it too seriously, but if you have some feedback from the two previous editions, please email me. :grin:
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Thu May 10, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
heterodyne
Rikku

Re: FTP 3: The Final Sequence (Summer 2018)

Post by heterodyne »

Progcon wrote: note that questions on played-out answerlines like Arcade Fire will not appear.
is this what the kids call the "availability heuristic"
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

heterodyne wrote:
Progcon wrote: note that questions on played-out answerlines like Arcade Fire will not appear.
is this what the kids call the "availability heuristic"
Yup. I hadn't heard of Arcade Fire until I started playing QB in high school.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

So this set is written and couldn't be mirrored at some of the sites it was supposed due to the crowded side event weekends. As such, I have decided to run it on the quizbowl Discord sometime. I was planning on reading all the tossups and having the bonuses be read for the crowd. Donations from those who play would be appreciated because we wrote 105 tossups and 100 bonuses.

Is there a preference for dates? I could do like one packet a night for a week or I could run it as a mini-tournament on a new Discord server. Let me know if you have thoughts or preferences. Ideally, this set would be mirrored after some fall academic events in September and October as well.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Who Cares About Nausinous
Lulu

Post by Who Cares About Nausinous »

I expect a solid Pokémon distro
Luc Wetherbee, the kid with the flower
Ithaca High School '17
Cornell '21
The guy with the flower
StabbedCat
Kimahri

Post by StabbedCat »

Having read the others on the packet archive, were an online mirror of this to run, I would be interested in playing. I am in a tricky timezone but more than happy to wake up at strange and bizarre times
Theo Howe
University of Cambridge '19
Self-proclaimed trash god, middling to bad on all other subjects
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Okay. So I have two options for an online Discord mirror of this. The first option is to run each packet in the #packet channel of the main Quizbowl Discord channel, one packet/day over the course of a week (Monday-Friday). Alternatively, I could pick a Saturday or Sunday and just run the full 5 packets of this set as a semi-legit mirror. In either situation, I'd appreciate it if participating players at least gave 5$ for the whole set or $1/packet so I can pay our writers. If you want to play, let me know what works best for you.

Also, I'm in the process of making a Spotify playlist of every song that appears in FTP3 except for the ones that aren't on Spotify. If you have played the set and are interested in this playlist, please PM or email me.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

So my current plan is to read the five packets in the #packet channel on the QB Discord next Sunday, September 30th at around 6 pm EST. I will read tossups and then bonuses for the crowd. If you decide to play, donations are appreciated, so please Venmo me for those. Donate what you feel like.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

The set is being uploaded to the database. I hope people enjoy it and feedback is still encouraged. This set should be perfect for summer QB car rides or quizbowl casual get-togethers.

Edit: yup
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired