FILM side event (for charity @ JED)

Old college threads.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

FILM side event (for charity @ JED)

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is my initial announcement for FILM (For Informed Lovers of Movies), an art and trash film side-event targeted for completion by 2018 CO or use at other summer side-events.

Content

Learning from my experiences with GRAPHIC, this will be intended as tossup-only from the start. It will likely consist of 10 packets, with 1 packet of tiebreakers, though I can contract or expand based on demand. It will consist only of things related to the film medium, even if tenuously so; see the subdistribution comments about High-Low in particular for the target of art vs. trash.

Questions will be 7 - 9 lines long, before powermarking, with most being 8 or 9 (10 point, Times New Roman).

There will be powers and superpowers, though I'm ambivalent about the latter, and you can choose to ignore them if you like.

Difficulty

It will be pretty hard, but almost every answerline should be easily convertible as long as you like the movies. I'm going for tough early/middle clues, and late clues where you should definitely be in a buzzer race. It will be a good event to accompany CO, is what I'm saying.

Distribution

Again learning from GRAPHIC, I will be using a quota system for the distribution, as I found my set categories for GRAPHIC were too restrictive on the type of questions I could ask. That is, for each of the categories listed, I am guaranteeing that at least that many questions on that subject will be asked, but not that there won't be more. (Note that one question may fill multiple categories, so clearly things should not add up to 20 below).
  • Time Period: this is the only subdistribution that I promise to adhere to: all others may occasionally have one less question in a given round, or have a question that tenuously fits the subdistribution definition. Each packet will have at least 3 questions each from the following time periods: beginning of time-1960, 1960-1990, 1990-2005, 2005-2015, 2015-onwards, with some lenience for questions crossing periods or on the threshold.
  • Role in production: Director (1), Acting (2), Movie (6) (where asking for things like a character from a movie would fill this category), Other Production (1) (e.g. any other prominent occupation in the film industry)
  • Location: US (6) (and probably more), UK (1), Europe (1), Asia (1), Rest of World (1)
  • Brow-ness: i.e. the High-Low split. This is always a tough thing to define (for, like, everyone), so all I'm going to guarantee is that this will be a roughly 33% Art - 66% Trash split. That's with the emphasis on roughly, and lots of things will cross over or just not make sense to bin as such.
  • Marginalized Subjects: at least one question/packet will be on a historically marginalized subject in film. This is going to be a very general category; it could range from just a question on a woman director to one on a documentary about migrant conditions (both totally made up examples, although you can almost definitely expect the former). All I can really promise is that I'm going to try and make this set socially conscious.
  • Vanity Subjects: As a warning, once the standard subdistributions are filled, there's probably going to be a decent sprinkling of vanity and experimental questions. The one film Festivus packet I wrote is probably a good example of this type of question. The format of at least one question will probably infuriate at least one person, but I solemnly swear that these are all going to be written to be fun and still be very much convertible by anyone who likes the movies.
Fee

This set will be $10/person playing. This can be negotiated negotiated if you plan on running the set in a shootout, or won't read the full set, but I'll most likely be set on the $10 fee.

All funds raised from playing this set will be donated to the JED Foundation, a 4-star charity dedicated to suicide prevention for teens and young adults. In addition, I'll personally match every dollar raised i.e. $100 gets made, $200 total goes to JED, $500 gets made, $1000 total goes to JED.
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Tue May 22, 2018 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: FILM side event announcement

This is about 70% done, and I'm very excited with its current state!

Assuming all goes well, I'll be playtesting a "mini" version at NSC, using reduced rounds and likely using a shootout format.

It's still to be announced, but the main summer side event bonanza is the main target for this set.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

A thread for the NSC playtest is here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21234

The set is nearly done!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

This set is essentially done, with the rare question + packetizing to be completed.

I'm also announcing that all funds raised from playing this set will be donated to the JED Foundation, a 4-star charity dedicated to suicide prevention for teens and young adults. In addition, I'll personally match every dollar raised i.e. $100 gets made, $200 total goes to JED, $500 gets made, $1000 total goes to JED.

Additionally, the mirror fee will in general be $10 per person playing. This can be negotiated if you plan on running the set in a shootout, or won't read the full set, but I'll most likely be set on the $10 fee.

I've updated the OP to reflect both of these points as well.

I'd also like to reiterate that the set has a healthy amount of art and trash film, and I think both academic and casual players will have fun with it. I'm very pleased with the quality of the set, moreso once I've playtested it a bit.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: FILM side event (for charity @ JED)

The FILM event ran in a shootout at the Boston Open this past weekend, raising $90 for the JED foundation. I believe everyone was extremely happy with the set, and I hope everyone both had fun and learned some stuff while playing.

Also, since I thought had posted this, but apparently never did--we raised $200 for the JED foundation at the NSC mirror.

Together, that leads to $290 so far, and since I'm doubling everything out of pocket, that's $580 raised for the JED foundation!

We have remaining mirrors at the Illinois Open and online planned, so please do not discuss the set in any open forums until those are clear. If you'd like a copy of the set, please contact me, and I'll happily send you one!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

No physical mirrors remain, but I've announced an online shootout for next week over the Discord. See the post here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 84#p348884
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

I wanted to get another chance to read the set over Discord, but that's looking increasingly unlikely, so I'm going to go ahead and officially release the set (it should be on the archives soon), and wrap up donations. That means we've closed out the total make from FILM at $300, which means I'll be donating $600 to the JED foundation.

Thank you to everyone who played, as well as everyone who donated. Your money is going to an important cause.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I really enjoyed this set, but there were a fair share of typos (of the kind that create factual inaccuracies). In the first packet alone:

-Robert Newman is said to be the star of Cool Hand Luke, instead of Paul Newman.
-Harry Steiner is said to do the music for King Kong, instead of Max Steiner.

And those are just on tossups that on topics I know well. I don't know if this is true throughout the set, but some proofreading would be helpful in the future.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger