This is my initial announcement for FILM
overs of M
ovies), a film side-event targeted for completion by 2018 CO or use at other summer side-events.Contents
Learning from my experiences with GRAPHIC, this will be intended as tossup-only from the start. It will likely consist of 10 packets, with 1 packet of tiebreakers, though I can contract or expand based on demand. It will consist only of things related to the film medium, even if tenuously so; see the subdistribution comments about High-Low in particular for the target of art vs. trash.
Questions will be 6 - 9 lines long, with most being 7 or 8 (10 point, Times New Roman).
There will be powers and superpowers, though I'm ambivalent about the latter, and you can choose to ignore them if you like.Difficulty
It will be pretty hard, but almost every answerline should be easily convertible as long as you like the movies. I'm going for tough early/middle clues, and late clues where you should definitely be in a buzzer race. It will be a good event to accompany CO, is what I'm saying.Distribution
Again learning from GRAPHIC, I will be using a quota
system for the distribution, as I found my set categories for GRAPHIC were too restrictive on the type of questions I could ask. That is, for each of the categories listed, I am guaranteeing that at least
that many questions on that subject will be asked, but not that there won't be more. (Note that one question may fill multiple categories, so clearly things should not add up to 20 below).
- Time Period: this is the only subdistribution that I promise to adhere to: all others may occasionally have one less question in a given round, or have a question that tenuously fits the subdistribution definition. Each packet will have at least 3 questions each from the following time periods: beginning of time-1960, 1960-1990, 1990-2005, 2005-2015, 2015-onwards, with some lenience for questions crossing periods or on the threshold.
- Role in production: Director (1), Acting (2), Movie (6) (where asking for things like a character from a movie would fill this category), Other Production (1) (e.g. any other prominent occupation in the film industry)
- Location: US (6) (and probably more), UK (1), Europe (1), Asia (1), Rest of World (1)
- Brow-ness: i.e. the High-Low split. This is always a tough thing to define (for, like, everyone), so all I'm going to guarantee is that this will be a roughly 25% Art - 75% Trash split. That's with the emphasis on roughly, and lots of things will cross over or just not make sense to bin as such.
- Marginalized Subjects: at least one question/packet will be on a historically marginalized subject in film. This is going to be a very general category; it could range from just a question on a woman director to one on a documentary about migrant conditions (both totally made up examples, although you can almost definitely expect the former). All I can really promise is that I'm going to try and make this set socially conscious.
- Vanity Subjects: As a warning, once the standard subdistributions are filled, there's probably going to be a decent sprinkling of vanity and experimental questions. The one film Festivus packet I wrote is probably a good example of this type of question. The format of at least one question will probably infuriate at least one person, but I solemnly swear that these are all going to be written to be fun and still be very much convertible by anyone who likes the movies.
Only about 2 packets are done so far. I wanted to wait a little longer until I had more done to announce, but I already brought it up in the Shoney's thread, and I guess this will spur me into action. I'll repeat again that this is being targeted for summer side-events.
If you're positive you're not going to be able to play this, feel free to reach out to possibly contribute questions or just let me playtest some of them on you.