ReadIT - an audio quizbowl reader

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
ashwin99
Lulu

ReadIT - an audio quizbowl reader

Post by ashwin99 »

Hey, I made a test website called ReadIT, which reads quizbowl tossups to you. You can check it out here: http://epicfaace.github.io/readit/

Rather than try to mess around with computer-generated audio, it uses human recordings of each tossup.

I think this would be useful in situations such as practice -- practicing with the audio is much more realistic than just reading packets by yourself. It could even be used in practices with multiple people if you don't have someone to spare to read.

It could maybe even be used in tournaments, as then you won't need a moderator who is necessarily good at reading -- all they will need to do is play the audio and make sure the answer is correct (and pause the audio when someone buzzes).

Right now, the website only has the first three tossups from the 2015 PACE NSC, as a test. I can envision people recording "audio versions" of sets and uploading them to a central database. What do you think about this idea?

Note: This website is also on GitHub at https://github.com/epicfaace/readit
Ashwin Ramaswami
Communications Director, ACF (2018-2019)
Stanford University (2017-2021), Chattahoochee High School (2013-2017)

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.
ezubaric
Rikku

Re: ReadIT - an audio quizbowl reader

Post by ezubaric »

I think this would make a great Android / iOS app, particularly if you could hook up forced Viterbi alignment to verify answers so that someone could play quiz bowl while jogging or walking.

Then you could build up the set of recorded questions by asking them to record a question for every N questions that they listened to.
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

ezubaric wrote:Then you could build up the set of recorded questions by asking them to record a question for every N questions that they listened to.
Ideally not while jogging!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ashwin99
Lulu

Post by ashwin99 »

ezubaric wrote:I think this would make a great Android / iOS app, particularly if you could hook up forced Viterbi alignment to verify answers so that someone could play quiz bowl while jogging or walking.

Then you could build up the set of recorded questions by asking them to record a question for every N questions that they listened to.
That might work, but for consistency, it would probably be better if each packet is only recorded by one person.

I was thinking that this would also be useful in practices — especially if you only have a couple people and can't spare someone to read. What do you think?
Ashwin Ramaswami

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

ashwin99 wrote:That might work, but for consistency, it would probably be better if each packet is only recorded by one person.
There's probably a way to do it so that you incrementally build up a reading of a packet over time (or give a bonus if someone reads a whole packet). I think it's best to start out with small requests and build up (there's a theory in the UI community about this sort of thing).
ashwin99 wrote:I was thinking that this would also be useful in practices — especially if you only have a couple people and can't spare someone to read. What do you think?
Yes, of course!
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
bluejay123
Lulu

Post by bluejay123 »

ashwin99 wrote: It could maybe even be used in tournaments, as then you won't need a moderator who is necessarily good at reading -- all they will need to do is play the audio and make sure the answer is correct (and pause the audio when someone buzzes).
It seems like a good idea to me, but a lot of work is required to enact it.
Jaya Alagar
ashwin99
Lulu

Post by ashwin99 »

The website UI has been updated and more questions have been added. I would appreciate any feedback on the design and any bug reports.
Ashwin Ramaswami

kyamakawa
Lulu

Post by kyamakawa »

Hi,
I love this app, but it would be great if there was a speed control and a answer line button alongside perhaps a "reveal the question" widget so that it could help with studying those things. I would love to see this app expand!
Koh Yamakawa
Dublin Scioto '16
Columbia University
Vice President at Columbia '17
ashwin99
Lulu

Post by ashwin99 »

kyamakawa wrote:Hi,
I love this app, but it would be great if there was a speed control and a answer line button alongside perhaps a "reveal the question" widget so that it could help with studying those things. I would love to see this app expand!
That's a good idea, but the "reveal the question" would probably require some sort of integration with the Quinterest database.
Ashwin Ramaswami

tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Are the PACE and Cali packets the only ones currently available?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
ashwin99
Lulu

Post by ashwin99 »

tksaleija wrote:Are the PACE and Cali packets the only ones currently available?
As of now they are, but if anyone would like to read packets and send me the recordings (each tossup and each bonus should be a separate file) I would add them to the website.
Ashwin Ramaswami