ACRONYM X Open Mirror @ CCCT/Minneapolis - 2/25/17

Old college threads.
InvadErGII
Rikku

ACRONYM X Open Mirror @ CCCT/Minneapolis - 2/25/17

Post by InvadErGII »

NAQT and Play Quiz Bowl are partnering to provide a mirror of ACRONYM X, which will follow the conclusion of CCCT at the Minneapolis Hilton (near the airport and Mall of America) on Saturday, February 25, 2017. This tournament will be open to both CCCT teams and other teams from the local community, with one exception - local high school teams are not permitted at this event, and are encouraged to play in the high school-only mirror the following weekend.

You can register for this tournament here. The base fee for teams is $90, with a $5 discount for a working buzzer system and a $15 discount for a team staffer. The minimum fee is $60. The field is capped at 24 teams and will likely fill, so get your registrations in soon!

Check-in will begin at 5pm on Saturday, with games starting at around 5:30. The exact format will depend on the field size, but there will likely be six preliminary rounds followed by a brief break and then some form of playoffs.
Last edited by InvadErGII on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: ACRONYM X Open Mirror @ CCCT - 2/25/17

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I assume this is restricted to actual CC players (i.e., I don't get to go baby seal clubbing). What might constitute "other local teams" if high schools aren't included? Minnesota CCs that didn't play in the CCCT?
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:I assume this is restricted to actual CC players (i.e., I don't get to go baby seal clubbing). What might constitute "other local teams" if high schools aren't included? Minnesota CCs that didn't play in the CCCT?
Any team that isn't from a local high school is eligible - it's definitely not restricted to just CC players. So, any college team (U of M, Macalester, Carleton), or just a random group of adults or whatever is fine.
Erik Nelson
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

CLUB ON, COACH BORGLUM.

It's just like that one week late in the year when all the SEC teams suspiciously play FCS schools.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Nice! I'm definitely in, then.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ArloLyle
Lulu

Post by ArloLyle »

I'd like to play this tournament, but I don't really have any interest in playing it solo again this year. If anyone is looking for an extra player or would like to form a team, please let me know.

Also, can I recommend updating the title of this thread to indicate the tournament is taking place in Minneapolis? For folks like me who are quite a few years past college the fact that this tournament is taking place at CCCT doesn't mean much.
Arlo Lyle - Freelance Trash Player (MN)
--------------------------------------------------
Tulsa (2002-2005)
Georgia (2005-2007)
Alcoholics Synonymous (2002-2005,2007-2008)
Arlo and Ashley Plus Zero (2009)
InvadErGII
Rikku

Re: ACRONYM X Open Mirror @ CCCT/Minneapolis - 2/25/17

Post by InvadErGII »

Good call - updated.

Also note that like the HSNCT mirror from last year, you can (and should, if you're not on a real team currently) create a team on NAQT's website for the purposes of registering.
Erik Nelson
InvadErGII
Rikku

Re: ACRONYM X Open Mirror @ CCCT/Minneapolis - 2/25/17

Post by InvadErGII »

Congratulations to Northern Michigan A, who defeated TTM (a form of Tia and the Trashmen) in the finals to win the CCCT ACRONYM event. Macalester A defeated "Coaches and Company," a team composed mostly of local high school coaches, to earn 3rd place. This was a ton of fun; thanks to everyone who came out!

Stats are here!
Erik Nelson