Detroit Country Day Middle School Tournament (MS-08) 1/25/14

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
bmcnellen
Lulu

Detroit Country Day Middle School Tournament (MS-08) 1/25/14

Post by bmcnellen »

It is my pleasure to announce formally the second annual Detroit Country Day School Middle School Quiz Bowl Tournament, to be held on Saturday, January 25, 2014. This will be a NAQT untimed event, with 20 tossup/bonus sets per game, using packet MS-08; the top 15% of teams in attendance will qualify for NAQT middle school nationals in Atlanta on May 9-11, 2014.

The tournament will be held at the Detroit Country Day School Upper School campus in Beverly Hills, MI. As of now, there is no cap on the field size, and the exact format of prelim and playoff rounds will be determined once the number of teams is finalized.

The fee schedule will be as follows:

$50 for each of the first two teams from a school; NO CHARGE for each team beyond the second
-$10 per working buzzer system (maximum 2/school)
-$10/team distance discount for travelling over 100 miles one way as per Google Maps

To register, please email me ([email protected]) with the amount of teams/buzzers that you will be bringing.

As is customary in quiz bowl, we’d prefer payment by check on your arrival at the tournament. Please make checks payable to:

Detroit Country Day School Quiz Bowl
22305 West 13 Mile Road
Beverly Hills, MI 48025

Hope to see you on January 25th!
Brad E. McNellen, Ph.D.
Detroit Country Day School
Upper School Latin
Quiz Bowl Head Coach
bmcnellen
Lulu

Re: Detroit Country Day Middle School Tournament (MS-08) 1/25/14

Post by bmcnellen »

Field update as of 12/20 (21 teams):

All Saints A
All Saints B
All Saints C
DCDS A
DCDS B
DCDS C
DCDS D
Quincy A
Quincy B
Quincy C
Quincy D
St. Michael A
St. Michael B
St. Michael C
St. Michael D
St. Patrick A
St. Patrick B
St. Patrick C
St. Patrick D
St. Patrick E
UD Jesuit

Other schools have expressed interest but have yet to reply formally; we'd ideally like to have a field of 24 or 30. If you are interested in attending but have not contacted me yet, please do so at your earliest convenience, as we need to provide for adequate staffing. Please also bring whatever buzzer systems that you can, so that we will be fully covered, especially in case of a malfunctioning system.
Brad E. McNellen, Ph.D.
Upper School Latin
Quiz Bowl Head Coach
bmcnellen
Lulu

Re: Detroit Country Day Middle School Tournament (MS-08) 1/2

Post by bmcnellen »

Although some rough weather forced Quincy to pull out and caused us some staff attrition, we had an excitingly competitive 16-team tournament, with two divisions of eight playing a seven game round-robin, with the entire field then being reclassified into championship and consolation brackets for a single-elimination playoff.

St. Michael A and DCDS A won their divisions with 7-0 records, with DCDS B and DCDS C finishing in the respective second places. These four teams would also be the semifinalists, with the following results:

St. Michael A def. DCDS C 395-85
DCDS B def. DCDS A 310-280

In the finals, DCDS B avenged its only morning loss by defeating St. Michael A 285-155. In the third place game, DCDS A defeated DCDS C 395-245.

In the consolation bracket, All Saints A (who was down to two players because of schedule conflicts) won the final over St. Patrick A by a score of 180-130.

Full results should be posted at the NAQT website in the near future.

Thanks to all teams for participating, and we plan on holding this tournament at roughly the same time next year!
Brad E. McNellen, Ph.D.
Upper School Latin
Quiz Bowl Head Coach
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Detroit Country Day Middle School Tournament (MS-08) 1/2

Post by Important Bird Area »

bmcnellen wrote:Full results should be posted at the NAQT website in the near future.
Complete stats
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred