Bergen Junior 3 (Oct 26, 2013)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
jonpin
Auron

Bergen Junior 3 (Oct 26, 2013)

Post by jonpin »

This is a preliminary announcement for the third annual Bergen Academies Junior Academic Competition, a quiz bowl tournament for junior- or middle-schoolers. This competition will be held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, and is a perfect opportunity for your school’s Gifted and Talented students, BrainBusters team, or any collection of interested students to work together in competition against other middle schools in the region, show off their knowledge, and learn new facts. Our defending champions are Ben Franklin Middle School of Ridgewood, NJ who won Bergen Junior 2 in October 2012.

The games of the competition will be in “tossup-bonus” format. Two teams of four students each will attempt to buzz in to answer a tossup, with a correct answer earning points and the opportunity for the answerer’s team to hear a bonus. On bonuses, a team will have the opportunity to discuss as a group before giving an answer. A game will consist of twenty tossups and however many bonuses are used, and will take approximately 35 minutes. Teams will play roughly 5 games in the morning, followed by a lunch break and playoffs.

The registration fee for this tournament will be $75 for the first team from a school, and $60 for each additional team. A team may consist of up to six students, with four competing at one time (substitutions will be permitted at halftime and between games). Included in the registration fee, BCA will provide a breakfast of bagels and juice before the competition begins, one pizza per team for lunch (additional pies may be purchased), and trophies and medals for the high-performing teams and students. Each school is required to have an adult (either teacher or parent) with each team at all times. Note that teams are to register by school, not by town or school district. Students are eligible if they have not yet completed eighth grade.
National Academic Quiz Tournaments will be writing the questions for this event. NAQT has been writing for high school and college quiz bowl tournaments for more than 15 years and this is their third year writing middle-school questions. No other tournament in New Jersey will have used these questions, nor will use these questions later in the 2013-14 school year. The top 15% of competing teams will qualify to attend NAQT’s fourth annual Middle School National Championship Tournament, to be held in spring 2014.

If you have any questions about this tournament, please contact me at [email protected]. More information to follow.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
romeokar
Wakka

Re: Bergen Junior 3 (Oct/Nov TBA 2013)

Post by romeokar »

I can't say for sure how many teams we will send, but count Middlesex in!
Ken Romeo
Middlesex Middle School
Darien, CT
jonpin
Auron

Re: Bergen Junior 3 (Oct 26, 2013)

Post by jonpin »

I've confirmed that October 26, 2013 is the date for Bergen Junior 3. Hopefully this will establish one tradition (of us running this event the last Saturday in October) and break another (of that weekend featuring historic weather).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Here is the invitation letter being sent out to local schools. Please note the sign-up deadline of the Monday before the tournament. We look forward to receiving your registrations!
Attachments
bca jr letter 2013.docx
(18.38 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Jon Pinyan

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Field update:
Ben Franklin
Briarcliff x4
Eliz. Morrow
Hackensack x2
Hunter NY x2
Independence DE x5
Leonia
Middlesex CT x4
River Dell
Teaneck Comm. Charter x2
Tenafly x3
Warren x2
Current field: 28

The field was expanded to 28 teams and is now closed. All teams will play 5 preliminary games before lunch, and then there will be single elimination playoffs in the afternoon.
Jon Pinyan

Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

Ben Franklin is planning on bringing two teams(registration to follow).
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

How did this go?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Congratulations to The Independence School, who won their second BAJAC title with a 415-240 win over Hunter College High School B in today's championship game. Hunter A took third place over Middlesex Middle School. Teaneck Community Charter won the Bergen County title by being the only local school to make the quarterfinals.
Thank you very much to all of you for coming to our tournament. We look forward to seeing you next fall for Bergen Junior IV. Statistics are being review and compiled, and I will post a link next week with the final standings and individual results. We are aware that there may be some errors in the individual top ten; once we have determined the correct placements, we will order extra medals sent to any student who deserved but did not receive one. Within a few weeks, NAQT should be sending information about MSNCT to teams that finished within the qualification zone. I believe that will be all 8 quarterfinal teams, and I am certain it includes all 4 semifinal teams.

Special thanks go out to Andrew Ibendahl of Mountain Lakes High School for moderating and bringing two buzzer systems; Esther Sun and Jay Syz of Ridgewood High School, plus Marisol Brady for coming to moderate; and David Madden of the National History Bee and Bowl for specially ordering 5 buzzer systems for us to use today. We could not have run this tournament so smoothly without their help. The National History Bee and Bowl has competitions for middle and high school students. For information on the individual Bee, see http://historybee.com and for information on the team Bowl, see http://ms.historybowl.com .

Again, thank you for coming and we look forward to seeing you again next year!
Jon Pinyan

romeokar
Wakka

Post by romeokar »

Great work, as usual, Jon! We look forward to Bergen Junior 4!

Congratulations to Independence! They were truly spectacular!
Ken Romeo
Middlesex Middle School
Darien, CT
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

It's nice to see my old middle school doing well! Any idea when stats will be out? Just wanted to know so that we can seed Independence for our HS tournament this week.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

My statkeeper is sending me the SQBS file so that I can add the playoff/consolation games. In the meantime, I have 50+ tests and 50+ papers to grade. I'm hoping to get the final stats up sometime this week, but not guaranteed.
I can tell you that (despite being two players short for the first 1.5 games) Independence A averaged ~600 PPG and ~25PPB in the prelims, and threw 700 up on the board against a very strong Middlesex team in the playoffs.
Jon Pinyan

Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

jonpin wrote:My statkeeper is sending me the SQBS file so that I can add the playoff/consolation games. In the meantime, I have 50+ tests and 50+ papers to grade. I'm hoping to get the final stats up sometime this week, but not guaranteed.
I can tell you that (despite being two players short for the first 1.5 games) Independence A averaged ~600 PPG and ~25PPB in the prelims, and threw 700 up on the board against a very strong Middlesex team in the playoffs.
...WOW! That is really impressive! And yeah no rush on the stats...thanks for continuing to run such a wonderful MS tourney! I remember it was one of my best memories from MS quizbowl! See you guys at St. Joes tourney!
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Any update on stats getting posted in the near future?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I apologize that this has slipped down to more than a week. I've got a few days now with a bit more time, so I will be entering the playoff/consolation scores that we have tonight or tomorrow. One thing I can note here, and I'm sorry again that this was delayed, was that there was apparently a scorekeeping error in one of the morning games which affected the identity of the top 10 scorers. Making the correction told to me by the relevant coach/parent does not exactly replicate the individual totals told to me, but it's the best I can do.
As such, I can report that the new apparent individual top scorer is Julia Tong of Middlesex at 92.22 PPG, followed by Ashish Mahuli of Independence at 91 PPG. Soham Shah of Independence is 7th place. If Julia and Soham wish, I can have replacement medals made and I'll try to get them either mailed out or bring them to a later tournament they or their team will be present at.
Jon Pinyan

PopThatFeist
Kimahri

Post by PopThatFeist »

stats?
Phillip Kang
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

Yes, are the stats going up any time soon?
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

jonpin wrote:I will be entering the playoff/consolation scores that we have tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah...stats feel well overdue, but I know you must be busy with work. If we can see stats soon though that would be great (unless they are already out and I am just being stupid...)
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Chunky Sean wrote:
jonpin wrote:I will be entering the playoff/consolation scores that we have tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah...stats feel well overdue, but I know you must be busy with work. If we can see stats soon though that would be great (unless they are already out and I am just being stupid...)
Stats are not out, and considering what you said about stats, they are very overdue, and it is apparent that there are quite a few people who would like to see these. Can we at least get some sort of update?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

Yes, the stats are still not up. Can we at least get an update on when they will go up?
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I apologize greatly. The stats had taken longer than I hoped, because of some errors and some inconsistent data. When I completed them at the end of a long night, I thought I had uploaded them to the QBDB. It turns out I had not.
I have just done so, and both the prelim standings and final results can be viewed here.

I want to recognize the top 10 individuals in further amendment of what was announced at the tournament and above in this thread. After correcting some other data entry errors, I can confirm that Julia Tong was the top scorer with 92.2 PPG, but that Anita Shanker of Briarcliff (88.0 PPG) was 2nd place. There were a number of minor shifts in the top ten. It will be one of my goals next year to make sure the top individuals get double-checked before the end of the day, so that any errors can be fixed before students leave at the end of the day.
Congratulations to Independence, Hunter, and Middlesex on their fine performances, and again I offer my apologies that the stats were not posted in a more timely fashion.
Jon Pinyan