MSOCT II NAQT MS-18 Columbus, Ohio 4/9/2016 OQBA

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
crbirdx

MSOCT II NAQT MS-18 Columbus, Ohio 4/9/2016 OQBA

Post by crbirdx »

You are cordially invited to the 2nd annual MSOCT (MS OHIO Championship Tournament) (NAQT-MS-18) @ St. Charles Prep HS in Columbus, Ohio on Saturday April 9th, 2016. The initial field cap will be 16 teams, but I will try to open that up if there is interest and I can secure enough competent readers. We have decided to wait list B/C teams since we only have 8 rooms.

Teams will be broken into 2 preliminary brackets of 8 teams each and will play round robin. At the conclusion of morning play, teams will be re-bracketed into 4 brackets of 4 to play another match with similar teams, with the top 2 teams at the conclusion of afternoon play for the tournament championship if needed. Every team will be guaranteed 8 rounds. There will be at least one MSNCT bid awarded.

FEES:
First Team: $50
Each Additional Team: $40
BUZZER DISCOUNT: -$5 per buzzer system, limit one per team that you are bringing.
MODERATOR DISCOUNT: -$10 for a competent moderator. Please let me know in advance if you are planning to claim this discount.
If your team has not played a pyramidal tournament between September 1, 2012 and September 1, 2015, you automatically qualify for the minimum entry fee of $40.
MINIMUM Fee: $40
If your team has economic hardships please email me and explain the situation and we can accommodate for further discounts if needed.

To register: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14ESnM9 ... =send_form

or for more information, please email cortney_bird [AT] olsd [DOT] us. I hope to see you in Columbus this April!

BONUS ANNOUNCEMENT: For those of you with high school teams, Alex Connor from St. Charles will be running the NAQT High School State Championship on the same day, also on site at St. Charles. You can email him at connor.alexATgoogle.com for more information.
crbirdx

Re: MSOCT II NAQT MS-18 Columbus, Ohio 4/9/2016 OQBA

Post by crbirdx »

The tournament is full and here are the brackets:

Bracket Northwest Territory
Burneson B
Cloverleaf A
Edgewood A
Garfield B
Hyatts A
Miami Valley A
St. Mary’s B
Van Wert A

Bracket Western Reserve
Burneson A
Copley A
Garfield A
Harvest Prep A
Heritage Classical A
Kenton A
Miami Valley B
St. Mary’s A
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We lost a few to the snow. Here are the prelims:

http://neg5.org/t/4Je3k9GaJb/stats/team?phase=Ek2kqMp1-

Here are the playoffs:

http://neg5.org/t/4Je3k9GaJb/stats/team?phase=E1jqnRT1W

Combined:

http://neg5.org/t/4Je3k9GaJb/stats/team?phase=1

After 5 rounds:
1. Miami Valley A
2. Olentangy Hyatts A
3. Heritage Classical A
4. Edgewood A
5. Miami Valley B
6. St. Mary's A
7. Harvest Prep A
8. Van Wert A
9. St. Mary's B
10. Kenton A
Last edited by crbirdx on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

After all was said and done Miami Valley repeated their state title with their only loss to Hyatts. The final match was Miami Valley A 390 and Hyatts 370. Congratulations to Tyler and the MV crew.

1. Miami Valley A
2. Olentangy Hyatts A
3. Edgewood A
4. Heritage Classical A
5. Miami Valley B
6. St. Mary's A
7. Van Wert A
8. Harvest Prep A
9. St. Mary's B
10. Kenton A
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

crbirdx wrote:There will be at least one MSNCT bid awarded.
For clarity: middle school state championships do not have the "there is always at least new nationals qualifier" rule we use for high school events. (That being said, we welcome wildcard bids from teams interested in attending MSNCT.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred