Jr. Wildcat VI at Northwestern (3/7/15)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Jr. Wildcat VI at Northwestern (3/7/15)

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Northwestern Quizbowl is pleased to announce another edition of the annual Jr. Wildcat middle school tournament to be held on Saturday, March 7, 2015. This tournament is restricted to students from grades 6-8. I, Dylan Minarik, am serving as director of this tournament for the first time.

Location: Jr. Wildcat will take place, as usual, on the Evanston campus of Northwestern. This year, the tournament will be held in Locy and Fisk Halls, which are directly adjacent to the Lakeside Parking Structure. Here is an interactive campus map for those who need it.

Question Set and Format: We have been given use of NAQT MS-13 for this tournament. The only place this set is being used in Illinois is for the Leyden-Norwood conference, so any team not participating in the Leyden-Norwood conference can register. Format will be 4-v-4 with 20 tossups, 20 bonuses, powers and negs. There will be no computational math. Format is TBA, but we would like to guarantee 8 to 10 games per team. Teams agree to play all guaranteed games when they register.

Prices and Payment:

The fee structure is as follows:
$90 per team
-$5 for a fully functioning buzzer set. Limited to 2.
-$15 for a moderator. Moderators must be able to finish a round in at least 30 minutes. I will also take one staffer discount for a statskeeper.

Register for this tournament by sending me an e-mail indicating how many teams, buzzers, and staffers you will bring. My e-mail is minarik15 at gmail dot com
You can pay for this tournament on the competition day by cash or check. We also accept checks by mail: please mail all checks to 1999 Campus Drive, Box #40, Evanston, IL, 60208. Please make all checks out to "Northwestern University."

Current Field: CLOSED
Keith Country Day x1
Sunset Ridge x2
St. Thomas of Canterbury x1
(Rockford) Marshall x3
St. Mary's Visitation x2
Barrington Station x4
Barrington Prairie x2
St. Raymond x1
Quest x2
Daniel Wright x2
(Deerfield) Holy Cross x1
Metcalf x2
St. Thecla x1

Waitlist:
Nobody!

Field is current as of 02/25/15

Due to room limitations, the current field is capped at 24 teams. If there is overwhelming demand and I have enough capable moderators, I will expand the field, but this would require the tournament to be held across 2 different buildings.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Harpie's Feather Duster

Re: Jr. Wildcat VI at Northwestern (3/7/15)

The field has reached its cap and is now closed. I've added a waitlist for now.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

The Formiddable Dark Skeik
Lulu

Post by The Formiddable Dark Skeik »

Dylan, you have one moderator right here. I will be coming with the Station team, so give them the discount. Where will the moderator meeting be?
Peter Chmiel
Former Station Middle School Player (2011-2014)
Barrington High School Player (2015-2018)

"You are hereby charged that you did, on diverse dates, commit heresy against the Holy Church'"
-Cardinal Fang
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I'm there.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Harpie's Feather Duster

The field has been expanded to 18 teams upon realizing that I can simply use tournament central as another game room.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Harpie's Feather Duster

I have secured enough rooms for us to expand to 24 teams. I will almost definitely not be able to expand the field any more, but the waitlist has been emptied.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Harpie's Feather Duster

Congratulations to Quest A for defeating Marshall A in the final, as well as Daniel Wright A for defeating Barrington Station A in a 3rd place game. The tournament went well other than perhaps running a little bit on the slow side.

Special thanks to my staffers, who made this event possible: David Riley, Mike Laudermith, Victor Kluck, Max Rong, Nehal Samra, Jeremy Nelson, Matthew Lehmann, Peter Chmiel, Sunny Chen, James Zhou, Jeff Price, and Jonah Greenthal. In particular, thanks to Jeff for offering to staff a room when we embarrassingly ended up one staffer short the morning of due to miscommunication, and thanks to Jonah for entering in scoresheets and helping me out with logistics and general tournament things.

Stats will be up within a week or so. During my spring break, I will work to get book prizes mailed out to the top scorers.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Ah, the slowness would've been helped with a dedicated control room. We got home about an hour later than planned, which is hardly a travesty. To be sure, the availability of Norris as a lunch option would've helped get us back quicker, too, but that's out of your control. Nonetheless, my players had fun! Thanks for hosting!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
The Formiddable Dark Skeik
Lulu

Post by The Formiddable Dark Skeik »

That was fast Jonah.
Peter Chmiel
Former Station Middle School Player (2011-2014)
Barrington High School Player (2015-2018)

"You are hereby charged that you did, on diverse dates, commit heresy against the Holy Church'"
-Cardinal Fang