6IXGOD

Old college threads.
iangreig
Kimahri

6IXGOD

Post by iangreig »

Hi everyone! I’m planning to host 6IXGOD, a Toronto Geography side event, in January or February of 2018. The tournament will be played in doubles, with each pair submitting a short pack of 10 Toss-Ups. I will edit each pack and write some packets of my own. The distribution will be fairly lenient, but each pack must include at least one Toss-Up on each of the following:

-Etobicoke (Lake Ontario - Mississauga/Brampton border - Steeles - Humber River)
-Scarborough (Lake Ontario - Victoria Park - Steeles - Pickering border)
-North York (Eglinton - Humber River - Steeles - Victoria Park)
-Downtown Core (Lake Ontario - Bathurst - Bloor - Sherbourne)
-The Rest of Toronto

Additionally, each pack should contain at least one TTC-centric question (either on a specific route or station, or just using mostly TTC clues).

Toss-Ups should be 6-10 lines long with no power markings. The submission deadline will be announced when the date of the tournament is finalised. The tournament will be free if your team submits a pack, or $10 per person without a pack. Answer lines can be streets, intersections, specific buildings, types of buildings, parks, languages/cultures, physical geographical features, or anything else you can think of.

If you have any questions, you can message me on Facebook or email me at [email protected]. I hope to see you all there!

UPDATE: This tournament will be played on the weekend of ACF Regionals (January 20-21) in Toronto. The deadline for submitting your pack will be DECEMBER 9, 2017.

UPDATE: The field will be capped at 10 teams. Please message me on Facebook or post here if you'd like to register a team. The teams so far are:

1. Paul Kasinski and Kira Vimal
2. Raymond Chen and Erik Christensen
3. Jenny Mao and Rein Otsason
4. Joe Su and Meghan Torchia
5. Isaac Thiessen and Jonathan Whyte
6. Cole Jackes and Kanav Petkar
7. Kieran Mcquattie and Leslie Newcombe
8. Eric Raju and Andrew Yim

FREE AGENTS
Fox Slawnych
Nathan Stoikopoulos
Huma Zafar
Last edited by iangreig on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Ian Greig

University of Toronto
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: 6IXGOD

Post by Calculus? »

I am EXTREMELY excited for this and will be writing for it. Looking for a teammate, preferably someone who grew up in the GTA/lives in an area I do not.

iangreig wrote: pack s
hmmm
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

What's the ruling on stuff that's not technically in Toronto? Can I tossup up, let's say, my favourite store in PMall?
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Still sad you rejected my suggestion to call this the Excellent Toronto Open By Ian Covering Only Knowledge of Everything :(

Super pumped for this, will definitely be writing a pack. Looking for a teammate, preferably from (in order) Scarborough, North York or "East York".
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Truly outrageous idea.

Look forward to playing this (and being embarassed if I don't do well!).
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
Jean de Daumier-Smith
Kimahri

Post by Jean de Daumier-Smith »

This is so fantastic. I'll definitely be playing and submitting a pack. One question though: are events (e.g. "the construction of New City Hall") allowed?
Jenny Mao
Toronto
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

One question though: are events (e.g. "the construction of New City Hall") allowed?
Of course Jenny tries to work history in.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
iangreig
Kimahri

Post by iangreig »

Aaron Manby (ironmaster) wrote:What's the ruling on stuff that's not technically in Toronto? Can I tossup up, let's say, my favourite store in PMall?
No, I'd like to keep the answer lines within the actual borders of Toronto. I'm okay with the occasional clue from outside Toronto, though!
Ian Greig

University of Toronto
iangreig
Kimahri

Post by iangreig »

Jean de Daumier-Smith wrote:One question though: are events (e.g. "the construction of New City Hall") allowed?
I'd like to keep the focus of the tournament on Geography (things you can know by walking around and knowing where stuff is). But you could toss-up "New City Hall" and have a clue or two about its construction!
Ian Greig

University of Toronto
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

I definitely like this event, but the deadline is already gone and I feel I can't complete a whole pack. Would you be open to a smattering of questions sent in to add to a pack or as a tiebreaker? Also, are questions using music or movie clues allowed?
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team