BUMPY - a visual movie tournament

Old college threads.
funkdaddio
Lulu

BUMPY - a visual movie tournament

Post by funkdaddio »

Hello fellow Quizbowlers

I am very pleased to make an announcement for my vanity visual movie set called BUMPY. The set will consist of 100 "Name the movie" questions, each of which have 10 image clues. There are powers marked with a blue border.
The movies spread across all genres but all of them would be classified as trash. There's a 15/85 split between pre-1990 and post 1990.

Mirrors will be available starting the weekend of October 21. Email me for more info or to set up a mirror.
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Re: BUMPY - a visual movie tournament

Post by Gene Harrogate »

I played this tournament with about fifteen other people at Toronto and I can confirm it was a lot of fun. Would recommend.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
btathagat
Kimahri

Post by btathagat »

Great set, had a good time with my friends!

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
The Story of a Head That Fell Off
Lulu

Post by The Story of a Head That Fell Off »

We played this at Princeton. This set was difficult at times but very rewarding when you know the answer - really enjoyed some of the "themed" tossups too, clearly a lot of heart was put into this. Thank you for creating this set.
Jeremy "JJ" Tsai
Rutgers 2016-2019 (President 2018-2019)
"Maryland" 2019-2021
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

This set was fun to play, but the "vanity" part of it was in high excess. You weren't going to enjoy this at all if you just didn't share the interests of Julien--which pretty much fit into a very specific Anglo-American genre of directing--and the definite consensus of the room was that it was needlessly hard. (Multiple times, the room failed to convert giveaways on movies people had seen. That's not what a giveaway is. Not to mention moments were players buzzed on things midquestion and then acknowledged that they wouldn't have been able to buzz on the giveaway.)

I really liked some of the themed tossups though, they were clever.

Also, the stats will evidence this, but Harrison (I think that was your name?) watches a lot of movies.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
funkdaddio
Lulu

Post by funkdaddio »

Thanks for the feedback Raynor, i got similar feedback from a few people as well. I will take all of this into account when i make Bumpy ii
Julien BUMPY Bossé
OttawaU, McGill
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

A number of us played this in a hotel room at HSNCT--I actually had a lot of fun playing this, although generally I don't share the author's interests in film a ton.

I actually liked the hard aspects of the set--it felt like you were playing a lot of lead-ins, but it also tended to reduce buzzer races and people just figuring out a film after seeing a famous actor or scene. Obviously the giveaways were hard, but I did like that the set rewarded more or less true knowledge (it is true that the giveaways were harder than some of the earlier slides, but that just seems subjective). I did feel like there was no need to be coy in movies that aren't super famous, such as Meet Joe Black or Burn After Reading.

The set was also very visually appealing--you picked out aesthetically nice images and worked some very great themes (such as the one in Forrest Gump). I did think though that the frequent decisions not to show characters resulted in an ordinate amount of photos of things like ceilings, staircases, bare walls, that perhaps may have worked sparingly but didn't need to be used over and over.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger