Torrey Pines Quizbowl Database

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Torrey Pines Quizbowl Database

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but if you could hook into the Search API for something like Google or Bing you could potentially leverage their vast database of spell checking to be more lenient about misspelled answers.

Also, what's the logic behind using String.Contains rather than String.Equals?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Mike Bentley wrote:I'm not sure how feasible this is, but if you could hook into the Search API for something like Google or Bing you could potentially leverage their vast database of spell checking to be more lenient about misspelled answers.
Good idea.
Mike Bentley wrote:Also, what's the logic behind using String.Contains rather than String.Equals?
The answer strings are stored in the database as whatever the packet writer wrote them as. Therefore, they will contain more information than necessary (longer names, alternate answers, prompts, etc.). A String.equals would necessitate that whoever answered it said exactly what the packet writer wrote after "ANSWER:", which is nearly impossible. String.contains is a quick and dirty solution to this problem. It gives more leeway for the answers. However, it'll allow people to put in troll answers like "", and "a," but if they do know what the answer is, they'll get it right, which is what I was aiming for at first.

Now, I think we need a better approach. Perhaps a combination of some autocorrection via search APIs with a split, then String.equals.
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
Creator of Quizbowl DB: http://www.quizbowldb.com
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

sharadmv wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I'm not sure how feasible this is, but if you could hook into the Search API for something like Google or Bing you could potentially leverage their vast database of spell checking to be more lenient about misspelled answers.
Good idea.
Mike Bentley wrote:Also, what's the logic behind using String.Contains rather than String.Equals?
The answer strings are stored in the database as whatever the packet writer wrote them as. Therefore, they will contain more information than necessary (longer names, alternate answers, prompts, etc.). A String.equals would necessitate that whoever answered it said exactly what the packet writer wrote after "ANSWER:", which is nearly impossible. String.contains is a quick and dirty solution to this problem. It gives more leeway for the answers. However, it'll allow people to put in troll answers like "", and "a," but if they do know what the answer is, they'll get it right, which is what I was aiming for at first.

Now, I think we need a better approach. Perhaps a combination of some autocorrection via search APIs with a split, then String.equals.
The way that the parser for the scobowl bot got around this is by only requiring that you input something that matched and underlined answer. It gets a little tricky when people have answer lines like ANSWER: _Pugachev's_ Rebellion [accept "Revolution" for Rebellion], though.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Is this blacked out in protest of SOPA too or does my internet just suck?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Tommy Tutone 2 wrote:Is this blacked out in protest of SOPA too or does my internet just suck?
Considering this link is posted on that page, yeah, it's probably "in solidarity" or something.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
hearttheartist
Kimahri

Post by hearttheartist »

I tried to use the database today and yesterday multiple times, but it isn't generating any questions. I click "Generate" and it loads for a bit, but no tossups come up. Also, I've tried to create an account multiple times, but each time I try to login, it says "login failed". So I don't know if it's my computer or the website itself. I'm really anxious to try it out for myself & my team to study. Thanks!
Jessica - Beck Junior High
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

Check out the post called "Quizbowl Central." Hopefully that will solve your problem.
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
Creator of Quizbowl DB: http://www.quizbowldb.com
JGargiulo
Lulu

Post by JGargiulo »

Any solutions to this error I've been having when trying to access the new website?

503 - OCF service unavailable

Web hosting for non-virtual hosts is currently unavailable.

We will post updates on our blog.

Thanks!
Joseph Gargiulo
Kings Park High School '13
Varsity Captain '12-'13
JV Captain '10-'12
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

JGargiulo wrote:Any solutions to this error I've been having when trying to access the new website?

503 - OCF service unavailable

Web hosting for non-virtual hosts is currently unavailable.

We will post updates on our blog.

Thanks!
This is being discussed in the Quizbowl Central thread.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF