QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

The scariest thing of all is Protobowl

QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby A Very Long Math Tossup » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi everyone,

As many of you know, NAQT allows you to receive email notifications for nearby tournament announcements. The hsquizbowl.org database, however, does not offer such a service, which is why I decided to make one.

The site is at qbnotify.msmitchell.org, and the code is available here. It's a very rough prototype, and I'm open to any suggestions about how to improve it.

Thanks to Alex Damisch for the idea!
Matt Mitchell
Colorado '20
Treasure Valley '16
QBNotify
Colorado Quiz Bowl
PACE
User avatar
A Very Long Math Tossup
Lulu
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby tksaleija » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Firstly, awesome idea! Second, upon trying to use my college email to set up an account (.edu), I received a prompt saying that the email address was invalid. I'm not sure if it's because it isn't a traditional email server, but I might suggest including non-traditional emails like that.
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby A Very Long Math Tossup » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:04 pm

tksaleija wrote:Firstly, awesome idea! Second, upon trying to use my college email to set up an account (.edu), I received a prompt saying that the email address was invalid. I'm not sure if it's because it isn't a traditional email server, but I might suggest including non-traditional emails like that.


Hmm. I was able to use .edu addresses just fine when testing. It might be a bug in Flask-Security's email parsing. Post or PM me your address and I'll do some debugging.
Matt Mitchell
Colorado '20
Treasure Valley '16
QBNotify
Colorado Quiz Bowl
PACE
User avatar
A Very Long Math Tossup
Lulu
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby tksaleija » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm

A Very Long Math Tossup wrote:
tksaleija wrote:Firstly, awesome idea! Second, upon trying to use my college email to set up an account (.edu), I received a prompt saying that the email address was invalid. I'm not sure if it's because it isn't a traditional email server, but I might suggest including non-traditional emails like that.


Hmm. I was able to use .edu addresses just fine when testing. It might be a bug in Flask-Security's email parsing. Post or PM me your address and I'll do some debugging.


I tried it again and it either fixed itself or I typed it wrong. All good now!
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby A Very Long Math Tossup » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 pm

OK, so the notifications weren't going out for a couple days because the scraper was timing out. It's fixed now.
Matt Mitchell
Colorado '20
Treasure Valley '16
QBNotify
Colorado Quiz Bowl
PACE
User avatar
A Very Long Math Tossup
Lulu
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby Aaron's Rod » Tue May 01, 2018 5:19 pm

1. This rocks and you rock. (And you were very kind to mention me!) It's one thing to have an idea about a useful quizbowl technology, it's another thing altogether to bite the bullet and put it together. The world needs more Matt Mitchells.

2. This obviously only works well if tournament hosts put their tournaments on the HSQuizbowl database with a usable address. I'm hardly the first to harp on that, but we need to stay diligent about it. People (myself included) are not particularly interested in digging through announcement threads.

3. I know embarrassingly little about how the hsquizbowl sites are maintained--is it possible to get a link to this put on the DB website, even if it's just in small print next to "more search options"?

4. Suggestions: You should probably change your unit of measurement from "meters" to "miles" or at the very least "kilometers." It would also be nice if I could input a ZIP or address instead of having to look up my lat/lon. Americans have a pretty poor sense of how many meters they'd be willing to travel for a tournament. This or this may be useful to you (disclaimer––I haven't personally used either). Also, you've got a trailing space between the email and the period on the logged-in page.
Alex D.
Lawrence University B.A., B.Mus. '16 // DePaul University M.S. '18
Director of Communications, PACE // Provisional Member, ACF // Writer, NAQT
User avatar
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby jonah » Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Aaron's Rod wrote:It would also be nice if I could input a ZIP or address instead of having to look up my lat/lon. Americans have a pretty poor sense of how many meters they'd be willing to travel for a tournament. This or this may be useful to you (disclaimer––I haven't personally used either).
The Google Maps API can geocode things for you. (It's what NAQT uses.) At the scale it would be used here, it should be free.

edit: I now see that one of the things Alex linked to is a Python library for doing just that.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby A Very Long Math Tossup » Tue May 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Great suggestions!

I'm already using Google Maps for geocoding, since address formatting is pretty inconsistent between tournaments. It should be pretty straightforward to support address entry, though I might have to implement some rate-limiting.
Matt Mitchell
Colorado '20
Treasure Valley '16
QBNotify
Colorado Quiz Bowl
PACE
User avatar
A Very Long Math Tossup
Lulu
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby A Very Long Math Tossup » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 am

Users can now specify units, and address entry is coming soon (now that finals are done, I actually have time to work on the site).
Matt Mitchell
Colorado '20
Treasure Valley '16
QBNotify
Colorado Quiz Bowl
PACE
User avatar
A Very Long Math Tossup
Lulu
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: QBNotify: A email notification system for tournaments

Postby I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell) » Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Aaron's Rod wrote:3. I know embarrassingly little about how the hsquizbowl sites are maintained--is it possible to get a link to this put on the DB website, even if it's just in small print next to "more search options"?


I'll see what I can do about this.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
User avatar
I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell)
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: Bellefonte, PA


Return to Databases and Quizbowl Software

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest