Science Fiction Side Event

Old college threads.
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

I will be hosting a science fiction side event after DEES at the University of Maryland on Saturday, November 22. These questions were previously used over Memorial Day Weekend at Balticon. I reformatted the questions into toss-ups and bonuses so I would like whoever shows up to form teams.

The 2013 packet can be found at Wastebin.

For the purposes of this event, science fiction also includes fantasy and horror. More than half of the questions concerns written material which includes magazines, publishers and editors. Most of the remainder will be on movie and television media, but there will be a smattering of geek-interest topics like websites, comics, games, anime and easy actual science.

There will be no powers. After 20 toss-ups I will experiment with the "Final Strike" endgame.
If the score is tied:
- The first team to answer a toss-up correctly gets 10 points and wins the game.
- The first team to interrupt and answer a toss-up incorrectly loses 5 points and loses the game.
If the score is not tied:
- The team that is ahead wins when it answers a toss-up correctly or the team that is behind interrupts and answers incorrectly.
- The team that is behind wins when it scores enough points to PASS the other team.
So the team that is behind is the only one who can score bonus points. Incorrect answers on completed toss-ups or bonuses don't end the game. Since the team that is behind must pass the other team, if they do manage a tie, they still need more points to win the game.
Last edited by silverscreentest on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverscreentest
Lulu

DEES ran late so this event didn't happen. I'll repost when it's rescheduled.
silverscreentest
Lulu

Re: Science Fiction Side Event

This event has been tentatively rescheduled for after the NAQT SCT on February 7, 2015. I have permission from Maryland to hold it then, but I am not sure about my own schedule.
silverscreentest
Lulu

Re: Science Fiction Side Event

Given that the NAQT SCT has been moved from UMd to UVa, this event is postponed until a future date.
silverscreentest
Lulu

Science Fiction Side Event - 22 Feb 2015 after Cottage Bowl

I'll be running this after Cottage Bowl at the University of Maryland on February 22.