Super ACRONYM Mirror @ Toronto (Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

Super ACRONYM Mirror @ Toronto (Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada! :grin:

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is please to announce a mirror of Super ACRONYM on Sunday, August 13th, 2017. Note that this is the day after VETO. More info about the set can be found here. Note that unlike regular strength ACRONYM, Super ACRONYM is a hard trash tournament. This tournament will take place in Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street), and the control room will be room 2127. The tournament will begin at 9:00 AM sharp so please be in the control room by 8:30.

Fees and discounts
Base fee: $135 CAD
Buzzer discount: $-5 per functioning buzzer set
Staffer discount: $-10 per functioning moderator

NEW Shorthanded discount: $-15 per missing player

The tournament is completely open. Create a team or register as a free agent and find one later. To register, send me an email at uoftquizbowl AT gmail DOT com or shoot me a PM/Facebook message. As always, I'll take cash, cheque (made out to the University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club), or e-transfer.

HARD FIELD CAP OF 11 TEAMS

Current field:
Aayush's Team
Martingrove
University of Chicago
Adam/Christine/Leslie/Brian
Cooper's Team
Meghan's Team
Faith's Team
McMaster

Side events

We will be running There Will Be Stock Clues after this event.

--------------------------

If you have any questions, comments, etc. please post them here.

See you all in August!
Last edited by Calculus? on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 am, edited 12 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Super ACRONYM Mirror @ Toronto (Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017)

Post by Calculus? »

Post updated with locations.
Meghan Torchia
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Hi. Given that only 3 of the 4 teams I have listed here are actually confirmed, I need at least one more definite registration for this by the end of the weekend for this mirror to proceed. If you have a team or are interested in playing with me, please let me know.

EDIT: Ok, looks like we're good for this.
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Registration for this will be closed Tuesday night. Please have your teams registered by then or you will not be given a spot.
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

This is a copy of the email I just sent out to people whose emails I have:

LOCATION AND TRANSPORTATION

This tournament will take place in Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street) on U of T campus. For those who have never been, it’s the building with an enormous banner reading “Arts & Science” on it. Our control room will be room 2127, on the second floor. If you are playing VETO on Saturday, this is the same building, but the control room is different. Don’t go to the Saturday room. There is nothing for you there.
The tournament will begin at 9:00 AM sharp, so please try to arrive around 8:30 so I can process you. If you arrive after 9:00, I WILL START WITHOUT YOU and your opponents will play empty chairs.
If you are driving, the closest parking can be found underground at 107 Saint George Street. If you are taking transit, get off at St. George subway station (St. George exit, not Bedford Road) and walk south along Saint George Street until you reach the building.
Please note that the Bay/York street ramp on the Gardiner Expressway will be closed for the rest of the year. In addition, the TTC will be closed from Sheppard West (formerly Downsview) to St. George stations on August 12th and 13th (you can still access St. George Station from the south, east, or west directions). If either of these things impact you, please plan accordingly.
Also note that on weekends, the doors to the building are usually locked except for the northeast exit (the one on St. George Street closest to the Ramsay Wright building). Sometimes only one door in that exit is actually unlocked. If you’ve tried all the doors there and you still can’t get into the building, send me a text and I’ll come get you.

PAYMENT

As stated in my original announcement, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer/PayPal. Cheques should be made out to “University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club”, not to me personally. Please be ready to pay before the tournament starts. Note that all given prices are in CAD. If absolutely necessary, I will take USD at parity.

FORMAT

We have 8 teams registered, so we will be playing a full 7-game round robin followed by a 3-round rebracket, and advantaged finals as required. Teams will be given schedules the day of. Lunch will take place after round 5 and will last approximately an hour. There are a variety of cheap lunch options near campus (on Bloor Street to the north and College Street to the south). The main tournament is anticipated to end around 5:00.
There will be one side event running after the tournament on Sunday; that is “There Will Be Stock Clues”, an all-food side event. It will cost $10 per player. I will take signups for that the day of, and it is of course completely optional.

Finally, if you have any questions/concerns that I haven’t addressed here, please feel free to reply to this email/comment on the forum announcement. If an issue arises on the day of, the fastest way to contact me is to send me a text at [REDACTED].
Looking forward to seeing you all soon!
Meghan Torchia
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Here are the stats

It's always a pleasure to come down to Toronto for a tournament weekend. Thanks to Meghan and Aaron for another great time.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Hey, hope everyone had a great time at this, I certainly did.

Notes: About half the players showed up after 9:00 AM which, honestly, was rude and inconvenient to me and to the people who did show up on time. If you decide to commit to a double weekend, it's your responsibility to either go to bed on time on Saturday night or deal with the lack of sleep on Sunday morning. On a lighter note, I think booking the rooms until 10:00 PM was a good decision and should be the way to go in the future as we ended up running side events till about 9:30. We also tried out e-scoresheets for the first time, which I will definitely be using in the future and which I encourage everyone else to use as well, provided your mods are able. In the stats, note that the Chicago team who left in the morning had their games wiped so as not to confuse anyone and does not appear there.

Thanks: Thanks to all my staffers (Jordan, Faheem, Andrew, Ian, Rico) for coming out to moderate, and big thanks to Joe for doing remote stats from Ottawa with the e-scoresheets. I know it was something of an experiment but it went pretty well. And of course, thanks to everyone who came out to play!
Meghan Torchia