British High School Quiz Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

British High School Quiz Bowl

Post by AKKOLADE »

Is there any? Is there any that isn't outright "University Challenge" levels of bad?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Re: British High School Quiz Bowl

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

A year ago, a coach in Surrey sent me an email that mentioned the following:

"Although the American quizbowl format isn't popular here in Britain, I frequently use previous ACF tournaments in our practice sessions, so my students are familiar with the format."

I have no conclusions to draw from this, and my attempt at finding out more was greeted with a (probably accidental) blank email.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

There was a History Bowl tournament in London last year and there will be again this year.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Yeah, we recruited in England a few months ago. Nolwenn and I visited something like 12 schools in and around London, so we're expecting about 10-20 teams at our History Bee and Bowl of Britain later this school year. Details here: http://www.ihbbeurope.com/regionalsite/britain/
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Also, fwiw, University Challenge itself is actually pretty good as far as quizshows go. IIRC, you can interrupt the moderator, and the questions, while not pyramidal by any real stretch, are far more challenging than the usual US high school quizshow level. And yet, somehow it's still popular on a national basis. Quizshow producers in the USA should take a cue or two from this.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
anarresti
Kimahri

Post by anarresti »

"Is there any that isn't outright "University Challenge" levels of bad?"

You imply that UC is at a low level of "badness". What makes you say this?
Andy B
Beijing Language Institute '81
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

anarresti wrote:"Is there any that isn't outright "University Challenge" levels of bad?"

You imply that UC is at a low level of "badness". What makes you say this?

User was reminded to enable a signature.
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but University Challenge seems to not be very good quiz bowl.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

As a regular watcher of University Challenge, I will not say that it is amazing quizbowl, but the format and variance of questions follow the general format we associate with good quizbowl. The questions are in a quasi-pyramidal format, but from what I have seen, barring a few examples, the best team usually wins, not the team fastest on the buzzers.
And it is head and shoulders above :chip: levels of quizbowl that I have read about or watched.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Is Oxford (or anyone else) planning on running any all-subject high school or middle school events in the UK this year? If so, let me know so we can coordinate outreach.
David Madden