Chomping Down at Shoney's Memorial Tournament (Film)

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Chomping Down at Shoney's Memorial Tournament (Film)

Post by Cheynem »

I am writing a "tournament." It is on film. There are 8 packets of all tossups. It is vanity in that some films/series will come up multiple, even many, times, and there are almost no questions on foreign or independent films. There is no distribution although it will cover most of the entire 20th and some of the 21st centuries.

None of the questions will have answerlines on films, actors, or directors (characters are okay). This will lead to presumably very awkward common links, actions, or "scene' questions (so, for example, there wouldn't be a question on The Silence of the Lambs but a common link tossup on "Hannibal Lecter eating people").

If there's a late fall or early winter open or some tournament where such an event might want to be mirrored, that would be a good place for it, otherwise I wonder if some sort of online reading might work.

I am aware that i never finished the NBA or comic book tournaments. They will be finished by the next leap year.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Chomping Down at Shoney's Memorial Tournament (Film)

Post by Cheynem »

Just a note: I got another job, so this will be on the backburner yet hopefully be finished by the end of the summer.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I forgot this existed, but now that I've been reminded, here's a side note that I'm writing a full bodied 10-11 packet film (both high and low) tournament that I'm targeting for the summer side event ringaround (CO, likely).

I didn't want to announce it formally until I had more progress on it, but it's probably better to just do it sooner as opposed to later, so expect an announcement soon. Anyways, take this how you will, whether it does or doesn't affect your motivation to write this tournament.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Cool!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Bumped to note that this will be finished once the horrors of grading final exams is over in May.

There will be six packets. You will see a lot of the same film series coming up again and again and again creeping in this petty pace from day to day.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Making decent progress on this set, which will have somewhere around 6-8 packets I guess in total (I have 8 packets' worth of answerlines in total, but we'll see how time goes). The style of the questions is extremely similar to the film questions in Will Nediger's excellent Scattergories set, but slightly easier (in most cases) and also obviously more geared around my interests (i.e. almost all of the questions are on mainstream American film). There seems to be a glut of film events at this time (which is cool), but I'm hoping to get some mirrors set up, and maybe something online at the end of summer as well.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There are now 8 completed packets. I think the set is good, if occasionally odd and obviously tailored to my interests. You should play online if you haven't already.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

This set is an absolute delight. Much recommended to potential players.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If anyone wants to run a mirror of this, let me know, or otherwise I will post this by the end of the month. I'm open to mirrors not having the usual fees but instead some sort of flat compensation payment.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

As is my wont, it's inexplicably taken me several days to post the stats from the mirror of this we ran at the UMN NASAT site. Just like at the main site, we did one seeding round, then 7 rounds of promotion/relegation with only points scored in the top room counting towards the actual title. Here are those scores:

Sam Bailey 560 (21/30/11)
Erik Nelson 225 (5/16/2)
Olivia Kiser 215 (0/24/5)
Evan Brown 180 (5/13/5)
Andrew Hart 155 (1/16/4)
Janet Wang 65 (3/2/0)
Jason Asher 20 (0/3/2)
Foster Hughes 0 (0/0/0)

Mike, remind me how to pay you and I'll get you your $50.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

You can pay me through PayPal (paypal.me/MichaelCheyne), or mail me something. I thought I had a Venmo account, but that account is having some issues preventing me from logging in, so I'm working through their customer service, so the other two options are best for now.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota