Test a new question management system?

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
Dominator
Tidus

Test a new question management system?

Post by Dominator »

I have made a question management system to facilitate collecting and editing questions and creating PDF packets (through customizable LaTeX) for quizbowl tournaments. It is derived from the Packetizor system used by the various incarnations of NHBB and also by SCOP.

If you are interested in using this system, please email/PM me. I am particularly interested in people who would be able to give feedback or articulate feature requests. (At some point in the future, I'd like to make it capable of handling packet-sub events, but for now, it is meant for housewrites.) It would be ideal for a team putting together a small tournament, like a summer side event.

There is (and will be) no cost for using the system. As a bonus, by using the system, you'll learn NHBB's trade secrets.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Test a new question management system?

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I'd like to publicly express my undying happiness with Packetizor; it's by far the biggest reason I've been able to keep my sanity while putting together three regular season NHBB sets + NHBB Nationals at the same time. It's a magnificent system, and it's fantastic even if you have only one tournament to do at a time.

Do you want to easily Ctrl-F search your entire set to see if a clue has been used already? Packetizor makes that easy.
Do you want to automatically track how many questions each writer has contributed to a set? Packetizor has a page for that.
Do you want to easily packetize with a simple button-clicking process that makes it impossible to double-use a question and impossible to print a finalized set with missing questions? Obviously, Packetizor has you covered here. It'd be a stupid name otherwise.
Dominator wrote:As a bonus, by using the system, you'll learn NHBB's trade secrets.
*Most of NHBB's trade secrets; unless I'm mistaken, Noah doesn't have, and therefore can't illicitly hard-code in, my nachos recipe or Madden's top ten tips for getting Anderson buzzer sets through airport security.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)