How to learn in-depth clues to answer question early?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rykov03
Kimahri

How to learn in-depth clues to answer question early?

Post by Rykov03 »

So in past tournaments, I have answered 6-8 "powers" (early buzzing) for our team. However, there are questions that my teammate has gotten so early on clues that I'm like how does he know that? I get shocked but at the same time I'm like sweeet! extra points! Some clues I've learned and kept in my head were: {VARIOUS THINGS FROM A CURRENTLY IN-USE NAQT SET}

User was warned not to post content from currently mirrored sets, to enable a signature, to speak English, etc. --the mgmt
TylerV
Wakka

Re: How to learn in-depth clues to answer question early?

Post by TylerV »

A good way to learn clues that come up a lot in toss ups(and thus sometimes early) is to use a database search. The most popular one(and really the only one that works) currently is http://www.Quinterest.org. But a database has its limits(it only has so many packets) and there's always the possibility of a set using clues that haven't been used before.

Things like the {NAQT CONTENT}. Wikipedia is a good source of information but is generally hard to retain just because of how much information there is.

Overall your best option is to read books and gain general information about a topic(many, if not all books, on the {NAQT CONTENT} because, as previously stated, its an important even in its history), following that reading packets from the database>Using a database search like Quinterest>Using Wikipedia is how I would rate other sources(in order of usefulness).
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

I'd like to also plug http://aseemsdb.me here, it has a massive number of pdf packets, but you'd need to first search on the database, find the pdf you want, then ctrl+f for what you want.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

TylerV wrote: Overall your best option is to read books and gain general information about a topic.
Any chance we can have a sticky in this section that says "READ A BOOK"?
Jacob R., ex-Chicago