CMST 3-- call for writers!

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

CMST 3-- call for writers!

Post by the return of AHAN »

Any chance a CMST 3 ever gets legs? My team is playing MS-02 this weekend and will definitely play MS-03 in the spring, but I KNOW there's room for another set inasmuch as we intend to host another Barrington Invitational on St. Patrick's Day, 2012. I still get a warm feeling at the reaction at our use of CMST I, with players from other teams lauding the greatness of the questions, with one even wanting to send a personal letter to Andy Watkins and Dwight Wynne.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: CMST 3?

Post by cvdwightw »

Moving Day wrote:Any chance a CMST 3 ever gets legs? My team is playing MS-02 this weekend and will definitely play MS-03 in the spring, but I KNOW there's room for another set inasmuch as we intend to host another Barrington Invitational on St. Patrick's Day, 2012. I still get a warm feeling at the reaction at our use of CMST I, with players from other teams lauding the greatness of the questions, with one even wanting to send a personal letter to Andy Watkins and Dwight Wynne.
We don't have any sort of organizational structure - as far as I know, everyone who did major work on last year's CMST (me included) doesn't have the time/energy to do the major writer-coordinating efforts it would take to get this off the ground this month. Would you be interested in overseeing writer recruitment/assignments? I can do most of the editing once my schedule clears up a little bit in December/January.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Post by MichaelFalk »

It's in my best interests for there to be a CMST 3, since my students are looking forward to playing it this spring. I would volunteer as a writer, but is it some sort of a conflict of interest for me to be writing questions my kids will eventually be playing?
--
Michael Falk
Played for Iowa State University, 2001-2004
Coaching for St. Mary's Visitation (Elm Grove, WI), grades 6-8, 2010-present
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

MichaelFalk wrote:It's in my best interests for there to be a CMST 3, since my students are looking forward to playing it this spring. I would volunteer as a writer, but is it some sort of a conflict of interest for me to be writing questions my kids will eventually be playing?
Jeff wrote for CMST last year, so it would probably be fine.

And if this gets off the ground (and I really hope it does) I'm definitely interested in helping to write for and/or edit the set.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
the return of AHAN
Auron

The operating assumption is that no one associated with set production would do it just to feed answers to their kids. So, no, it'd be totally cool for you to write for it. I wrote 10/10 for last year's CMST, while I proofread the first one. The key is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest from other people, particularly in leading the recruitment drive and overseeing the writing assignments. I know I don't have time for it, but would be happy to write another 10/10.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'd be happy to write after the first week in January--the middle-schoolers and freshman whom I read CMST I and II to loved it.

edit: I can do 10/10 or a little more, but I don't have time for organizing.
Last edited by ryanrosenberg on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

This set is going to need about three diehards committed to making it happen no matter what and fifteen contributors willing to write at least 10/10. I am able to write 10/10 sometime in January.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I'm certainly willing to contribute 10/10 in whatever categories, but I can't be a "diehard" because of MSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

I can contribute 10/10 to this in January or February.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

I can contribute some science and do the science/math and history editing.
Last edited by Black-throated Antshrike on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joe
Delaware
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

I could probably write some fine arts for this.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Unless someone else wants it, I can write 10/10 and edit the classical music again.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

I'm willing to write 10/10 also and perhaps do some editing as well if needed.
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I'd be interested in maybe writing a bit of RMP for this.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
the return of AHAN
Auron

All of these writers and ZERO chiefs. Is there anyone who can take on Dwight's role from last year? Maybe Dwight can come back and post an explanation of what needs to be done.
Jeff Price
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Moving Day wrote:All of these writers and ZERO chiefs. Is there anyone who can take on Dwight's role from last year? Maybe Dwight can come back and post an explanation of what needs to be done.
I took on about three separate roles last year, so I've split them up below. I'm really busy this November and won't have the time to get involved in starting this up, but I'll join in once everything else settles down a little.

Facilitator
1. PM everyone who signs up to write to get their e-mail address and the categories they want to write in. Also ask them if they are interested in any sort of subject editing or proofreading.
2. Set up a Google Spreadsheet for answer selection and individual documents for each category (English Language Literature, Juvenile Literature, Other Literature and Language Arts, American History, European History, World/Ancient History, Geography, Life Science, Physical Science, Astronomy, Mathematics, Visual Arts, Auditory Arts, Religion, Mythology, Current Events, Popular Culture).
3. Combine this all into a single folder. Label it "CMST 2012."
4. Share the folder with everyone whose e-mail addresses you have collected.
5. Follows up with each individual writer to secure their writing commitment ("I will have X/X done in these categories by this date").
5. Periodically bumps this thread in case potential new writers are looking at the thread or we need to call for new writers.
A. This job is pretty much over in December except for following up with writers.

Chief Editor
1. Coordinates subject editing schedule.
2. Oversees subject editing and makes final edits for difficulty and repeat replacement.
3. Combines packets and sends them to proofreaders for final cosmetic edits.
4. Presses the panic button at appropriate times when people inevitably start slipping on their assignments.
A. Since I will probably end up having some say in the production schedule regardless, I will take on this role again.

Bid Coordinator
1. Makes official announcement regarding CMST 3 date availability and hosting guidelines.
2. Answers questions from potential hosts (or posts them in the private forum for the group to answer, then sends back the group's response).
3. Starts and runs the "Bids 2012" thread in the private forum that basically makes sure that all of our potential hosts are doing non-crazy things and that no site is going to significantly take away from a second site's field. Once we make sure of that, notify the host that they have been accepted as a host site.
4. Maintains a spreadsheet of host site, host contact, and tournament date (either online or on their own computer).
5. Sends hosts a copy of the set no later than the Tuesday before the tournament; earlier if requested by the host.
6. Follows up with hosts for statistics and set feedback.
7. Optionally, identifies and contacts hosts in potential new areas inquiring into use of our set.
A. This job is pretty easy if you have halfway decent communication skills. It takes about 30 minutes a week on the busy weeks.

Subject editors and writers should be pretty self-explanatory.

Die-hard writers (we need at least 3) are pretty simple: you sign up to write a minimum of 20/20 in "whatever needs to be done." This means you are assigned whatever categories no one signs up to write in. If everyone does their commitment in a timely manner, you're done. If not, you pick up the slack for whatever categories aren't getting written.

READ THIS IF YOU ARE A NEW WRITER: Once you are added to the Google Docs, you need to go into the User Control Panel and add yourself to the CMST User Group. I will confirm you. You should then see the private forum.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Important Bird Area

cvdwightw wrote: FacilitatorA. This job is pretty much over in December except for following up with writers.
Over in December, is it? Well, I'll volunteer to do this then.

Also: whoever ends up doing job #3 (organizing the bids) should get in touch with me. I suspect my inbox in February and March is going to be full of "how do we strengthen our wildcard bid for MSNCT?" and "this is our first time going to nationals, how should we prepare?" It would be awesome to have this set available to answer those questions.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
cvdwightw wrote: FacilitatorA. This job is pretty much over in December except for following up with writers.
Over in December, is it? Well, I'll volunteer to do this then.
Thanks Jeff. Yeah, the Facilitator's job is to pretty much get everything started, making sure that we have enough writers to complete the set and that they're all able to access the Google Docs and user groups. After that, it'll be my job to make sure everyone is doing the right things and on time.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

I'll volunteer to be one of these "die-hard writers."
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
the return of AHAN
Auron

Obviously, I'll write at least 10/10 in whatever seems to be needed... Sports, Geography, History, Math, etc.
Jeff Price
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

I'll volunteer to be the bid coordinator. Jeff, I'll be in touch via email.
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I can be one of the die-hard writers if needed. Otherwise, just give me 10/10 in anything.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Post by MichaelFalk »

Sure. I'll do 10/10 too. I prefer science, math, or geography, but I'll write whatever is needed.
--
Michael Falk
Played for Iowa State University, 2001-2004
Coaching for St. Mary's Visitation (Elm Grove, WI), grades 6-8, 2010-present
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Yeah to clarify, I can do 10/10 of Fine arts (whether it be visual or auditory arts).
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

I'd be happy to write 10/10, preferably in science.
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
the return of AHAN
Auron

Jeff,
Any idea where we stand with writing needs to this point? Do we need to recruit more writers for certain subject areas?
Jeff Price
Important Bird Area

Quite possibly. I'll take advantage of this to spend some of today setting up the google docs and tallying up the existing writing commitments.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

OK, the google docs are up and running and shared with everyone who posted in this thread offering to write.

By my count, we have 14 volunteers to write 10/10. That totals 140/140, or about two-thirds of what we need. I think we can find enough additional writers to push us over the top.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Edward Elric
Tidus

Re: CMST 3-- call for writers!

Post by Edward Elric »

Is anyone else getting an error message when trying to open the google doc?
Mike Perovanovic
Wheaton North '09
the return of AHAN
Auron

I'm able to open it.
Jeff Price
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

bt_green_warbler wrote:OK, the google docs are up and running and shared with everyone who posted in this thread offering to write.

By my count, we have 14 volunteers to write 10/10. That totals 140/140, or about two-thirds of what we need. I think we can find enough additional writers to push us over the top.
Can you make a separate section for bonus answers, as I didn't see a place for them
Joe
Delaware
Important Bird Area

I did forget to do that! Just a second...

All fixed!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

bt_green_warbler wrote:I did forget to do that! Just a second...

All fixed!

Also, I hate to be that guy, but is there going to be CMST3 user group or is the old one being resurrected?
Last edited by Black-throated Antshrike on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
Delaware
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:Cted

All fixed!

Also, I hate to be that guy, but is there going to be CMST3 user group or is the old one being resurrected?
We're just using the same CMST user group as last time - it's easier than creating a new group. It's not like there are any skeletons in the few threads there that we don't want people to see.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

cvdwightw wrote:
Andrew Jackson's Compatriot wrote:

All fixed!

We're just using the same CMST user group as last time - it's easier than creating a new group. It's not like there are any skeletons in the few threads there that we don't want people to see.
Got it
Joe
Delaware
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

A few words of advice:

This tournament could still use more writers. If you are willing and able to write 10/10 but haven't already volunteered to do so, don't be shy.

If everybody waits until the last second to write/post their questions, this set suffers a crisis of confidence and there is less time for editing. If you have time to write and post questions in the next two or three weeks, you provide a huge service to this set by doing that, even if it's not all of the questions you agreed to write. (I've already stated that I am not going to be fulfilling this role this year, but it would help a lot if other people did.)

Communication is huge. Whenever anybody from this set contacts you about writing and editing, reply by stating what you are going to do and when you are going to do it. If you are not going to do anything, then it is especially important that you reply and state that you are not going to do anything. Only agree to do work that you actually will do, and if that falls apart for any reason, then apologize and clarify things ASAP.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
gstoye
Lulu

Post by gstoye »

I would like to contribute to the set. In what areas do you need the most help?

Gene
Gene Stoye
Academic Team Advisor
MAST Sandy Hook NJ
Important Bird Area

A quick look through the claims reveals that most people who have expressed preferences have noted science or fine arts. So history, literature, or current events would be great.

That being said, we also have about eight people who have signed up for "10/10 of whatever" (and because this is a middle school set, that's a credible claim even for people writing outside their usual categories.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

bt_green_warbler wrote:A quick look through the claims reveals that most people who have expressed preferences have noted science or fine arts. So history, literature, or current events would be great.

That being said, we also have about eight people who have signed up for "10/10 of whatever" (and because this is a middle school set, that's a credible claim even for people writing outside their usual categories.)
In the past, non-math science, auditory arts, and all of the literature/language arts categories have been the hardest to fill. I think we ought to be fine with the first two given the number of people preferring those categories, but literature (especially juvenile/young adult literature, which has historically been the last category filled) is still a major need.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

If there are no objections, it looks like I'll be writing 10/10 Mythology for this.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

bt_green_warbler wrote:A quick look through the claims reveals that most people who have expressed preferences have noted science or fine arts. So history, literature, or current events would be great.
I'm interested in signing on as a writer for this, assuming a 10/10 requirement. I'm most comfortable contributing history, but I could also chip in for literature or CE at this level.

What is the time frame for completion of our assignments? Also, what should we aim for in terms of difficulty, length, and style?
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

I don't have time to work on this for another month, but I can edit the Myth and some or all of the "History" like last year. I will write an unknown number questions in any non-science category if they still aren't completely written by the time my winter break starts.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Important Bird Area

mhayes wrote:What is the time frame for completion of our assignments? Also, what should we aim for in terms of difficulty, length, and style?
We plan to make the set available in mid-February, so writers should shoot for late January. Of course, earlier would be great if you can make it.

Difficulty/length/style are summarized in Dwight's welcome post in the CMST forum (select this usergroup in your control panels, if you haven't already, and Dwight will give you access.) When in doubt, check the two previous sets on the archive and aim for something similar.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'd certainly be willing to help contribute to this. I could write 10/10 history, but I also wouldn't mind editing some of the history for this (Charles, would you like to do some of the World History, and I could do US History, or vice versa?)

EDIT: I seem to be having trouble finding the CMST user group. Could someone help me to find this?

EDIT 2: I found it. I was just blind and couldn't see it at first.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

MickeyR0urke wrote: EDIT: I seem to be having trouble finding the CMST user group. Could someone help me to find this?
Look for it in the User Control Panel under "User Groups".
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
African threadfish
Lulu

Post by African threadfish »

Be happy to do 10/10 in whatever you need: would prefer history (US or World), geography, or civics as these are the subjects that I teach. However, I could easily do 10/10 in: sports, lit, grammar/spelling/English type stuff, or mythology if that is needed.

Just keep me away from mathematics, as I am a bit of a "mathematical Luddite" :roll:
Kristin Burns -Middle School and High School Scholastic Bowl Coach
Keith Country Day School - Rockford, Illinois
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

I can do 10/10, preferably history.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I'd be willing to do 10/10 in American history.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Hey everyone that has signed up to write for this, could you please start at least posting your proposed answer lines, so we can get a feel for what we have people to write for and what we still need to recruit people to write for?
Joe
Delaware
Khanate
Lulu

Post by Khanate »

I can probably write 10/10 of some mix or Science, Geography, Music, and Trash
Adil Khan
Chattahoochee '11
Duke Dec '15
NAQT writer