Charter Challenge @Wilmington Charter 2/18/2012

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
bdubbs
Lulu

Charter Challenge @Wilmington Charter 2/18/2012

Post by bdubbs »

The Charter School of Wilmington is pleased to announce our annual Middle School Charter Challenge, to take place on February 18th, 2012. Registration will take place from 8-9am.

We will be using NAQT middle school set MS-03. This question format is a qualifier for a Nationals tournament to be held in Chicago on April 20-22nd, 2012. The top 15% finishers in the Varsity bracket will qualify for this tournament. More information can be found at http://naqt.com/ms/middle-school-quiz-bowl.html.

Fee Structure: $55.00 for the first team, $45.00 for each additional team.

Discounts: $10 off for each buzzer system. Minimum cost per team: $30.00.

Tournament Structure: We will have a total of three divisions in this tournament. The first division is the Varsity division; students are eligible for this division if they are in seventh or eighth grade, or sixth graders who would like a chance to qualify for the nationals tournament. There will also be a 6th grade division and a 5th grade division. A student may compete in a division that is above their grade level but not vice versa. For example, a fifth grader may compete in the sixth grade division but a sixth grader may not compete in the fifth grade division. This is to allow teams to compete even though they may not have four members of the same grade level. Teams in the Varsity division may have mixed teams of seventh and eighth graders (and sixth graders who wish to compete for a nationals spot). We will have trophies for each division.

Registration: Please send an email to [email protected] with Charter Challenge in the subject line or reply to this message. Please include the number of teams, buzzers, and specify which teams are competing in which divisions. Please register ahead of time so that we may include your team(s) on the schedule. Registration will close on the Wednesday before the tournament date.

Directions: Our address is 100 N. Dupont Rd, Wilmington, DE 19807. If you are using a GPS, please do not forget to put the "N" in front of Dupont Rd, as it may direct you to another destination otherwise.
Checks should be written out to the Charter School of Wilmington. You may pay the tournament fees on the day of the competition, or you may mail it to the school beforehand, and ATTN Chris Kramer.

Lunch will be available on site, with pizza, snacks, and soda for sale. You may choose nearby establishments as well, although there are very few.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns. Thank you!

Field Update:

7/8th grade:
All Saints (5)
Anna Holland (1)
Brandywine Springs (8)
Christ the Teacher (1)
Independence (5)
Newark Charter (3)
Shue-Medill (3)
St. Augustine School (2)
Ursuline (2)

6th grade:
All Saints (2)
Christ the Teacher (1)
Independence (1)
Newark Charter (2)
PS Dupont (1)
Shue-Medill (1)
Ursuline (1)

5th grade:
All Saints (2)
Newark Charter (2)
Odyssey Charter (2)
Bohan Wei
CSW '12
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Charter Challenge @Wilmington Charter 2/18/2012

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I'm going to bring CR's buzzer set and help out for moderating (or whatever else is needed) for this tournament.

If there's anyone else in the tri(quad?)-state area that has buzzers they can bring, or (to a lesser extent) moderating skills they can provide, the Charter kids would really appreciate that a lot.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
bdubbs
Lulu

Post by bdubbs »

Thank you again for helping us out, Mr. C.

Also, to all the teams attending: due to the low number of registration for the 5th grade division, we will now be combining it with the 6th grade division for a total of 15 teams. Thank you.
Bohan Wei
CSW '12
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I never heard the final results for this. Were the stats finished yet? I imagine Independence A won, since they had just an awesome team.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I am at fault for the delay in the statistics posting. I had something else to do last weekend and then spent a significant amount of time this week making sure Illinois could have a state qualifier.

I can tell you that the 7-8 final was oustanding, something like 365-350. It was won by Newark Charter A, who was down 100 points to Independence with 3 tossups to go and was saved when a Newark player powered all of the last three questions pretty much on the first clue.

I think Independence A, B, C, and D were all quarterfinalists in the field of 30. And if Charter admits Anna Holland, they are going to be in good shape for a while. She won three prelims matches and the 3-1's play-in game playing by herself.

I will go through the file and then post them this weekend.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Anna Holland
Didn't George's sister make the quarters/semis last year?
Joe
Delaware