Quiz Bowl Search Engine

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
whaatt
Lulu

Quiz Bowl Search Engine

Post by whaatt »

So it appears that finding stop-gap measures for Quizbowl DB has become my new hobby. With that, I present to you Untitled: A Quiz Bowl Search Engine. Since QBDB has been down for a while now, it's become hard to research tossups and study for tournaments, and I figured something to suffice until QBDB comes back up would be good. It's not super complete in terms of searching features, but if there's interest, I'll develop.

You can check it out at http://www.skalon.com/untitled, and view the source code at https://github.com/whaatt/Untitled. By the way, this will be called Untitled until someone can suggest to me a nice name. Your ideas are greatly appreciated with this or anything else for that matter. Thanks!
Sanjay Kannan
Raleigh Charter 2014
Stanford University 2018
kevink
Lulu

Re: Quiz Bowl Search Engine

Post by kevink »

Cool!

It took a while to figure out that the search bar was that green bar below all the text. It's fine to eschew the default styling, I think that's a rather nice way to keep search subtle, but I'd suggest that you put some placeholder text so that people can discover that they're actually supposed to type there. Also, I'd be worried about scalability since it looks like you're scanning/loading/parsing the entire database on every request.
Kevin Kwok
Annandale High School 2013
MIT 2017
whaatt
Lulu

Post by whaatt »

kevink wrote:It took a while to figure out that the search bar was that green bar below all the text. It's fine to eschew the default styling, I think that's a rather nice way to keep search subtle, but I'd suggest that you put some placeholder text so that people can discover that they're actually supposed to type there. Also, I'd be worried about scalability since it looks like you're scanning/loading/parsing the entire database on every request.
Weird, I had placeholder text at some point; not entirely sure when/why I removed it. And yeah, the JSON scan/load/parse thing is only until I get around to writing a script for loading that file into an SQL database -- which will allow me to create more advanced searches, as well. Thanks for the feedback!
Sanjay Kannan
Raleigh Charter 2014
Stanford University 2018
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Looks pretty cool. I would suggest having a feature that enables users to look at multiple questions at a time, like Quizbowl DB does.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
whaatt
Lulu

Post by whaatt »

pk14ster wrote:Looks pretty cool. I would suggest having a feature that enables users to look at multiple questions at a time, like Quizbowl DB does.
I'm certainly considering this. Thanks for the suggestion! BTW, Quizbowl DB is right back up again. That means I don't plan to devote much time to this in the short term, though I will work on it as a side project for periods when QBDB is down. It will remain perpetually up on my servers.
Sanjay Kannan
Raleigh Charter 2014
Stanford University 2018
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

pk14ster wrote:Looks pretty cool. I would suggest having a feature that enables users to look at multiple questions at a time, like Quizbowl DB does.
This would be very very very helpful, if you have time to do it.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Well, the Quizbowl DB has been down for 3 weeks now. Is there any chance of getting this project revived?

EDIT: And... now it's back up. Well, I suppose that's convenient. :P
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
whaatt
Lulu

Post by whaatt »

Corry wrote:Well, the Quizbowl DB has been down for 3 weeks now. Is there any chance of getting this project revived?
I'll certainly put it on my TODO list! When I made this, I had no intent of providing a strong viable alternative to QBDB, but if these sorts of outages seem to continue, I'll put in more work than the one hour of crude coding I had done previously. Keep posted here for updates.
Sanjay Kannan
Raleigh Charter 2014
Stanford University 2018
whaatt
Lulu

Post by whaatt »

whaatt wrote:
Corry wrote:Well, the Quizbowl DB has been down for 3 weeks now. Is there any chance of getting this project revived?
I'll certainly put it on my TODO list! When I made this, I had no intent of providing a strong viable alternative to QBDB, but if these sorts of outages seem to continue, I'll put in more work than the one hour of crude coding I had done previously. Keep posted here for updates.
Rohit from Bassett HS just posted his QB search engine, Quinterest, on the forum. I figured it'd probably be counterproductive at this point to update Untitled and create a competitor, and instead I'm probably going to see what I can do to help that project out. However, this project will never be totally abandoned, and I might just finish it anyway or revive it if need be.
Sanjay Kannan
Raleigh Charter 2014
Stanford University 2018