Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
setophaga
Lulu
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by setophaga » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 am

setophaga wrote:
setophaga wrote:This may have long become myth and legend, but I'm about halfway through a 20/20 Wheel of Time packet on the few things I remember (and some things I don't) from the series. Let me know if anyone's interested in a reading when the packet is finished (probably in the next week). I could probably also easily convert it to 30/0 or 40/0 if that would be better suitable for IRC readings.
This is now complete. It is 20/0 with powers (and superpowers in some cases) to facilitate reading on the IRC.
PM me if you are interested in playing, and let me know what would be your preferred date. I could read it tonight if enough people are interested, but otherwise it'll probably happen early next week (Monday or Tuesday)
This happened.
Austin Brownlow posted a ridiculous statline of 13/1/6 plus a superpower to run clear with 180 points.
Finn Bender went 1/2/1 for 30 points and Conor Thompson 0/1/1.

If anyone missed out and is interested in a second reading, let me know.
Sameer Apte
Carnegie Mellon '19
President, CMU Quizbowl

User avatar
The Abydos Helicopter
Lulu
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 am

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by The Abydos Helicopter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:11 am

Would be interested at some point.
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '21

User avatar
Mike Bentley
Auron
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Mike Bentley » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:31 pm

I have a sequel to my Pacific Northwest themed packet that should be ready next weekend. A decent amount of the content in the packet should be accessible to a general audience. Tentative plan is to read it around 10 PM eastern on Monday, April 24th.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

User avatar
Mike Bentley
Auron
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Mike Bentley » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Mike Bentley wrote:I have a sequel to my Pacific Northwest themed packet that should be ready next weekend. A decent amount of the content in the packet should be accessible to a general audience. Tentative plan is to read it around 10 PM eastern on Monday, April 24th.
Actually this will be at 10 PM on Tuesday, April 25th.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

User avatar
SpanishSpy
Wakka
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by SpanishSpy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 am

I am currently in the planning stages for my third trash packet, tentatively titled Alex Wallace's Titanic Trash Packet.

I'm also bandying about the idea for a Washington DC metro area themed packet like the PNW packet discussed above.
Alex Wallace
Washington-Lee High School Class of 2015
College of William & Mary Class of 2019

User avatar
Mike Bentley
Auron
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Mike Bentley » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 am

Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I have a sequel to my Pacific Northwest themed packet that should be ready next weekend. A decent amount of the content in the packet should be accessible to a general audience. Tentative plan is to read it around 10 PM eastern on Monday, April 24th.
Actually this will be at 10 PM on Tuesday, April 25th.
I'll be reading this tonight.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

User avatar
Mike Bentley
Auron
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Mike Bentley » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I have a sequel to my Pacific Northwest themed packet that should be ready next weekend. A decent amount of the content in the packet should be accessible to a general audience. Tentative plan is to read it around 10 PM eastern on Monday, April 24th.
Actually this will be at 10 PM on Tuesday, April 25th.
I'll be reading this tonight.
Will be starting in a few minutes in #quizbowl on slashnet.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

User avatar
Mike Bentley
Auron
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Mike Bentley » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I have a sequel to my Pacific Northwest themed packet that should be ready next weekend. A decent amount of the content in the packet should be accessible to a general audience. Tentative plan is to read it around 10 PM eastern on Monday, April 24th.
Actually this will be at 10 PM on Tuesday, April 25th.
I'll be reading this tonight.
Will be starting in a few minutes in #quizbowl on slashnet.
Mike Cheyne won. Packet is attached. Scores:

Code: Select all

Player            Total
Mike Cheyne       50
Matt              30
Michael Zhuang    30
Sam               20
Susan             15
Richard           15
Jeremy            15
Tejas             10
Jonathan          10
Steven Silverman  10
Chris Manners     10
Jordan            -5
Naveed            -5
Conor             -5
Attachments
The Bogue Plan - Another Packet on the Pacific Northwest.docx
(44.63 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

User avatar
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Amizda Calyx » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:24 pm

I can read the unused portions of the Rutgers Nats packet (half of the finals tiebreaker packet) plus the used questions too if people are interested. I'd be doing this around 9PM Saturday.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

User avatar
Zuz
Lulu
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Zuz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Those of you who've been to Maryland practices probably know we sometimes write and bring tossups to read to each other, I've compiled the best of the speedchecks I wrote into a document now with difficulty ranging from Regs to Open. I can read these today @ 9PM EST in #quizsauce on SlashNET. Get ready to have some funn. :smile:
Arun Chonai
Richard Montgomery High School '11
University of Maryland, College Park '??

User avatar
Red Panda Cub
Wakka
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Red Panda Cub » Mon May 01, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm writing an extremely hard packet about early church history, available from Sunday.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17

User avatar
Milhouse
Wakka
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:16 am

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Milhouse » Mon May 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Short-beaked echidna wrote:I'm writing an extremely hard packet about early church history, available from Sunday.
Me, in the announcement thread for OCTAVIAN wrote:I'd be really interested in getting no questions correct on this
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Writer, NAQT

User avatar
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Aaron's Rod » Mon May 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Tornrak wrote:
Short-beaked echidna wrote:I'm writing an extremely hard packet about early church history, available from Sunday.
Me, in the announcement thread for OCTAVIAN wrote:I'd be really interested in getting no questions correct on this
Alex D.
Lawrence B.A., B.Mus. '16 // DePaul M.S. '18
Treasurer & Misconduct Form Rep, ACF // Member, PACE // Writer, NAQT

User avatar
El Salvadoreno
Wakka
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:45 am
Location: Northwest Suburbs, IL

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by El Salvadoreno » Mon May 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Short-beaked echidna wrote:I'm writing an extremely hard packet about early church history, available from Sunday.
I always love to put my Catholic Education to good use :wink:
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '21

My Namesake

User avatar
An Economic Ignoramus
Memerator
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: East Lansing, MI or Naperville, IL

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by An Economic Ignoramus » Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Tornrak wrote:
Short-beaked echidna wrote:I'm writing an extremely hard packet about early church history, available from Sunday.
Me, in the announcement thread for OCTAVIAN wrote:I'd be really interested in getting no questions correct on this
Jakob Myers
MSU '21, Naperville North '17
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Member, PACE
Memerator

User avatar
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Amizda Calyx » Tue May 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Amizda Calyx wrote:I can read the unused portions of the Rutgers Nats packet (half of the finals tiebreaker packet) plus the used questions too if people are interested. I'd be doing this around 9PM Saturday.
Whoops, I was a dufus and forgot that the next Saturday after my post was actually the very next day; I meant Saturday the 6th. But it turns out I won't be available for that time either, so...the reading time is TBD.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

User avatar
Silverman
Lulu
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Silverman » Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 am

I have a packet of 20 tossups on things I enjoy. It's roughly a normal trash distribution, but with a larger component of "other" and slightly less TV/movies/music. I'll be reading it in the IRC this Thursday, May 18, at 22:30 EDT if anyone's interested. Difficulty is rather variable.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17

User avatar
Milhouse
Wakka
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:16 am

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Milhouse » Tue May 16, 2017 12:31 am

Short-beaked echidna wrote:I'm writing an extremely hard packet about early church history, available from Sunday.
Was this finished? Is anyone else interested in playing this?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Writer, NAQT

User avatar
Progcon
Rikku
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Progcon » Tue May 16, 2017 12:47 am

Silverman wrote:I have a packet of 20 tossups on things I enjoy. It's roughly a normal trash distribution, but with a larger component of "other" and slightly less TV/movies/music. I'll be reading it in the IRC this Thursday, May 18, at 22:30 EDT if anyone's interested. Difficulty is rather variable.
Will there be sports? If so, I'm definitely interested. If not, still sounds fun.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University 2015-

User avatar
CPiGuy
Rikku
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by CPiGuy » Tue May 16, 2017 12:49 am

Progcon wrote:
Silverman wrote:I have a packet of 20 tossups on things I enjoy. It's roughly a normal trash distribution, but with a larger component of "other" and slightly less TV/movies/music. I'll be reading it in the IRC this Thursday, May 18, at 22:30 EDT if anyone's interested. Difficulty is rather variable.
Will there be sports? If so, I'm definitely interested. If not, still sounds fun.
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20

User avatar
Silverman
Lulu
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Silverman » Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm

CPiGuy wrote:
Progcon wrote:
Silverman wrote:I have a packet of 20 tossups on things I enjoy. It's roughly a normal trash distribution, but with a larger component of "other" and slightly less TV/movies/music. I'll be reading it in the IRC this Thursday, May 18, at 22:30 EDT if anyone's interested. Difficulty is rather variable.
Will there be sports? If so, I'm definitely interested. If not, still sounds fun.
Of course! I sure wasn't going to short-change the sports questions in favor of other categories.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17

User avatar
Silverman
Lulu
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Silverman » Thu May 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Silverman wrote:I have a packet of 20 tossups on things I enjoy. It's roughly a normal trash distribution, but with a larger component of "other" and slightly less TV/movies/music. I'll be reading it in the IRC this Thursday, May 18, at 22:30 EDT if anyone's interested. Difficulty is rather variable.
Pushing this back to 23:30 EDT in hopes that MASSOLIT will be over by then.

EDIT: Happening now, even though MASSOLIT isn't over. I'll do another reading if there's sufficient interest.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17

User avatar
Silverman
Lulu
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Silverman » Fri May 19, 2017 12:29 am

Silverman wrote:
Silverman wrote:I have a packet of 20 tossups on things I enjoy. It's roughly a normal trash distribution, but with a larger component of "other" and slightly less TV/movies/music. I'll be reading it in the IRC this Thursday, May 18, at 22:30 EDT if anyone's interested. Difficulty is rather variable.
This happened. Naveed won. Scores below, packet attached (now with an excellent backronym thanks to Aakash).

Code: Select all

Player                Total
Naveed Chowdhury        100
Aakash Patel             40
Stephen Eltinge          25
Dylan Minarik            20
Sam Rombro               10
Jeremy Tsai              10
Kenji Shimizu             5
Ryan Bilger               5
Harris Bunker            -5
Victor Prieto            -5
Attachments
SILVERMAN vanity packet.pdf
(180.17 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
SILVERMAN vanity packet.docx
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17

User avatar
CPiGuy
Rikku
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by CPiGuy » Fri May 19, 2017 8:32 pm

I have written a packet to which the answers are all positive real integers. It will contain some number of questions which is more than 15. I will read it tomorrow (Saturday, May 20) in the IRC at 9PM Eastern.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is not a math packet. Very few of the clues are math.
Last edited by CPiGuy on Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by jonah » Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 pm

CPiGuy wrote:real integers
When is your Gaussian integers packet being played?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

sambrochin
Wakka
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by sambrochin » Sat May 20, 2017 11:28 am

jonah wrote:When is your Gaussian integers packet being played?
I guess you watched that 3Blue1Brown video too
Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School
2016 and 2017 HSNCT National Champion
2017 Sports and Entertainment Bee National Champion
I also write packets
Go Mets

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by jonah » Sat May 20, 2017 12:56 pm

sambrochin wrote:
jonah wrote:When is your Gaussian integers packet being played?
I guess you watched that 3Blue1Brown video too
I have no idea what that is.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

sambrochin
Wakka
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by sambrochin » Sat May 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Yesterday, this math-based Youtube channel released a video that pretty heavily used Gaussian integers, so that was in the front of my mind. Great channel, everyone should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaL_Cb42WyY
Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School
2016 and 2017 HSNCT National Champion
2017 Sports and Entertainment Bee National Champion
I also write packets
Go Mets

User avatar
CPiGuy
Rikku
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by CPiGuy » Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 pm

CPiGuy wrote:I have written a packet to which the answers are all positive real integers. It will contain some number of questions which is more than 15. I will read it tomorrow (Saturday, May 20) in the IRC at 9PM Eastern.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is not a math packet. Very few of the clues are math.
So, I will be reading this as planned in 15-20 minutes on the IRC. There are now 20 questions.
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20

User avatar
CPiGuy
Rikku
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by CPiGuy » Sat May 20, 2017 10:32 pm

CPiGuy wrote:
CPiGuy wrote:I have written a packet to which the answers are all positive real integers. It will contain some number of questions which is more than 15. I will read it tomorrow (Saturday, May 20) in the IRC at 9PM Eastern.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is not a math packet. Very few of the clues are math.
So, I will be reading this as planned in 15-20 minutes on the IRC. There are now 20 questions.
This happened. Scores:

Jon Pinyan 60 2/3/0
Sameer Apte 25 1/1/0
Aakash Patel 15 0/2/1
Kenji Shimizu 15 1/0/0
Mike Cheyne 15 1/0/0
Chris Manners 10 1/0/1
Naveed Chowdhury 10 1/0/1
Sam Rombro 10 0/1/0
Ricky Rivera 10 0/1/0
Eric from Berkeley 10 0/1/0
Steven Silverman -5 0/0/1
Attachments
Numberspacket.pdf
(146.23 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20

User avatar
Red Panda Cub
Wakka
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Red Panda Cub » Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 am

Tornrak wrote:
Short-beaked echidna wrote:I'm writing an extremely hard packet about early church history, available from Sunday.
Was this finished? Is anyone else interested in playing this?
Sorry, it got put on the backburner due to finals. I'll write it for early summer.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17

User avatar
jasongg17
Wakka
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by jasongg17 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 am

Would anybody be interested in playing a packet of super-hard pre 20th-century Japanese history and/or a packet of stupidly hard Ethiopian and Somali history? I was thinking of writing them for fun and to lock some cool stuff that doesn't come up much in quiz bowl into my head and then figured I might as well see anybody might want to play them.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18

User avatar
An Economic Ignoramus
Memerator
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: East Lansing, MI or Naperville, IL

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by An Economic Ignoramus » Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 pm

jasongg17 wrote:Would anybody be interested in playing a packet of super-hard pre 20th-century Japanese history and/or a packet of stupidly hard Ethiopian and Somali history? I was thinking of writing them for fun and to lock some cool stuff that doesn't come up much in quiz bowl into my head and then figured I might as well see anybody might want to play them.
I'd play both of these.
Jakob Myers
MSU '21, Naperville North '17
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Member, PACE
Memerator

User avatar
anderson
Lulu
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by anderson » Sat May 27, 2017 4:13 am

A while ago, I wrote ~17 silly bonuses for my Festivus music packet that didn't get played (the content is pretty similar to the tossups, which you can find in the Festivus packet list; it's mostly recent indie music), so if people are interested I could read them sometime. I'll tentatively schedule this for 6 PM PST this upcoming Monday in the quizbowl Discord, but let me know if you're interested and would prefer some other time, since I imagine there isn't a very large audience.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16

User avatar
Guile Island
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Guile Island » Sun May 28, 2017 11:34 pm

I am going to write a packet on Vine. It will probably be very niche/vanity, but if people want to hear it in the IRC i'd be more than pleased to do a reading at some point.
Dylan Minarik
PACE Director of Communications

Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer

User avatar
ThisIsMyUsername
Yuna
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by ThisIsMyUsername » Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 am

I'm planning on reading my annual Before & After packet sometime this week--either in the IRC or Discord, depending on what is the more done thing these days. If it would be convenient for interested participants, I'm leaning towards 10 PM Eastern on Wednesday the 31st.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '19

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
anderson
Lulu
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by anderson » Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 pm

anderson wrote:A while ago, I wrote ~17 silly bonuses for my Festivus music packet that didn't get played (the content is pretty similar to the tossups, which you can find in the Festivus packet list; it's mostly recent indie music), so if people are interested I could read them sometime. I'll tentatively schedule this for 6 PM PST this upcoming Monday in the quizbowl Discord, but let me know if you're interested and would prefer some other time, since I imagine there isn't a very large audience.
This happened, and a group of people scored an impressive 400 (I think) out of 570 possible points. The packet is attached.

Also, right afterwards I read some video game tossups and bonuses that I wrote last year for a HS trash tournament, so those are attached as well.
Attachments
vg_packet.docx
(148.14 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
festivus_music_bonuses.docx
(143.47 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16

User avatar
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: Falls Church, VA

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue May 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Sit Room Guy wrote:
jasongg17 wrote:Would anybody be interested in playing a packet of super-hard pre 20th-century Japanese history and/or a packet of stupidly hard Ethiopian and Somali history? I was thinking of writing them for fun and to lock some cool stuff that doesn't come up much in quiz bowl into my head and then figured I might as well see anybody might want to play them.
I'd play both of these.
same
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16
"...should be treated as the non-stakeholding troll he is" -Matt Weiner

User avatar
Pablo Picasso 2
Lulu
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 am

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Pablo Picasso 2 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:48 pm

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:I'm planning on reading my annual Before & After packet sometime this week--either in the IRC or Discord, depending on what is the more done thing these days. If it would be convenient for interested participants, I'm leaning towards 10 PM Eastern on Wednesday the 31st.
This is happening right? On the IRC?
Jeremy "JJ" Tsai
Rutgers 2018
President

User avatar
ThisIsMyUsername
Yuna
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by ThisIsMyUsername » Wed May 31, 2017 8:32 pm

geremy wrote:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote:I'm planning on reading my annual Before & After packet sometime this week--either in the IRC or Discord, depending on what is the more done thing these days. If it would be convenient for interested participants, I'm leaning towards 10 PM Eastern on Wednesday the 31st.
This is happening right? On the IRC?
Yes and yes.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '19

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Cheynem » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:24 pm

In John's packet, Andrew Wang won by 5 points over Jordan Brownstein, a win secured when Jordan buzzed in and attempted to withdraw but was negged.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

Eddie
Rikku
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Eddie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:43 pm

I will be reading João this Sunday evening at 6 PM Pacific / 9 PM Eastern. Let me know if you're interested.
Eddie Kim
he/him/his
local lad, no major affiliations

User avatar
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Tidus
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Eddie wrote:I will be reading João this Sunday evening at 6 PM Pacific / 9 PM Eastern. Let me know if you're interested.
Yeah sure
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10, Northwestern B '14

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight

User avatar
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Doga (Dog Yoga) » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:29 am

Eddie wrote:I will be reading João this Sunday evening at 6 PM Pacific / 9 PM Eastern. Let me know if you're interested.
is there any way we could do a time that doesn't conflict with the NBA finals?
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17

Eddie
Rikku
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Eddie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:57 am

Doga (Dog Yoga) wrote:
Eddie wrote:I will be reading João this Sunday evening at 6 PM Pacific / 9 PM Eastern. Let me know if you're interested.
is there any way we could do a time that doesn't conflict with the NBA finals?
This is already on fairly short notice, so I don't want to change up the time again unless a lot of people want to, sorry. It shouldn't take more than twenty (20) or so minutes so hopefufy you can still join us.
Eddie Kim
he/him/his
local lad, no major affiliations

Eddie
Rikku
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Eddie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Eddie wrote:I will be reading João this Sunday evening at 6 PM Pacific / 9 PM Eastern. Let me know if you're interested.
A reminder that this is happening in about an hour on the Discord server.
Eddie Kim
he/him/his
local lad, no major affiliations

User avatar
Silverman
Lulu
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Silverman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:17 pm

In honor of the 20th anniversary, I'll read my half-packet of Harry Potter tossups in the IRC at 11 EDT tonight. These are the same ones that were played during Festivus, but hopefully there are still a few interested people who haven't heard them.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17

User avatar
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Tidus
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Silverman wrote:In honor of the 20th anniversary, I'll read my half-packet of Harry Potter tossups in the IRC at 11 EDT tonight. These are the same ones that were played during Festivus, but hopefully there are still a few interested people who haven't heard them.
yup
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10, Northwestern B '14

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight

User avatar
Sygyt/Kargyraa
Lulu
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:21 am

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Sygyt/Kargyraa » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:06 pm

I would be interested in getting no questions correct on Jason's Japanese history and Joey's church history.
Zhenglin Liu
University of Toronto MechEng 1T9, Engineering Science dropout

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Cheynem » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:59 pm

I'll read the goofy film packet I wrote for Michigan's practice tomorrow night at 8 EST. I will also have some "film music" (actually film score/music/composer questions, not music in film this time) tossups as well.

Edit: Details

Goofy film packet is 25 shortish tossups, mostly genre/stupid things that I find amusing
Film music packet is 25 tossups about film scores, pieces of music, and composers. The hardest questions will probably be a few on film composers.

I'll read the goofy film packet first for the handful of folks who already heard it and want to hear the second one (Saul?).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

Post Reply